Best DIY jk mods??

Iamsamrogers

Nice looking table, but pressure treated lumber? I wouldn’t use it as a cutting board or put food directly on it. It’s well documented that you shouldn’t use chemical treated wood for cutting boards or counter tops. Just FYI...

I’m coating it with polyurethane to seal it off

2009 JK sunset orange, inner tub line-X'd, 35's, Cage type roof rack, bed lined inner hard top, 12k winch, Tepui RTT, and other overpriced pieces of jeep stuff

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Bump....

DIY Budget Boost: If you have a shitload of time, access to materials, engine lathe and knee mill then maybe you too can make your own lift kit.

Coil Spacers and Bump Extensions:

IMG_6838.JPG

IMG_6837.JPG

Shock Extensions:

IMG_6759.jpg

IMG_6760.jpg

Even cut your stock links in half and extend them:

IMG_6805.jpg

IMG_6811.jpg

Details can be found here:

Oscar's No Build Thread - DIY Budget Boost:

https://wayalife.com/showpost.php?p=1024241

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Bump....

DIY Budget Boost: If you have a shitload of time, access to materials, engine lathe and knee mill then maybe you too can make your own lift kit.

Coil Spacers and Bump Extensions:

View attachment 299051

View attachment 299052

Shock Extensions:

View attachment 299056

View attachment 299057

Even cut your stock links in half and extend them:

View attachment 299058

View attachment 299059

Details can be found here:

Oscar's No Build Thread - DIY Budget Boost:

https://wayalife.com/showpost.php?p=1024241

Very cool [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Delrin Door Hinge Liners:

If you have access to an engine lathe, then door liners should be at the top of your DIY list.

Start with some 3/4” Dia. Delrin Rod. Turn the OD to .522” +/-.001” x 1 7/16” back. Drill 11.5mm or 29/64” x 1 1/2” deep. Break all sharp corners with a file and cut-off using a parting tool to 1 1/2” overall length (1/16” flange thickness). Chamfer the bore on the cut-off end and install.

IMG_6846.jpg

IMG_6847.jpg

IMG_6843.jpg

This mod cost me zero dollars since I already had the material and took about 4hrs to do all 4 doors including the removal of the old liners:

IMG_6848.jpg

Zstairlessone

Delrin Door Hinge Liners:

If you have access to an engine lathe, then door liners should be at the top of your DIY list.

Start with some 3/4” Dia. Delrin Rod. Turn the OD to .522” +/-.001” x 1 7/16” back. Drill 11.5mm or 29/64” x 1 1/2” deep. Break all sharp corners with a file and cut-off using a parting tool to 1 1/2” overall length (1/16” flange thickness). Chamfer the bore on the cut-off end and install.

View attachment 299326

View attachment 299327

View attachment 299328

This mod cost me zero dollars since I already had the material and took about 4hrs to do all 4 doors including the removal of the old liners:

View attachment 299329

Nice, definitely a to-do (gonna have to buy them though)

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Bumping one of my favorite threads...

Backup Camera - Adding one no longer requires a trip to the dealership to activate the backup camera function within the ECU. This can be done on the cheap with the new OBD JScan app for iOS or Android, a WiFi or Bluetooth OBDII Adapter and a smart phone. Hardware consists of the camera of your choice, harness for the 430 series head unit, RCA Coupler, assorted electrical connectors, tape and wire ties. This can easily be done for less then $100 and takes about 4hrs if you’re handy:

IMG_8465.jpg

IMG_8464.jpg

IMG_8463.jpg

More detail can be found here:

https://wayalife.com/showpost.php?p=1121162

Last edited:

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug

Backup Camera - Adding one no longer requires a trip to the dealership to activate the backup camera function within the ECU. This can be done on the cheap with the new OBD JScan app for iOS or Android, a WiFi or Bluetooth OBDII Adapter and a cell phone. Hardware consists of the camera of your choice, harness for the 430 series head unit, RCA Coupler, assorted electrical connectors, tape and wire ties. This can easily be done for less then $100 and takes about 4hrs if you’re handy:

View attachment 322969

View attachment 322970

View attachment 322971

Will it work with the 730N?

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Will it work with the 730N?

I believe so. The JScan app “activates” the ECU for the backup camera option, no matter the head unit. If I remember right the 730N is the same as the 430N with the exception of traffic updates. The back of the head unit should be the same and it should have an empty receptacle for the wire harness. I would double check it or do a little more research just to make sure that you order the right harness.

wjtstudios

Hooked

Backup Camera - Adding one no longer requires a trip to the dealership to activate the backup camera function within the ECU. This can be done on the cheap with the new OBD JScan app for iOS or Android, a WiFi or Bluetooth OBDII Adapter and a cell phone. Hardware consists of the camera of your choice, harness for the 430 series head unit, RCA Coupler, assorted electrical connectors, tape and wire ties. This can easily be done for less then $100 and takes about 4hrs if you’re handy:

Nicely done! Very clean install

TRLJNKY

Wow missed this thread when I built my rear tire carrier and bumper a year or two ago. It was cool seeing what members have pulled off through the years. Some great projects. Seeings how its still making rounds, this was a fun build for me. 20190315_074248.jpeg 20190315_074412.jpeg 20190315_074435.jpg 20190315_074459.jpeg 20190315_074602.jpeg 20190315_074637.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
Wow missed this thread when I built my rear tire carrier and bumper a year or two ago. It was cool seeing what members have pulled off through the years. Some great projects. Seeings how its still making rounds, this was a fun build for me. View attachment 323000 View attachment 323001 View attachment 323002 View attachment 323003 View attachment 323004 View attachment 323005

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nice. What that a kit or did you fab it all from scratch?

Mayberry

Let's see homemade or DIY mods...

Title says it all. I want to see what modifications/creations/fabrications ya'll have come up with on your own. I'm looking for ideas I can "borrow".

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Thread bump....

We’ve all seen the JK Front Bumper Chop, but I haven’t seen many using Rough Country Metal End Caps like I did here:

Adjustments.jpg

I think it’s a little nicer looking than the plastic caps and a ton better than nothing at all.

Installation was typical. Measure, tape and cut with a Sawsall. Touch up the metal ends with paint, mount cap, drill holes and push in the included fasteners:

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

I was concerned that the caps might wobble around especially since they are heavier metal and fastened with plastic push pins. To my surprise they are pretty sturdy although I will submit that they are purely cosmetic. Normally, I wouldn’t spend $100 on something like this, but I love the look of the integrated winch and think that this modification enhances the look.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Thread bump....

We’ve all seen the JK Front Bumper Chop, but I haven’t seen many using Rough Country Metal End Caps like I did here:

View attachment 341374

I think it’s a little nicer looking than the plastic caps and a ton better than nothing at all.

Installation was typical. Measure, tape and cut with a Sawsall. Touch up the metal ends with paint, mount cap, drill holes and push in the included fasteners:

View attachment 341375

View attachment 341376

View attachment 341378

View attachment 341379

I was concerned that the caps might wobble around especially since they are heavier metal and fastened with plastic push pins. To my surprise they are pretty sturdy although I will submit that they are purely cosmetic. Normally, I wouldn’t spend $100 on something like this, but I love the look of the integrated winch and think that this modification enhances the look.

That really turned out nice. [emoji106]

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Top Bottom