Opinions on AEV tire carrier

WJCO

Meme King
Does anyone know how difficult it would be to change the lug pattern on the carrier if you already own it?

What do you mean? It's not set up for 5x5? A lot of companies make adapters if that's what you mean. They're just like a wheel spacer but change the lug pattern on the output.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
What do you mean? It's not set up for 5x5? A lot of companies make adapters if that's what you mean. They're just like a wheel spacer but change the lug pattern on the output.

I was thinking if you changed out your axles later on down the line and want your tire carrier to match without having to use an adapter.

I like the idea of keeping the tire close to the body if for no other reason than I think it looks better

Basscat

Does anyone know how difficult it would be to change the lug pattern on the carrier if you already own it?

The disc plate is drilled for both 5x5 and 5x5 1/2 but it's ever so slightly too small to drill for 8x6 1/2. That said there's room to put a slightly larger diameter disc plate in the recess drilled to 8x6 1/2.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

A) Nice waders. What kind?
B) I didn't know you could do that! With the Evo setup that's gonna be sweet!

Sent from my duck blind.

Thanks. They are Hodgman H3 or what I like to call Leakmans. lol they are definitely entry level waders I would not recommend.

The AEV carrier with EVO facia is a great looking setup.

jeeeep

Hooked
I have it mounted to my stock bumper, it's worked loose a few times and the bottom bolt on the spindle fell out on once - a dab of blue Loctite and it's been solid since.

I run the gas tank, with a 37 and the rear view mirror is basically a decoration - will be adding rear view camera.

if you decide on the tank, use anti-seize on the tank mounting bolts. that tip was not in the instructions and when I tried to remove the tank I stripped out a couple of the nutserts from the tank (aev told me I should've used anti-seize :doh:). not sure how i'll fix it yet but also looking for a way to mount roto-paks instead of the AEV tank

the tank is nice that it's tucked up and out of the way but siphoning then storing the hose is a PIA, right now I bungee the hose in the bag it came in to the backside of the carrier (between the Jeep body and AEV tank). When siphoning the gas out, I can't seem to get it all out and that concerns me with allowing the fuel to go bad.

I need to get some pics of the carrier but it's similar to all the others only with the stock bumper.

all 'n all I like it but not 100% sure I'd buy it again.

Heavyhaul07

I have it mounted to my stock bumper, it's worked loose a few times and the bottom bolt on the spindle fell out on once - a dab of blue Loctite and it's been solid since.

I run the gas tank, with a 37 and the rear view mirror is basically a decoration - will be adding rear view camera.

if you decide on the tank, use anti-seize on the tank mounting bolts. that tip was not in the instructions and when I tried to remove the tank I stripped out a couple of the nutserts from the tank (aev told me I should've used anti-seize :doh:). not sure how i'll fix it yet but also looking for a way to mount roto-paks instead of the AEV tank

the tank is nice that it's tucked up and out of the way but siphoning then storing the hose is a PIA, right now I bungee the hose in the bag it came in to the backside of the carrier (between the Jeep body and AEV tank). When siphoning the gas out, I can't seem to get it all out and that concerns me with allowing the fuel to go bad.

I need to get some pics of the carrier but it's similar to all the others only with the stock bumper.

As for the fuel going bad what little that remains in the tank when you refill it I wouldn't worry. I wouldn't let it set in there for more than 2 months before I cycled it out and then refilled the tank. Jmo

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Basscat

Try sliding a large heavy nut over the discharge end of the hose down to the bottom end then mark a line on the hose once you've got the end all the way down. Allows for much more accurate and complete siphoning.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I bought mine because it was one of the cheapest and easiest points of entry for tire carriers but like it way more than the traditional carrier I had on my last JK. Would buy again, but like others I dont use any of the options. Have thought about the high lift mount.

jeeeep

Hooked
As for the fuel going bad what little that remains in the tank when you refill it I wouldn't worry. I wouldn't let it set in there for more than 2 months before I cycled it out and then refilled the tank. Jmo

this is why I'm looking for a way to use rotopax instead. I want to avoid having to fill the AEV for the sole purpose of cycling fuel through it. I'd rather have something like a rotopax and know it's empty after I use it.

Also would be nice to be able to remove it when not needed.

Heavyhaul07

this is why I'm looking for a way to use rotopax instead. I want to avoid having to fill the AEV for the sole purpose of cycling fuel through it. I'd rather have something like a rotopax and know it's empty after I use it.

Also would be nice to be able to remove it when not needed.

If it were me. The only time I would use it is when I was going on a trip or what not. When I was done with said trip I'd empty into my fuel tank and leave the little bit that I couldn't siphon out in tank. Or I'd park at an angle in a way to siphon all out.

That's what I use to do when I had my Gavin tire carrier on my tj that I had 2 five gallon cans on it.

jeeeep

Hooked
Try sliding a large heavy nut over the discharge end of the hose down to the bottom end then mark a line on the hose once you've got the end all the way down. Allows for much more accurate and complete siphoning.

I have the super siphon and bought a hand pump but it still doesn't drain it 100%. as mentioned in previous post, I don't want to have to cycle fuel in the AEV tank when I'm not using it and would like to have something easily removed when not needed.

it's a good idea but for my owns use it doesn't work.

JK07

Been happy with mine. Running 35s currently and will be going to 37's next. No noises and it has been solid. I would like to add the fuel caddy but it's not really a necessity for me. Just nice to have. I will admit, I do want the EVO carrier though. You know, for when I *eventually* go LS3, PR60's and 40's. lol. Yeah. IMG_4058.jpg

Basscat

If it were me. The only time I would use it is when I was going on a trip or what not. When I was done with said trip I'd empty into my fuel tank and leave the little bit that I couldn't siphon out in tank. Or I'd park at an angle in a way to siphon all out.

That's what I use to do when I had my Gavin tire carrier on my tj that I had 2 five gallon cans on it.

Exactly what he said!

Mobbzy

Love my aev rear bar and tyre carrier, only have 35s but I also stand on the tyre getting up on the roof. Has rattled twice but takes 30secs to tighten the spacer bar and it's all good. If I could do it over I'd choose the same :) 20161109_125722.jpg

2014 Rubicon X

Brute

Hooked
IMG_0776.jpg

I have one on the Anvil with the fuel caddy, rear camera & hi lift jack...even with 12 gals of fuel, opens fine...very easy to transfer fuel into tank with a shaker siphon

USMMA11NC

Caught the Bug
That looks really good.

Getting all that onto the frame is definitely what I'd prefer to do.

Now THAT is a clean setup right there!! Nice job :thumb:

Damn that looks fantastic

That's the setup I'm going for. Looks good!

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

How'd you do that? Looks awesome. Damn.

Edit..I didn't know it can mount to the frame

Thanks everyone! There was a thread posted a few months back about the AEV carrier & Evo fascia combo, so there are a few folks on here running the combo. I wanted to add the flush mount floods and a backup camera because once I go to 37s there won't be much visibility back there. For anyone wanting to do this project I highly recommend scheduling a day for this, I rushed a tad and really should have taken more time. The mounting holes between the d ring mounts and the tire carrier mount don't quite match up so you'll need to enlongate one of the holes on the tire carrier mount.

Top Bottom