2011 Wrangler Unlimited P0868

UTJeeper

Hi Fellow Jeepers,

I have a 2011 Wrangler Unlimited, 4' lift, 35's etc. I purchased this used a little while ago from a Jeep dealer and they sold it "as-is" due to the previous owner having put a turbo on it. Needless to say, after 10 days of owning the vehicle the engine blew and I took it back to the dealer which they worked with me and they dropped a new 3.8L V6 (was hoping for the new Pentastar but wasn't that lucky. After they installed the new engine, I told them to leave the turbo off so I make sure I don't run into the same issue. After getting my Jeep back, 2 weeks later by check engine light comes on and I run the code, P0868. I took it to a transmission place (even though the fluid was pink) and they flushed the trans, that didn't fix it, so they replaced the pressure switch and filters. Needless to say, after about 100 miles, my check engine light came back on and it's the same code. It shifts a little harder then normal sometimes, specifically when downshifting. Have any of you ran into this before? Any clues on how to fix it or if I should even worry about it?

Thank you for your help!

Cheers,

UTJeeper

WJCO

Meme King
Welcome to WAL. To start with, I don't see that having anything to do with the motor or old turbo. But as far as a code like that, it's up to you if you want to deal with it or live with it. It could be a number of things. But transmission problems don't usually fix themselves. The other tricky part is finding a good shop that can accurately diagnose it. From my experience, seems like a lot of transmission shops now days just want to put another unit in and be done with it.

UTJeeper

Welcome to WAL. To start with, I don't see that having anything to do with the motor or old turbo. But as far as a code like that, it's up to you if you want to deal with it or live with it. It could be a number of things. But transmission problems don't usually fix themselves. The other tricky part is finding a good shop that can accurately diagnose it. From my experience, seems like a lot of transmission shops now days just want to put another unit in and be done with it.

Thanks for the quick reply. That's what's funny, the shop literally told me "let's do a quick maintenance at $140 and put new fluids in and that should fix it." Then after it didn't they said "Let's replace the pressure switch and filters as I am sure that's the issue...$300 later" After my light came back on, I called them and they said "I am not surprised with the Turbo that was on there that it messed up your transmission and you will need a new one for $2700." Is there anything I should be concerned about with just living with it? Like Limp Mode or anything? Or will it eventually just burn up and I will have to replace it?

Do you think it could just be a programming thing with the computer?

WJCO

Meme King
That's what's funny, the shop literally told me "let's do a quick maintenance at $140 and put new fluids in and that should fix it." Then after it didn't they said "Let's replace the pressure switch and filters as I am sure that's the issue...$300 later" After my light came back on, I called them and they said "I am not surprised with the Turbo that was on there that it messed up your transmission and you will need a new one for $2700."

While doing the fluid and filters first isn't a bad idea, it sure sounds like they're now throwing parts at it and not diagnosing it.

Is there anything I should be concerned about with just living with it? Like Limp Mode or anything? Or will it eventually just burn up and I will have to replace it?

Again, it's up to you. If symptoms get worse, I would try to get it into a trans shop. You may want to look on Yelp or use other resources to find a decent transmission shop in your area that may be able to diagnose it. And ultimately, it really could be an expensive trans problem, I just don't trust a lot of shops anymore because so many want to just put a transmission in it.

There's also the labor/parts cost to rebuild one that is realistic though. If you can get a reman unit with a better warranty for 2700 bucks opposed to having them rebuild it for 2000 with a lesser warranty, then obviously it's not a bad idea to just replace the thing.

Do you think it could just be a programming thing with the computer?

It is possible. If it is a programming issue, I would take it to a reputable dealer, but call ahead of time and tell them the history and get a feel for if they will even attempt to help you with the issue. It would be pretty sweet if a TCM update or something could fix your issue.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I'd ask for your money back it they did not fix issue that they said would fix it. I had a couple of places give me the run around
with mine. Got money back from one and waiting on the other. Also, is that the only code it ran?

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

UTJeeper

I'd ask for your money back it they did not fix issue that they said would fix it. I had a couple of places give me the run around
with mine. Got money back from one and waiting on the other. Also, is that the only code it ran?

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thank you for the responses! Yes this is the only code it's throwing. But now the light went off and I used my scanner to see the code is still in there but the lights not on. My thoughts are just to run it until I have serious issues and have to replace it. Anyone see any issues with that? And I'm going to call and ask them to kindly refund my money since they didn't "fix" anything gen though they said they diagnosed it and the switch replacement was supposed to "fix" it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TomDabb

Hey UTJeeper,
I recently picked up a 2011 JKU mainly because of the heater core etc repeating problem with my 2013 and Penastar engine. To your point, the 2011 has exactly the same issue and has been expensively frustrating me. He we go again - Jeep problem no one seems to be able to fix.
Occasionally my engine light (P0868) light goes out. When it does come on I definitely noticed it’s happens only in 1st or 2nd gear (in an automatic) while accenting a very small incline in the road. Yes it doesn’t seem to shift smoothly after this happens -
I know it’s been a while since you posted so, if you are able to react to this I would be most appreciated as I’m sure others will too.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I don't know that I have a whole lot of useful info, but I'll give my 2 cents worth.

Having a turbo on that drivetrain can definitely put a lot of extra strain on the trans. Evidence of that could be in the motor failing just after purchase. Chances are, it was rode hard and put away wet.

That said, I'd run the trans until it blows, throw in a reman and go on your merry way.

I don't believe it would be a programming issue, assuming stock motor and stock trans with stock ECM.

UTJeeper

Hey guys, so I still have the Jeep and was FINALLY able to figure it out. Apparently the previous owner had put on some small bypass module under the factory splash guard and used factory tape so I never thought to check there. Once I pulled that off and found the little piece, I removed it and budabing budaboom the light cleared and haven't had an issue for a number of months. Now, can that be said for all Jeeps with this problem, no unfortunately. I did do the trans flush, ultimately ended up putting in a new trans anyway but that didnt solve the problem either so...wish I had better info. Happy to help with other questions you may have though? I will track down the little module and post a pic of it later.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom