The building of Anvil II -- The Deuce

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Finally got around to fixing the rear axle outer seal leak. It was raining like a mofo, so I put my Frogg Toggs on, and got to it. I followed Wayoflife’s write up...

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...-Axle-Shaft-Removal-amp-Installation-Write-Up

Here’s a shot of the Timken bearings, and seal. Timken Set 10 bearing, and seal part #9912S.
IMG_1150.jpg

As you can see, it was pretty oily.
IMG_1164.jpg

Shaft didn’t want to come out easy, but I had a slide hammer.
IMG_1167.jpg

Using a Dremel, I scored the race and bearing, being careful not to nick the shaft.
IMG_1169.jpg
IMG_1171.jpg

You then have to tap the race and bearing to get them to separate enough to slide off.
IMG_1175.jpg

I cleaned everything up, and pressed the new parts on. I’ll take pics of that, when I do the other side. It had really started to come down, and I was losing daylight, quickly.

I did have a minor setback. I couldn’t get the shaft to go back in. Being in a rush, I forgot this part...
IMG_1186.jpg

Once I figured out what I did wrong, everything went back, well. What can I say. I’m a rookie mechanic. Now, to see if it holds.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

Nice that you got it done.

I was in to big a rush. I was pissed for about 2 hours, Sunday, because I couldn’t get the shaft in. I sat around thinking about it, and realized I’d skipped a step. I was able to get it back together, before work this morning.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Good job on the repair. I always have to read and reread about 5 times for fear of forgetting something. And somehow, I always forget something!

notnalc68

Update: Traded this leaking S.O.B. in. It’s leaking oil worse, than before they “fixed” it. Stay tuned, a JL is coming. I’ll be stuffing away all my nickels, and it may be 9 months, or so.

I’m not Jeepless, though.

IMG_1288.jpg
IMG_1282.jpg

Last edited:

notnalc68

Well shit that sucks that you have to start over again

Sent from my 9024W using WAYALIFE mobile app

We’ve had it in for warranty work, twice. It takes 2 or 3 weeks. We had discussed doing this if it leaked again. Honestly, I could have gotten a JL out of it, if I tried, but I decided to save up a really good down payment, and buy one later. I’ll probably order a 2019, since the dealers around here seem not to order Rubicon’s.

Dale72

Hooked
We’ve had it in for warranty work, twice. It takes 2 or 3 weeks. We had discussed doing this if it leaked again. Honestly, I could have gotten a JL out of it, if I tried, but I decided to save up a really good down payment, and buy one later. I’ll probably order a 2019, since the dealers around here seem not to order Rubicon’s.

Yeah the last time I was home two weeks ago the one in Flowood didn't have any JL'S that is why I ask which lot you was at

Sent from my 9024W using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

Did you take anything off the Jk?

I didn’t have time. Fortunately I’m working a lot of overtime, so that will help. I’m working 50 to 60 hours a week, and this was one of the only days I had. I’d like to have gotten the winch off, but it’s gone. It has almost 60,000 on it, and if we started to have to pay to fix it, that wouldn’t be good.

Top Bottom