Steering wheel wobble sometimes full on death wobble 19 JLUR

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
It's much more prominent when you watch it in person, and to be completely honest I couldn't tell if it was an illusion or really moving / flexing. Hoping somebody else can take a look and let me know what they think.

WJCO

Meme King
Wow. That's fucking nuts. May have to build a brace for it and see if that corrects the issue. Who knows, that flex may be completely normal.

bkac

Caught the Bug
It's much more prominent when you watch it in person, and to be completely honest I couldn't tell if it was an illusion or really moving / flexing. Hoping somebody else can take a look and let me know what they think.

That moves quite a bit. If it moves like that from the beginning then it shouldn’t be the cause, right? Did the JT move like that?

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
That moves quite a bit. If it moves like that from the beginning then it shouldn’t be the cause, right? Did the JT move like that?

That's the thing... The new JTR and the new JLUR on the dealer lot did the same thing. It's difficult to tell if it is the frame flexing, or if it is the steering box moving on itself.

bkac

Caught the Bug
Someone should check the JK for similar flex...

Yeah good point. Man the frame is so much thinner on a JL. I wish it was an option where you could opt out of all the weight savings parts and sign a waiver did you didn’t care about MPG’s

fiend

Caught the Bug
Maybe I’m not viewing the video correctly, but it looks like if there’s flex at the steering gear, it’s not at the sector shaft, which is where I’d expect to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Maybe I’m not viewing the video correctly, but it looks like if there’s flex at the steering gear, it’s not at the sector shaft, which is where I’d expect to see it.

The power steering box. Either the green is twisting / flexing over the blue, or the whole thing is flexing on the frame... Or it's a figment of my imagination. :crazyeyes:

20191030_182629-768x1024.jpg

JKbrick

That was my original thought but Mel was having DW on the JL/JT Experience and he's running UD60's with cast knuckles.

Ball joints are definitely suspect for me especially being that Dynatrac recycled the ones from our factory front axle and had a HELL of a time getting them installed. We have about 45,000 miles on them now so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they're bad. I'm currently waiting for Synergy to release the ones they are making.

I was looking at my sons JT axle with the aluminum knuckles and noticed the ball joints look different than the jk. What is different about them?

TrailHunter

Hooked

I can only see flex here when I watch the dirt spot and the edge of the housing. If you pause the video and play it slowly by scrolling you can see it.

IMG_1885.JPG

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
To help those who have not looked directly up at the steering box...

The white arrow points almost directly at the dirt spot.

20191030_155336-768x1024.jpg

And of course the red line depicts the edge of the frame.

20191030_184009.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
Yeah, the input shaft portion of the box sure looks like it's flexing quite a bit. Is that enough to create the oscillations? That much movement will do it if the track bar or tie rod was that loose.

jdofmemi

While searching for unusual movement, loose/worn components and over the summer, I noticed that the aluminum steering box appears to either flex on itself and/or on the frame. I checked the steering box bolts and they were properly torqued.

While checking out a friend's JT at the local dealership, I climbed under a brand new stock JTR (not my friend's) and a stock JLUR while a salesman turned to the wheels side to side. I saw the exact same flexing, so I figured it was just normal. However, in light of this thread I thought that I'd brave the 7° weather and go shoot some video.

In both videos the tires are on the ground (hence the squeaking in the first video) therefore there is some movement of the frame. However, I would assume that the steering box should move in concert with the frame.

Steering box. The arrow indicates the portion that was filmed from below.
View attachment 337209

This is the view from underneath, with an arrow to indicate the same part of the steering box that you will see in the videos.
View attachment 337210

EDIT: the videos came out weird in this post, so here are two links direct to the videos.

https://youtu.be/I4Fis5Mk1jg

https://youtu.be/4F16xoGckEw

It is hard to tell, but at about 10 seconds in the first video, it looks like the pitman arm moves a bit on the shaft. It may be an illusion, since it was panned over pretty fast.

bkac

Caught the Bug
Well I have the latest AE Mopar recalled stabilizer and I removed it tonight and installed a new junky RC stabilizer and I’m pleased to say the DW is gone. Now to figure out the real problem. I ordered a synergy brace and will install the new pump and report back. The RC stabilizer is way tighter then the factory one. Just another mask to the real issue.

WJCO

Meme King
Well I have the latest AE Mopar recalled stabilizer and I removed it tonight and installed a new junky RC stabilizer and I’m pleased to say the DW is gone. Now to figure out the real problem. I ordered a synergy brace and will install the new pump and report back. The RC stabilizer is way tighter then the factory one. Just another mask to the real issue.

Sounds like the JL death wobble is just like previous models where a stabilizer will hide it. Has to be something with excessive play somewhere though. Glad you can at least drive it though for now.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Wow, no kidding? Back when I first started having this problem, I tried the RC stablizer and found it to not do a thing. I later installed an OE stabilizer and found it to work great. But, that was over a year ago and maybe things have changed. Either way, glad to hear it worked out for you.

Top Bottom