Opinions on AEV tire carrier

GraniteCrystal

Been looking for a tire carrier once I go to 37s. Looking at Evo hinge mounted, CC hinge mounted, or the AEV frame mounted.

I like that the AEV also can carry a shovel, a fuel tank, and has mounts for lights, CB antennae and hi-lift/pull-pal. But, it's got to work well as a tire carrier first and foremost.

Anyone have first hand experience with it and have some feedback?

Screenshot_20161230-223348.png

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

Last edited:

Colorado2003

Been looking for a tire carrier once I go to 37s. Looking at Evo hinge mounted, CC hinge mounted, or the AEV frame mounted.

I like that the AEV also can carry a shovel, a fuel tank, and has mounts for lights, CB antennae and hi-lift/pull-pal. But, it's got to work well as a tire carrier first and foremost.

View attachment 236583

I have had the CC hinge mounted tire carrier for almost a year. It's holding a 40" toyo on a Spyderlock so around 145# with no problem. I have run the Rubicon and a bunch of Colorado trails and it continues to impress me!

IMG_0649.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have one. It works.

It rattles and squeaks which requires torquing things down periodically. Other than that no real big complaints. Some people don't like the offset look. It doesn't bother me. It's less noticeable the bigger the tire.

I still need to get around to mounting an EVO facia and D ring mounts to finish it off.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
There us a place in town asking $1400 for one. Off of a salvaged jeep. They said has bumper, carrier and fuel caddy on it. Need place let me know.

captaintexas

I love mine. The only thing is that your rear view mirror becomes kinda of an accessory since the tire is moved higher up and it also depends on the size of the tire and if you have the fuel caddy.

I have had no problems with mine, I seriously recommend. I was originally going to get the terra flex HD carrier and decided against it. Im happy I got the AEV tire carrier instead.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

The AEV tire carrier is what I would run. The EVO hinged mount is still just mounted to the tailgate.

GraniteCrystal

The AEV tire carrier is what I would run. The EVO hinged mount is still just mounted to the tailgate.
That's my thinking as well. If I want to use it to haul gear (shovel, gas/water, maybe even a little cargo rack, etc) then frame mounted has got to be a better choice right? Thanks Eddie

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's my thinking as well. If I want to use it to haul gear (shovel, gas/water, maybe even a little cargo rack, etc) then frame mounted has got to be a better choice right? Thanks Eddie

Getting all that onto the frame is definitely what I'd prefer to do.

AEV tire carrier and EVO fascia. I love it. It's a tad stiff when opening the tailgate currently, I need to add some grease to the spindle again.

View attachment 236605

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Now THAT is a clean setup right there!! Nice job :thumb:

Basscat

View attachment 236583

I currently run the AEV bumper/tire carrier. Includes cab antenna and rigid trail light on the mast as well as fuel caddy and shovel on the carrier. No issues. Very clean look. Very solid. Running 37s currently.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Does anyone know how difficult it would be to change the lug pattern on the carrier if you already own it?

Top Bottom