37" tire width... 12.5 or 13.5?

There are many factors to consider with any size 37 when it comes to rubbing, as others have mentioned. Other factors are your lift height and what control arms you use, also wheel width can determine things. For instance a 17x10 wheel with 4.5 backspace is equivalent to a 17x9 wheel with 3.5 backspace. Track bar alignment is important as can cause rubbing on one side but not the other.

True. 3"enforcer, evo lcas and probably wheels with 4.25 bs.

Edit. Axle is centered.

View attachment 206488 this is with about 2.5in of lift, slabs with toyo 37x1350. Stock arms and on full turn would slightly kiss the frame and control arm. Steering stop adjustment with about a half inch more lift would of solved it but I lived with it

Hmmmm. Well we all know how much tires cost, so id hate to waste 2k lol. Dont know if the 13.5 pros would outweigh the cons...

blackrubi14

I am running 37" 13.50" wide Toyo's on my JKUR on a 9" rim. I did have to add a couple of washer to the steering stops on the axle, was rubbing on the frame before adding the washers, does not rub now.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I have 37/1350/17s on Slabs (3.5 B.S.), and I have no rubbing issue aside from full stuff full right lock, it barely rubs the frame on the passenger side :thumb:

RockyJk

meant to post here, sorry. no rubbing even with your swaybar connected? wonder why mine rubs then?! nice rig btw!

Yea it didnt have any rubbing I was actually kinda surprised since my front axle wasn't centered lol it was on a 4" Evo enforcer and I'm pretty sure the wheels were 17x8

Yea it didnt have any rubbing I was actually kinda surprised since my front axle wasn't centered lol it was on a 4" Evo enforcer and I'm pretty sure the wheels were 17x8

My wheels are the same size. I'll have to take a closer look tomorrow on of the axle is centered. Lucky you! Lol

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
37" tire width... 12.5 or 13.5?

There are many factors to consider with any size 37 when it comes to rubbing, as others have mentioned. Other factors are your lift height and what control arms you use, also wheel width can determine things. For instance a 17x10 wheel with 4.5 backspace is equivalent to a 17x9 wheel with 3.5 backspace. Track bar alignment is important as can cause rubbing on one side but not the other.

I may be off base but I think you have backspace and offset confused or I'm not understanding this. Backspace is backspace regardless of wheel width.

Medix, I went round and round between wheels and tires before I finally just sprung for Slabs due to the rubbing issues. From all the reading I've done on it it seems two identical jeeps could run the same setup and one rubs and one does not. I went the 12.5 route on tires strictly due to rating. I believe the 13.5 TG was E rated while 12.5 was D. I thought the D would have a little more sidewall flex. With my tire and wheel combo I'm pretty sure I would have rubbing issues with less than (or more than depending on how you look at it) backspace even with the 12.5. I know that probably doesn't help your decision, just giving you my take on it.

Last edited:

Sithwindu

I have 37/1350/17s on Slabs (3.5 B.S.), and I have no rubbing issue aside from full stuff full right lock, it barely rubs the frame on the passenger side :thumb:

I too am running a 37/13.50 on atx slabs and no rubbing. Mud grapplers and I'm running a 3 inch front 2.5 back lift. Stock control arms.

I may be off base but I think you have backspace and offset confused or I'm not understanding this. Backspace is backspace regardless of wheel width.

Medix, I went round and round between wheels and tires before I finally just sprung for Slabs due to the rubbing issues. From all the reading I've done on it it seems two identical jeeps could run the same setup and one rubs and one does not. I went the 12.5 route on tires strictly due to rating. I believe the 13.5 TG was E rated while 12.5 was D. I thought the D would have a little more sidewall flex. With my tire and wheel combo I'm pretty sure I would have rubbing issues with less than (or more than depending on how you look at it) backspace even with the 12.5. I know that probably doesn't help your decision, just giving you my take on it.
Thanks for the input. Im not going to run a really low bs wheel like slabs, so i think i best go with the 12.50 so i dont get into serious clearance troubles.

Exodus 4x4

I think the bs on my rock monsters is something like 4.6 and I'm running 13.5's. Had to get 1.5" spidertrax because they were rubbing.

Only at full turn. I'm not sure spidertrax makes a spacer less than 1.5". When you think about it, you have to be able to cover the original lug...

No im pretty sure they dont make anything less, for that reason. If it was a matter of just adding a couple washers to the steering stops, id do it. Sounds more severe than that, which points me further towords the 12.50

Exodus 4x4

No im pretty sure they dont make anything less, for that reason. If it was a matter of just adding a couple washers to the steering stops, id do it. Sounds more severe than that, which points me further towords the 12.50

Dude just go 13.5's, you won't regret it. Spacers are cheap.

Exodus 4x4

I thought about that but was worried taking the BS down to almost 3" would be pretty rough on bearings and such...
Edit-but i do like where your heads at

I think someone asked Eddie about it because he runs them on Rubicat and he doesn't think it's that bad. You might look for that. Bearings assemblies are cheap anyways.

Top Bottom