Hole in oil pan

Noble Woodsman

That'd be pretty hard to accomplish unless there was a catastrophic failure. And for that to happen twice?

View attachment 336539

Yep. I was trying to brainstorm why the hole would appear in the same location twice. Throwing bolts internally seems unlikely to hit the same spot twice. It's sounding more like the hole was patched and the latch failed, as was suggested by others.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

quertyman

I've had this happen to me. A while back I had a truss welded onto the axle and went wheeling where I bent my upper control arm. The axle shifted back and the truss ran into my oil pan. Didn't notice until I was heading home on the freeway and the engine cut and I found the oil trail going down the road.

bhawghead

Okay, I think I finally have all the answers to this debacle. He says his mechanic told him the bolt holding the lower timing chain sprocket came out causing the initial hole in the front, which he told me last month he had a new head and timing chains installed because of a collapsed lifter and stuck valve, this i did not know. The second hole was actually not in the same place, it was actually the weep hole in flywheel cover he was seeing. After they replaced the oil pan and "bolt", they failed to seal the pan in the rear properly which started pouring oil. Thanks for all the helpful tips though, he had me stumped when he was explaining all this to me.

WJCO

Meme King
... the bolt holding the lower timing chain sprocket came out causing the initial hole in the front, which he told me last month he had a new head and timing chains installed because of a collapsed lifter and stuck valve,

So is he going to take the oil pan bill to the first shop that did the timing chain work and have them pay for it? Sounds like they left a bolt loose when they did the timing repair.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Okay, I think I finally have all the answers to this debacle. He says his mechanic told him the bolt holding the lower timing chain sprocket came out causing the initial hole in the front, which he told me last month he had a new head and timing chains installed because of a collapsed lifter and stuck valve, this i did not know. The second hole was actually not in the same place, it was actually the weep hole in flywheel cover he was seeing. After they replaced the oil pan and "bolt", they failed to seal the pan in the rear properly which started pouring oil. Thanks for all the helpful tips though, he had me stumped when he was explaining all this to me.

I recommend he not look in the bottom of the barrel for a mechanic. These issues will continue to happen if he hires morons! Good luck to your friend on his warranty/small claims case!

Edit: Being mostly sarcastic but god damn that's some shitty work.

Top Bottom