Lets see your work shop or garage

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’m all ears. I did cut a small hole just to get a look at the space and the structure above. Do I need batting with a barrier? I figured I could also look into blown in insulation as well.

I'm not a contractor but I know for sure that the upper insulation has to have a way for air above it to exit so it won't allow moisture to condensate on the wood. Is there an attic above the garage? Are you doing this yourself or paying someone?

WJCO is correct. You’ll need what is called an air baffle. You can pick them up at Home Depot. The go up from the lower eve up on the bottom of the plywood roof deck past the height of insulation to let air move up from the soffit vents up and around the insulation. Otherwise moisture will get trapped in the attic.

https://images.homedepot-static.com...t-insulation-accessories-xudv2248-64_1000.jpg

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

They are not uncommon at all in the town I live in, but when I was shopping during the divorce this home was actually marketed (not necessarily as a positive) as there was no HOA. About 9-10 months after living here, I received a letter for some updated guidelines to the deed restrictions...but I never received a copy of them. Oh well, it’s not as if I’m not used to dealing with them. My last community had one.

If you didn’t sign on for one you are not in one, and they can shove it. Check your local laws.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
I'm not a contractor but I know for sure that the upper insulation has to have a way for air above it to exit so it won't allow moisture to condensate on the wood. Is there an attic above the garage? Are you doing this yourself or paying someone?

Ok yeah, I’ve seen those baffles at the soffit in the main attic space above the second story. There was no existing access to the space above the garage, I had to cut a hole in the ceiling. I do know that the space above the garage connects to the the other attic space though since the roof above garage goes all the way to the eve above the master bedroom. At the far interior end of the garage is the wall to the master closet but that wall doesn’t extend all the way to the roof but there wouldn’t be enough room above that wall to get from the garage space to the main attic although they share some common air...:thinking:

jeeeep

Hooked
nice garage! the lift is on my list of wants :thumb:

This gave me a good idea list as i'm looking for the next place.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
The kid and I are working on the heater. Gotta take a break but hopefully will be wrapped up tonight.

704E204E-FCAD-4652-8757-F19E00017718.jpg

CB607E80-F674-4855-9372-F4226B466780.jpg

IMG_20191130_150803_129.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Curious how that heater works out. I'll probably be adding one soon but not sure what I'll go with yet.

Variations of this heater installation are all over YouTube. I really wasn’t interested in a natural gas or propane heater. 5000 or 7500w versions are $150-200 or so. I ordered the 5000w. I’ll report back on its performance for sure.

Thanks for fixing the pic

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Well it works. I’m not going to run it overnight so I can’t talk about it’s performance until tomorrow. Glad to be done that part of the project.

964FA753-4D55-4A04-BF8B-C3AA5F45A4E0.jpg

2F6D8AEE-8133-46D3-8BA3-D7F02774384D.jpg

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Turned out really cool. Jealous of your garage. [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Turned out great! Having the heat out there everything a lot easier.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler
Thank you! I’m very happy how it’s coming together. The only thing left that I may look into is re-engineering the section of ceiling above the lift so that I can use the entirety of its height without worrying about hitting anything. As it is now, I can safely get the center tires on my Jeep to about shoulder level without coming close to touching the ceiling. I can work with that if I have to, but if I can buy myself another 18-24” that would be even better. If this last leg of the project is too complex to take on, then I’ll just deal with the insulation and call it a day.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Thank you! I’m very happy how it’s coming together. The only thing left that I may look into is re-engineering the section of ceiling above the lift so that I can use the entirety of its height without worrying about hitting anything. As it is now, I can safely get the center tires on my Jeep to about shoulder level without coming close to touching the ceiling. I can work with that if I have to, but if I can buy myself another 18-24” that would be even better. If this last leg of the project is too complex to take on, then I’ll just deal with the insulation and call it a day.

Post up a picture of what the trusses or framing looks like above in the attic. I might be able to steer you in a simple direction depending on how they framed it.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Post up a picture of what the trusses or framing looks like above in the attic. I might be able to steer you in a simple direction depending on how they framed it.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Ok, will do. It may take a few days to find an opportunity...

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Ok, will do. It may take a few days to find an opportunity...

I’ll be curious to hear your thoughts....I have some ideas but I also may be overthinking it. Of course when safety is involved, that’s not a bad thing. But if there’s a simpler solution than what I imagine I’d do, I’m all for it. I’m most curious about the weight the trusses bear and if the trusses bear more weight from the drywall below or the roof overhead. I did notice the ceiling “joists” as a part of the trusses are all 2x4s. And we’re talking about a section about 8’ wide by 10-12’ long.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’ll be curious to hear your thoughts....I have some ideas but I also may be overthinking it. Of course when safety is involved, that’s not a bad thing. But if there’s a simpler solution than what I imagine I’d do, I’m all for it. I’m most curious about the weight the trusses bear and if the trusses bear more weight from the drywall below or the roof overhead. I did notice the ceiling “joists” as a part of the trusses are all 2x4s. And we’re talking about a section about 8’ wide by 10-12’ long.

Most of you load is actually the roof load, or snow load on top your roof. Typically, when we modify roof trusses, my engineer has me plywood one side of the truss(s) that is going to be cut. Usually 1/2 ply screwed at 6” centers.

If your going to do it, once you cut the hole where you plan open up the ceiling, you bring the plywood up through the hole, screw it to the trusses, then cut the bottom web out.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Top Bottom