Hi Lift Jack

Once upon a time they were great. Mechanical, nothing that really breaks down. Multi use, jack winch etc. But as pointed out, plenty of better options out there. But yeah people mainly buy them bc they see other people with them and hunk they need one even though they wouldn’t know how to use it to do anything but change a tire, becoming more poser-y than useful. Especially when you carry one on each side on the door hinges ;)

Last edited:

BuiltUpJKU

Forgot about the Hi-Lift issues

I'm glad this thread was started. I recently got back into Jeeps, been gone for 15 years, and was thinking about adding one to my current JKU. I always carried one in the stock CJ7 when I was younger but mainly because I didn't have a winch or anything else. After reading through this I remembered how damn dangerous that thing can be. I think I will be going with the bottle jack and wood option. Would look great on my current Mall Crawler as I have also recently learned.

JohnnyBanks

They have multiple uses I had heard of farmers using them plenty of times....definitely need to watch videos on them that's the first thing I did after picking one up. And I got a 48. Didn't mount in on the outside of my jeep just mounted under the back seat. Don't need to show off a jack lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Kenthejeepguy

I don’t use my highlift Jack very often, like a lot of stuff I bring with me that I don’t use very often. In fact I have to keep a bottle of WD-40 in the glove box to get the thing to work when I do need it. As long as people realize that jacking has some dangers to it, and you best not get underneath while you’re jacking, you’re probably OK. The last time I had to use one I ended up having to use the winch to keep the jeep from sliding sideways. The bottle jack did the same thing when I tried it. I suppose ideally in addition to a proper Jack we would carry plenty of large flat wood blocking with us but I just don’t have that much storage space in addition to all the camping gear when I’m out on a trail. I hate my factory jeep stupid scissor jack, and I’ll probably start carrying some sort of bottle jack like the pictures show on these posts. That’s my two cents worth of advice, anyhow.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

CharlesC

Never have used mine. I just keep mine on the Jeep in case sticky fingered fuckers decide they want to steel something they take it and not my winch! So far, no sticky fingered fuckers...wait I better go check[emoji23]

Gbint

The only unplanned night in the bush was the one time I forgot my jack and my winch failed. Once my friend showed up with my hi-lift, I was out in 15 minutes. That was 20 years ago. Since then I have always had one in/on my Jeep. My current JK has one mounted on the tailgate. I hope to never use it, but it’s reassuring to know it’s there and would never fail me.

FallonJeeper

Mine has only been used twice.
1. Once to lift the bumper and body. It was a one time thing. A bottle jack would not have done the job.

2. To keep people from asking where my hi- lift jack is. It's stored securely on my roll bar, out of the way.

Gbint

I know a lot of people complain of hi-lifts rattling especially when mounted on back or hood. I’ve placed a couple of dollar store run door stop wedges in strategic locations, between moving parts and completely removed any rattling.

Oreo_penguin536

I know a lot of people complain of hi-lifts rattling especially when mounted on back or hood. I’ve placed a couple of dollar store run door stop wedges in strategic locations, between moving parts and completely removed any rattling.

I haven’t heard any rattling with mine but I also have a very beat up top. the only issue I have is the driver side wingnut gets loose from time to time, then again I also have the cuff locks and an axe mounted as well🤣

prionic1

If you're going to use a tool with a high chance of danger, make sure it's the official brand. If I ever buy a hi lift I will only ever buy a real one, not a Chinese knock off to save a few bucks.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Agreed. Not sure what the thought process is behind trying to save just a few bucks over something so pivotal to safety.

jdofmemi

If you're going to use a tool with a high chance of danger, make sure it's the official brand. If I ever buy a hi lift I will only ever buy a real one, not a Chinese knock off to save a few bucks.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I've had probably a half a dozen different ones, all genuine Hi Lift. They have saved my ass more times than I can count, and many times they get ran over in the process.

Genuine or not, when it falls over a gap, then gets ran over, it becomes "U" shaped.

I currently have one non original, because that was all that was available late on a Friday evening when I planned on wheeling my Jeep some as I drove it back from Colorado to SoCal. I was not going to be out alone without one.

I will put the real deal in it's place, but keep the knock off for my work truck.

Top Bottom