Wines of the Week

sipafz

Caught the Bug
For sure. I need a better one of those and a decanter. Just been lazy. Lol. The aerator I have seems to stir up the sediment. This being a 2011, I wanted to not take the chance.

Some have a screen, but a slow while decanting helps too. Maybe Brute will chime in with how he preps those 30 year Bordeaux’s?

JAGS

Hooked
Some have a screen, but a slow while decanting helps too. Maybe Brute will chime in with how he preps those 30 year Bordeaux’s?

Yeah. I’ve been digging around and researching. Most the screens are for catching cork. But the sediment is much finer.

Maybe brute should invite us over and show us in person. I’m a slow learner so might take more than one bottle. [emoji23][emoji485][emoji485]

Brute

Hooked

Yeah. I’ve been digging around and researching. Most the screens are for catching cork. But the sediment is much finer.

Maybe brute should invite us over and show us in person. I’m a slow learner so might take more than one bottle. [emoji23][emoji485][emoji485]

My preference is to try and let the wine open in the bottle, and disturb the sediment as little as possible...I'll pour a little out into a wine glass to give the bottle a little more head space...the French have a neat trick to put the bottle into an angled bottle holder (after pouring out two glasses) to increase surface to air ratio. On rare occasions I'll decant a bottle...usually a vary old bottle, and give it an hour.
I'm more than happy to pop open a bunch of bottles anytime you come by...either in HI or WA

sipafz

Caught the Bug

I like how you think! After all, we’re old enough to appreciate a good glass of wine!

My preference is to try and let the wine open in the bottle, and disturb the sediment as little as possible...I'll pour a little out into a wine glass to give the bottle a little more head space...the French have a neat trick to put the bottle into an angled bottle holder (after pouring out two glasses) to increase surface to air ratio. On rare occasions I'll decant a bottle...usually a vary old bottle, and give it an hour.
I'm more than happy to pop open a bunch of bottles anytime you come by...either in HI or WA

That does sound like a neat trick and I will have to keep an eye out for something like that!

Idk, between your locations, Jeeps, wine cellar and all that great food you post, one might never leave.

JAGS

Hooked
This is one heck of a club shipment right here. Cab comes in at 97pts. The Mourvèdre and the Mourvèdre/Syrah blend come in at 92/93 pts. And a treana red cab/Syrah. [emoji485][emoji485][emoji485]

I didn’t even know they made a rosé, so something new there.

IMG_4864.jpg

JAGS

Hooked
Well, been another busy week. Enjoyed just a couple bottles.

This Verdelho from Santa Barbara is so bomb. The last of several bottles we had. Need to make another run up the coast.

IMG_4891.jpg

This Pinot came from a club membership and did not disappoint. Nicely balanced. I think it had a 94 pt rating. Not sure I’d put it that high though.

IMG_4928.jpg

sipafz

Caught the Bug
For sure. I need a better one of those and a decanter. Just been lazy. Lol. The aerator I have seems to stir up the sediment. This being a 2011, I wanted to not take the chance.

For some reason I found myself thinking about this more as I used my Vinturi Aerator:

IMG_6935.jpg

The stand alone types do not disturb the sediment any more than pouring the wine from the bottle. I like the Vinturi and use it with older reds where sediment might be an issue. I also have a Pampered Chef bottle mount which is handy for Pinot’s and other younger reds.

JAGS

Hooked
For some reason I found myself thinking about this more as I used my Vinturi Aerator:

View attachment 300422

The stand alone types do not disturb the sediment any more than pouring the wine from the bottle. I like the Vinturi and use it with older reds where sediment might be an issue. I also have a Pampered Chef bottle mount which is handy for Pinot’s and other younger reds.

That Vinturi or similar is the way to go as it doesn’t stir up air in the bottle itself. Got a pic of the PC one?

Top Bottom