Jeep, Stars, Night Scenes

Wethy

Awesome! Didn't even know the GoPro could do long exposures like that. I just got a 50mm f/1.8 that I'm anxious to try out. I have to find some darker skies first though...
The newer ones can. This is a stack of about 250-300 shots at like iso 200 and somewhere in the 3-5K white balance. Since its such a wide angle lens it works well especially since it has can go as low as F2.8. But it does have irs drawbacks. You cant really crank up the iso past 800. As least not on my hero 5 black.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
The newer ones can. This is a stack of about 250-300 shots at like iso 200 and somewhere in the 3-5K white balance. Since its such a wide angle lens it works well especially since it has can go as low as F2.8. But it does have irs drawbacks. You cant really crank up the iso past 800. As least not on my hero 5 black.

That's pretty cool. I need to try image stacking. I've seen some pretty cool stacked shots, but I've never bothered trying to learn on any of mine. Not sure why LOL :idontknow:

Last edited:

Abntroop

Gorgeous pics. Had to google image stacking. Learn something new every day! [emoji482]

Typed on my iPhone with my jimmy dean sausage fingers.

Wethy

That's pretty cool. I need to try image stacking. I've seen some pretty cool stacked shots, but I've never bothered trying to learn on any of mine. Not sure why LOL :idontknow:
Gorgeous pics. Had to google image stacking. Learn something new every day! [emoji482]

Typed on my iPhone with my jimmy dean sausage fingers.
Im by no means an expert. I do know theres multiple ways to do it. Like taking a photo of your foreground image then another of the background and stacking them that way so everything is completely in focus.

Then theres stacking and blending. I use a program called Starstax its free. And you just drag and drop all the photos and it stacks and blends them for you. Pretty simple to use. But in order to get long star trails youll have to take a lot of photos. The nice thing about the go pro is that it has interval shooting. So i can set it up with a full battery and just let it go till the battery dies if i want. One thing is if your going to have an object (like a jeep) out front, a program like starstax averages the photo so i used a flashlight on the jeep spread throughout the exposures to make it so the jeep was quite visibleinstead of being quite dark. I also like to shoot around 20 seconds.

Theres a "rule" for keeping stars "sharp". I use it for quick reference but basically its 500÷focal length and that should give you an estimate of max shutter time. Lol.

Eg. 500÷24mm
=20.8 seconds.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Im by no means an expert. I do know theres multiple ways to do it. Like taking a photo of your foreground image then another of the background and stacking them that way so everything is completely in focus.

Then theres stacking and blending. I use a program called Starstax its free. And you just drag and drop all the photos and it stacks and blends them for you. Pretty simple to use. But in order to get long star trails youll have to take a lot of photos. The nice thing about the go pro is that it has interval shooting. So i can set it up with a full battery and just let it go till the battery dies if i want. One thing is if your going to have an object (like a jeep) out front, a program like starstax averages the photo so i used a flashlight on the jeep spread throughout the exposures to make it so the jeep was quite visibleinstead of being quite dark. I also like to shoot around 20 seconds.

Theres a "rule" for keeping stars "sharp". I use it for quick reference but basically its 500÷focal length and that should give you an estimate of max shutter time. Lol.

Eg. 500÷24mm
=20.8 seconds.

Good info man. I've always just done everything manually in GIMP.

I've done some long exposure stuff too, just not much with the Jeep in it. Here's one I took of the north star from the top of Mount Mitchell in NC with about a 6 minute exposure just to see what would happen:
MtMitchellNorthStar.jpg

Wethy

Good info man. I've always just done everything manually in GIMP.

I've done some long exposure stuff too, just not much with the Jeep in it. Here's one I took of the north star from the top of Mount Mitchell in NC with about a 6 minute exposure just to see what would happen:
View attachment 329145
Ive never used GIMP. If i use any software i usually use lightroom or the lightroom app on a phone if i need to do it quickly. But usually i just take a bunch of photos and pick the nicest ones. Usually the milky way shots require some colour correction if i forget to check the white balance. Lol

Top Bottom