Matt's build

BaddestCross

I'll take a few pictures of my rig tomorrow and the exhaust and post them.

The headers are ok. The are a hotter so I wrapped them and cut out a small portion of my wheel well liners to help with the extra heat. I also have to retorque the bolts every 1,000 miles or so. I did not notice any power gains but I have more faith that I won't have to worry about them developing cracks.

The exhaust is "Dynomax 39516 Ultra Flo Stainless" kit. I ordered it off of Amazon. So far it's worked great but is a bit on the loud side for my wife and kids.

For rock lights, I'm running ten Eagle Eye 9W
LED lights that I originally bought on eBay. I fanned up my own wiring and mounts. My current set are from Amazon. They are supposed to water proof, but over for years about half of them had burnt out that I got on eBay. So far the LEDs I bought on Amazon are working perfectly.

'07 JKUR ... mod'ing never stops...

Gaaa... Don't think I could handle having to torque the bolts that often. These are actual "header" bolts being used? Last time I ran headers was on my 94 Ram and don't think I ever had to torque them more than once after I had them installed.

Yeah, the Dynomax muffler seems to be more of a resonator than a muffler. It fits really nice up in the frame, but the sound is almost the same without a muffler at all.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Gaaa... Don't think I could handle having to torque the bolts that often. These are actual "header" bolts being used? Last time I ran headers was on my 94 Ram and don't think I ever had to torque them more than once after I had them installed.

Yeah, the Dynomax muffler seems to be more of a resonator than a muffler. It fits really nice up in the frame, but the sound is almost the same without a muffler at all.

It's loud but not nearly as bad as no muffler. Here is a picture from the driver's side.
IMG_5834.JPG

Here are a few other pictures:
IMG_5833.JPG

IMG_5681.JPG

I'll try to get a few pictures tonight of the rock lights.

'07 JKUR ... mod'ing never stops...

BaddestCross

Nice Jeep! Thanks for sharing the photos. 🍻

I think I've got the same muffler, just that the tail pipe goes all the way to the back. Had I realized they had a kit that just dumped before the axle I probably would've gone with that. I'll either remove the trim piece and cut the tip flush with the bumper or call Dynomax and order the piece to replace the tail pipe with the one that dumps before the axle.
20170812_183507.jpg 20170812_183523.jpg

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Nice Jeep! Thanks for sharing the photos. [emoji482]

I think I've got the same muffler, just that the tail pipe goes all the way to the back. Had I realized they had a kit that just dumped before the axle I probably would've gone with that. I'll either remove the trim piece and cut the tip flush with the bumper or call Dynomax and order the piece to replace the tail pipe with the one that dumps before the axle.
View attachment 272533 View attachment 272534

Your's is looking nice too! I like the color match internal plates on your Poison Spider rock rails!

Here are the pictures of my rock lights on:
IMG_5845.JPG

IMG_5850.JPG

IMG_5846.JPG

IMG_5847.JPG

IMG_5848.JPG

You are seeing two colors of light because my first set of the Eagle Eye LEDs were around 7000K (blue) and the new set are closer to 4000K (white). I have been replacing the older LEDs as the burn out with the 4000K ones. I know the different light shades will bother some people but I'm fine with it.

'07 JKUR

BaddestCross

Your's is looking nice too! I like the color match internal plates on your Poison Spider rock rails!

You are seeing two colors of light because my first set of the Eagle Eye LEDs were around 7000K (blue) and the new set are closer to 4000K (white). I have been replacing the older LEDs as the burn out with the 4000K ones. I know the different light shades will bother some people but I'm fine with it.

'07 JKUR

Thanks! They need some touching up, as you can see. 😎

I saw Eagle Eye lights on Amazon, but but wasn't sure about the sizes. Do you remember which ones you bought?

Yeah, I'm more partial to the white, but it's cool that you can just change them as they burn up.

You made your own mounts? Any photos of them by any chance? If I'm looking at the same lights, they're round with a threaded case on them, right? I was curious as to how those could be mounted on a Jeep.

I'm considering getting two sets of rock lights.. one bright white and the other red and running them off a 3-position switch. Partially for looks, but also red doesn't mess with your low-light vision at night, so I was thinking it might be good for camping or a quick walk-around inspection in the dark.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Yes the LEDs are the round ones with the threaded mounting base. They look like bolts but with an LED for the head.

Here are a few pictures:
IMG_5852.JPG
View of a light mounted inside of my rock rails.

IMG_5853.JPG

I used several times of fabricated mounts, each to suit the mounting location I wanted to use for the LED. This may seem weird but have a lot of curtain rod hanger mounts (various types) from multiple sets of curtains that we no longer use. I tried to use plastic mounts to avoid bi-metallic corrosion, but in some places I had to some pieces of scrap metal for the mounts. I simply drilled a hole the diameter of the LED screw side and then another hole for the bolt I used to mount the bracket. I tired to re-use bolts that were already in the undercarriage (i.e. Body mounts, etc.). So far all of the mounts have worked great and I haven't had one fail.

'07 JKUR

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
It been a long time since I updated this thread.

So after running the Ultra Flo “muffler” for a few years I finally got tired of it. Too loud and the drone (2,200-2,500 rpms which is where I tend to drive at RPM-wise). So after a lot of online research I went with the Dynomax Super Turbo muffler and re-used the other kit components that I had from the dynomax competition kit. The biggest draw back I found was that it’s constructed out of “aluminumized” steel, not stainless. So I topcoated it high temp heat paint to help prevent the corrosion.

Here are a few pictures:
674529A8-A5EE-4F34-9AF5-A0235C9BDF64.jpg 66DD81DC-4FF1-475A-97DB-025EF1D4B89B.jpg 72FB10A7-3B2E-4D04-ABCB-402FA5BC5888.jpg ACFD9572-96DC-4680-A88D-668E582E2F39.jpg 57CF7233-5EED-464B-B748-1BADBCDA5312.jpg 9BC10D9F-CDC1-431C-839B-F81C2AE52DBD.jpg 12A33770-3E83-437F-AA25-51779C49D80C.jpg B8E7F16D-473E-402E-BF0B-7A04B02BD878.jpg F75B899D-950C-406F-809F-DE3B6A838BBA.jpg

The install took me about 30 minutes. So far I am getting a plastic burning smell from the paint, but that is decreasing each time I drive it. So far I have about 150 miles on it and the installed pictures were taken this morning so the paint seems to be holding up. Time will tell. The more important part to me is the sounds is a bit deeper, about 3 decibells less and no drone. I’m very happy with this mod so far.

Top Bottom