Disaster averted

fiend

Caught the Bug
Wouldn't welded on C-gussets strengthen that area a bit? Maybe it would have cracked anyways.

If I had to replace knuckles though, I'd get Ranchos.

The knuckle broke, not the axle end.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

C gussets go on the Cs, this was the knuckle.

As noted, it was the knuckle that cracked. The inner Cs are on a PR44, without gussets.

I can only speculate about the cause. I do the harder trails, but pretty conservatively as BaddestCross and others can attest. As suggested earlier in the thread, I suspect that the stock knuckles just become marginal with 37s and a rig that’s much heavier than stock. Given that the Jeep is 8 years old and has been to Moab, the Rubicon, etc., I would think that a manufacturing defect would have manifested a long time ago. Just accumulated stress, I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
Pics of the PSC ram mounted on top of the tie rod.

I have a PR44 and this is the track bar / ram bracket from Synergy MFG,
https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-jeep-jk-front-axle-track-bar-bracket.html?category_id=4956

I originally had a Synergy tie rod but upgraded and the larger diameter was hitting so instead of cutting off the tabs, moving them up and rewelding, I inserted a metal spacer between the tabs and mounted it on the top tab. Been that way for a couple of years no issues.

I see there are knuckle comparison pics link posted which shows the difference much better.

Here is the ram, ample clearance:

20181210_163926.jpg

20181210_163931.jpg

20181210_163935.jpg

fiend

Caught the Bug
Pics of the PSC ram mounted on top of the tie rod.

I have a PR44 and this is the track bar / ram bracket from Synergy MFG,
https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-jeep-jk-front-axle-track-bar-bracket.html?category_id=4956

I originally had a Synergy tie rod but upgraded and the larger diameter was hitting so instead of cutting off the tabs, moving them up and rewelding, I inserted a metal spacer between the tabs and mounted it on the top tab. Been that way for a couple of years no issues.

Thanks. We basically have the same set up, down to the Synergy TB bracket. When I replaced by bent tie rod with a larger diameter Currie unit, I got a small amount of rubbing with the nut on the ram bolt at the TB bracket. Moving the tabs up seemed to be the solution, but it looks like your solution works too.

I’m debating whether to “upgrade” the knuckles to Ranchos or Reids. I’m not jazzed about dropping 400 or so bucks, but if they are much stronger I might be persuaded. In the meantime, Hawaiian Santa (Brute) has very generously gifted his unused stock knuckles to get me back in the trail.

Thanks to you both! [emoji482]

wjtstudios

Hooked
Santa Brute to the Rescue!

I have to believe the Reid’s are significant stronger. Here’s a picture I found comparing them.

IMG_0156.JPG

How much you’d have to discuss with them. But in the picture, you can see how much that tie rod gets raised.

JKbrick

I'll post up some pics later today.

From what I recall, the Rancho seemed beefier. I bought them when they first came out to replace the knuckle where the lower ball joint hole had ovaled.

I think I still have the old knuckle, if I do I'll try to get a comparison photo.

You shipped your passenger side knuckle to me when I undid the drag link flip

jeeeep

Hooked
Thanks. We basically have the same set up, down to the Synergy TB bracket. When I replaced by bent tie rod with a larger diameter Currie unit, I got a small amount of rubbing with the nut on the ram bolt at the TB bracket. Moving the tabs up seemed to be the solution, but it looks like your solution works too.

I’m debating whether to “upgrade” the knuckles to Ranchos or Reids. I’m not jazzed about dropping 400 or so bucks, but if they are much stronger I might be persuaded. In the meantime, Hawaiian Santa (Brute) has very generously gifted his unused stock knuckles to get me back in the trail.

Thanks to you both! [emoji482]

I was getting that same small amount of rubbing on the tie rod as well and it just didn't seem worth moving the tabs for that small amount.
The spacer has worked out great.
Just get a slightly longer bolt and I went from the bottom up.

Top Bottom