I couldn't stay jeepless

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
With the cost of the Jeep, engine, parts, and motech kit I will end up under $22k. Motech is pretty spot on with their kit pricing. As long as you get a 2010+ LS you don't really have much extras to buy. My L92 is out of an 07 so I had some sensors that needed to be updated. Otherwise just littles things like heater hose and factory style zip ties but other than that they give you just about everything. I would budget about $8k (without the engine and trans) if you were going to do it yourself. $6k for the Motech kit, $700 for exhaust, $1300 for driveshafts.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks for sharing. That figure is not bad at all. Of course, it's dependent on doing all the work yourself and I'm not sure I have the skills to do it lol.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bierpower

Hooked
Thanks for sharing. That figure is not bad at all. Of course, it's dependent on doing all the work yourself and I'm not sure I have the skills to do it lol.

I really don't think the skill level is too crazy. It's more having the tools to do it all. It also took me like three years to find the engine and the Jeep for cheap enough.

Bierpower

Hooked
Made a little progress over the weekend. Started with adjusting the shift cables and getting the bracket all tightened down.
IMG_20181008_192250.jpg
Finally pulled the intake and ran the hoses to the heater core.
IMG_20181008_192349.jpg
Also redid the starter/alternator harness so it would reach both locations, then hooked up the starter. It's a little tight to that manifold but the wires are heat shielded so I going to let it be.
IMG_20181008_192454.jpg
And tonight my GM cooling fan finally came in.
IMG_20181008_170210.jpg

This week I have my trans cooler and fittings coming in so I'm going to try and get all that done this weekend. I'm hoping my Motech stuff will come in this week and I can get most of this tied up.

kyle521

Yup. They have a ton of adjustment but the engine is tight enough that I pretty much set it where it fit and squared up the transmission.

Thats awesome, I didnt know they were selling them in the DIY kit yet. What would you say is the hardest part of the install? I have been contemplating doing this to my jeep when I have time in the coming years

Bierpower

Hooked
Thats awesome, I didnt know they were selling them in the DIY kit yet. What would you say is the hardest part of the install? I have been contemplating doing this to my jeep when I have time in the coming years
From a technical standpoint there really isn't much to worry about. The worst of it is running wires. Aside from that Motech has pretty much made it all plug and play. At this point I've run a bunch of wires and made a few soldier joints. Like I said before, the big thing would be having an engine hoist and tools to get the job done. All that being said, I'm not actually done yet so things could change but I don't see that happening.

Last edited:

Bierpower

Hooked
Finally got a chance tonight to bolt in the radiator.
IMG_20181022_201309.jpg
It's a pretty tight fit so I ended up unbolting the front clip to get the fan past the water pump. I tried setting the radiator in first then dropping in the fan but that wasn't even close.

I find I'm getting to the point now where the brackets are not so obvious and I have to do a lot of searching to try and figure out where things go.

Just a couple of the random brackets I have not yet figured out.
IMG_20181006_212403.jpg
IMG_20181006_212335.jpg
Any insight on these would be great.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Finally got a chance tonight to bolt in the radiator.
View attachment 313160
It's a pretty tight fit so I ended up unbolting the front clip to get the fan past the water pump. I tried setting the radiator in first then dropping in the fan but that wasn't even close.

I find I'm getting to the point now where the brackets are not so obvious and I have to do a lot of searching to try and figure out where things go.

Just a couple of the random brackets I have not yet figured out.
View attachment 313165
View attachment 313166
Any insight on these would be great.

Man, that is a seriously tight fit. I didn't realize the LS was so big but I guess it makes sense being a V8. Nice to see it getting so close to the finish line.

Bierpower

Hooked
Had life hit hard and took a couple weeks away from the jeep. This weekend I finally got out and got some things done.

Got the trans cooler all plumbed in and secured.
IMG_20181103_131327_01.jpg

Vacuumed down the cooling system and it held for 10 minutes so I filled it up.
IMG_20181103_160508.jpg

That's all the pictures I took but I also got the fan wired in, got the MoCan module all hooked up, put serpentine belts on, filled it with oil and tomorrow the computers should be here. I do have a couple splices to make for the PCM but I want to get everything in place and see what kind of space I'm dealing with before cutting wires. More updates to come this week.

Last edited:
Top Bottom