EVO Skins came in!

desertrunner

I just did these like 2 weeks ago on my 2 door and this is my second set. This round went WAY better than my last one so I'll share what I did.

Use some Irwin quick grip clamps (or similar) to clamp them up to mark holes, when you mark the holes make sure you push the body armor up to the body if it's not touching before you mark the hole. A few spots on mine were like 1" away from the body so we by hand squeezed it up there like it will sit when it's tight to mark the holes if that makes sence. I then used a punch to get a good mark for the drill bit. I didn't use any smaller bits just went straight for the 3/8" bit which is a hair smaller than the diameter of the nutsert so you may need to do a few in and outs with the drill bit to get the whole slightly bigger. Also some of the holes have to go through more than just the first layer of sheet metal, some of the metal on the edges and the bottom are really close together and the nutsert won't fit in far enough to get clamped down. With that in mind try not to wreck the first hole drilling the second deeper hole (so to speak). I then used some touch up paint to paint the holes. Put a dab of red lock tight on the nutserts and used that same Astro tool to clamp them. And as mentioned practice it once or twice as it is strong enough to really jack those things up. I let the lock tight dry for like 30 mins then bolted them up and they fit pretty damn good (a hell of a lot better than my 1st set that ended up with a few popped rivets that spun with the bolt half way out due to the holes not lining up right)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I just did these like 2 weeks ago on my 2 door and this is my second set. This round went WAY better than my last one so I'll share what I did.

Use some Irwin quick grip clamps (or similar) to clamp them up to mark holes, when you mark the holes make sure you push the body armor up to the body if it's not touching before you mark the hole. A few spots on mine were like 1" away from the body so we by hand squeezed it up there like it will sit when it's tight to mark the holes if that makes sence. I then used a punch to get a good mark for the drill bit. I didn't use any smaller bits just went straight for the 3/8" bit which is a hair smaller than the diameter of the nutsert so you may need to do a few in and outs with the drill bit to get the whole slightly bigger. Also some of the holes have to go through more than just the first layer of sheet metal, some of the metal on the edges and the bottom are really close together and the nutsert won't fit in far enough to get clamped down. With that in mind try not to wreck the first hole drilling the second deeper hole (so to speak). I then used some touch up paint to paint the holes. Put a dab of red lock tight on the nutserts and used that same Astro tool to clamp them. And as mentioned practice it once or twice as it is strong enough to really jack those things up. I let the lock tight dry for like 30 mins then bolted them up and they fit pretty damn good (a hell of a lot better than my 1st set that ended up with a few popped rivets that spun with the bolt half way out due to the holes not lining up right)

They turned out fantastic!:thumb:

FuriousDz

Thanks, I will keep all of that in mind. I was wondering about having to drill through both walls. The directions actually say only drill through the first.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

Thanks, I will keep all of that in mind. I was wondering about having to drill through both walls. The directions actually say only drill through the first.

Not sure how many you will have on the 4dr but on my 2 door I think I had 3 or 4 holes out of the 14 on each side that needed to go through more than just the first layer. Now if you can get the nutsert in to about half way down the grooved area it should be fine as it starts to fold on itself there but if I remember right there were at least 2 on each size that weren't even close to fitting without going through 2 layers.

FuriousDz

Weather permitting I should be installing these this weekend.

Any advantage to doing this with the doors off or on?

desertrunner

Weather permitting I should be installing these this weekend.

Any advantage to doing this with the doors off or on?
I took my doors off to do it just so I had a surface to clamp on. You might be able to do it just with the door open if you detach the teather but it's just easier to get them out of the way. In my experience doing one clamped and not clamped I highly recommend clamping them down and use 2 ppl to hold them into place to mark the holes. If you have the time and space to take the doors off it will help.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Not sure how many you will have on the 4dr but on my 2 door I think I had 3 or 4 holes out of the 14 on each side that needed to go through more than just the first layer. Now if you can get the nutsert in to about half way down the grooved area it should be fine as it starts to fold on itself there but if I remember right there were at least 2 on each size that weren't even close to fitting without going through 2 layers.

Yup, particularly around the fenderwells. It's that bracing behind it you have to clearance to get the nutsert fully seated.

FuriousDz

I took my doors off to do it just so I had a surface to clamp on. You might be able to do it just with the door open if you detach the teather but it's just easier to get them out of the way. In my experience doing one clamped and not clamped I highly recommend clamping them down and use 2 ppl to hold them into place to mark the holes. If you have the time and space to take the doors off it will help.

Ok I figured that. I will have 2 of us helping but I was definitely buying the clamps as well. thanks

Yup, particularly around the fenderwells. It's that bracing behind it you have to clearance to get the nutsert fully seated.

Ok so any particular depth I should be thinking about marking the drill bit so theres no guess work?

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Ok so any particular depth I should be thinking about marking the drill bit so theres no guess work?

Not really. It's a look-and-feel kinda thing. Start your hole with the step bit and take a regular drill bit of the same size to the second layer just deep enough to get the nutsert in.

USMC Wrangler

Holy thread revival! I know.

I’m finally the proud owner of these and want to tackle the job ASAP.

After reading through this...is the use of RTV around the entire perimeter a rest preventative or something else? Wouldn’t it be better to do the edges after it’s installed to get a good seal? I found this on Amazon. Is this what you guys have used successfully? Does a standard caulk gun work?

IMG_6797.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Holy thread revival! I know.

I’m finally the proud owner of these and want to tackle the job ASAP.

After reading through this...is the use of RTV around the entire perimeter a rest preventative or something else? Wouldn’t it be better to do the edges after it’s installed to get a good seal?

Thanks in advance!

I think doing the edges after the install would get ugly very quickly. I thought of the RTV as a gasket to avoid metal to metal contact ( eliminate rubbing and paint removal etc.) and as a rust preventative when I did mine. The hardest part of the install is drilling the holes in exactly the right places because the inserts don't have much tolerance for misalignment. I ended up clamping the skin in place and drilling the center holes as described in the directions then putting the skin back in place and used it as a drill guide for the other holes. Just drilled through the skin holes with it in place. That turned out to work very well, highly recommended. Have fun with it. They look great when they're installed.

Ddays

Hooked
I used silicone on the top of mine but left the bottom open. I didn't want to seal all of the edges to allow for some air circulation and condensation to get out.

Edit: I used black silicone. I thought the clear would get shitty looking

Exodus 4x4

I’ve taken a few sets off that have been siliconed on top, including a set installed by ORE that were sealed up so well on top I thought I was going to bend the sheet metal removing them. In every case they still had a considerable amount of silt behind them.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Why would you ever take them off? The body’s all full of holes and the paint’s surely suffered from the process. So what would be the point?

Ddays

Hooked
I do take mine off over Winter to clean up behind them. Its a pain in the ass but I want to make sure there is no rust starting anywhere. While there is some silt, in my case there was less than when I didn't have the silicone on the top of the skin. I'm due again in a month or so. I'll try to remember to post up some pics before it gets cleaned up.

Edit: I only apply the silicone once the skin is installed at the top seam. I don't apply it to the paint behind the skins - fuck that! You'd never get the damn things off.

Last edited:

Andy5160

Hooked
I do take mine off over Winter to clean up behind them. Its a pain in the ass but I want to make sure there is no rust starting anywhere. While there is some silt, in my case there was less than when I didn't have the silicone on the top of the skin. I'm due again in a month or so. I'll try to remember to post up some pics before it gets cleaned up.

Edit: I only apply the silicone once the skin is installed at the top seam. I don't apply it to the paint behind the skins - fuck that! You'd never get the damn things off.

Good to know [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Good point with Ddays! I remember someone removing theirs and it looked like ass behind it. Might have been on Noroads thread. So I can see the purpose.

Top Bottom