JL Wrangler Hits the Rubicon Trail

longarmwj

In that last pic, the springs and everything look shockingly similar to a JK.....makes you wonder if some parts will be compatible

RSQCON

So I just got back from running the Rubicon and can confirm that Jeep did indeed have 3 camouflaged Jeeps on the Rubicon Trail, (1) 2dr and (2) 4dr. They also had a white and gecko green JKU in the group along with the El Dorado Co. Sheriff's JK. I was able to observe the group for a good majority of the day as we crossed paths a number of times.

Our first encounter was getting stuck behind their slow moving group. There was another group between them and us so at the time we didn't know what was taking the 3 JKUs in front of us so long. At one point we came to a complete stop and we ended up walking up the trail to see what was going on. Nothing much to report here as they stopped for lunch before Little Sluce and we passed them.

Our second encounter was actually at Little Sluce. We were getting ready to make our way up it when a Land Cruiser crested the top of the hill and stopped. One of the guys in their group torn a brake line on his TJ. After a small delay they decided to use the Land Cruiser to tow the TJ out. By this time the Jeep group had started up the bypass. Once the Land Cruiser and TJ were out of the way my buddy made it up Little Sluce while I followed. He crested the top and the Jeep group jumped in between us. They eventually let me pass and rejoin my buddy. Only thing to report here is the camouflaged Jeeps were dragging their undercarriages quite a bit on some of the rocks at the base of the bypass.

Our third and final encounter was by far the most intriguing. We had setup our camp just the other side of the dam at Buck Island. As we were setting up our tents the Jeep group was making their way up a section that was slightly challenging. There were 3 ways up the section and they choose what I would consider the middle option which is how we came up. The white JKU led the group the entire way and made it up without an issue. Second up was a camouflaged 4 door. He got high centered and they had the Jeep Jamboree USA guides trying to rock it to get traction. They eventually hooked up a tow trap and used the white JKU to pull it up. Third Jeep up was the camouflaged 2dr. Supposedly the front locker was not working so that confirmed it was a Rubicon model or the equivalent. Same thing he gets High centered and they use a tow strap. I don't recall what the other camouflaged 4dr did as we were conversing with one of the Jeep body guys as well as the Sheriff Lieutenant. I can tell you that the tore the shit out of the skid plates dragging them up the stuff we saw. Only other thing that stands out is the radiator fan on the camouflaged Jeeps was louder than my JKU. Loud enough to notice the difference but I also wonder if they have to do anything to compensate for the body camouflage panels they use.

I think my buddy took some video of our third encounter if so I'll post it up later this week.

Last edited:

jkjourneys

So I just got back from running the Rubicon and can confirm that Jeep did indeed have 3 camouflaged Jeeps on the Rubicon Trail, (1) 2dr and (2) 4dr. They also had a white and gecko green JKU in the group along with the El Dorado Co. Sheriff's JK. I was able to observe the group for a good majority of the day as we crossed paths a number of times.

Our first encounter was getting stuck behind their slow moving group. There was another group between them and us so at the time we didn't know what was taking the 3 JKUs in front of us so long. At one point we came to a complete stop and we ended up walking up the trail to see what was going on. Nothing much to report here as they stopped for lunch before Little Sluce and we passed them.

Our second encounter was actually at Little Sluce. We were getting ready to make our way up it when a Land Cruiser crested the top of the hill and stopped. One of the guys in their group torn a brake line on his TJ. After a small delay they decided to use the Land Cruiser to tow the TJ out. By this time the Jeep group had started up the bypass. Once the Land Cruiser and TJ were out of the way my buddy made it up Little Sluce while I followed. He crested the top and the Jeep group jumped in between us. They eventually let me pass and rejoin my buddy. Only thing to report here is the camouflaged Jeeps were dragging their undercarriages quite a bit on some of the rocks at the base of the bypass.

Our third and final encounter was by far the most intriguing. We had setup our camp just the other side of the dam at Buck Island. As we were setting up our tents the Jeep group was making their way up a section that was slightly challenging. There were 3 ways up the section and they choose what I would consider the middle option which is how we came up. The white JKU led the group the entire way and made it up without an issue. Second up was a camouflaged 4 door. He got high centered and they had the Jeep Jamboree USA guides trying to rock it to get traction. They eventually hooked up a tow trap and used the white JKU to pull it up. Third Jeep up was the camouflaged 2dr. Supposedly the front locker was not working so that confirmed it was a Rubicon model or the equivalent. Same thing he gets High centered and they use a tow strap. I don't recall what the other camouflaged 4dr did as we were conversing with one of the Jeep body guys as well as the Sheriff Lieutenant. I can tell you that the tore the shit out of the skid plates dragging them up the stuff we saw. Only other thing that stands out is the radiator fan on the camouflaged Jeeps was louder than my JKU. Loud enough to notice the difference but I also wonder if they have to do anything to compensate for the body camouflage panels they use.

I think my buddy took some video of our third encounter if so I'll post it up later this week.
Thanks for adding this info to my post. I only saw them on the last section of the trail where there were smaller rocks. I also did see the sheriff's jeep airing up just outside the trail but we'll ahead of the group.

Sent from my SM-N910V using WAYALIFE mobile app

aTX427

It looks like they may have been testing different anti squat settings from the rear lower CA axle mount.

longarmwj

I hope so, want the slimline roof racket for the JLU.

It won't take long I don't think for the aftermarket to catch up to the JL. There WILL be a demand. Take for example the new Ford F250 and F350s that came out about a year or so ago. How many lift kits were available within a week of it being released? It'll be the same for the JL. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if a few big name companies already have the details on them to start designing stuff.

brentkauser556

Why do you think they would cover with those tarps like that?
I would think they would want to generate as much hype ad they could to build anticipation of a release. That's just me though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
Why do you think they would cover with those tarps like that?
I would think they would want to generate as much hype ad they could to build anticipation of a release. That's just me though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Have you seen all the sites covering this next gen JL? I think it's a good tactic, especially seeing how different the internet is from the JK release and then the 2012 update. If it was out there people would have stopped talking about it long ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the "leaks" were on purpose.

JAGS

Hooked
Reminded me of the same thing. Next thing you'll here is "2018 Jeep Wrangler lost at a diner"..haha

I wasn't going to go there with "apple" analogy. But is pure genius really. Apples been doing it for so long, they've sort of moved on from it a bit.

Top Bottom