Rock Hard 4x4 JK Sport Cage Installation Write-Up

JAGS

Hooked
Thanks for the detailed write up.

Question.

Does the bar, above the dash board, impeded your vision/field of view any at all?

Are you vertically challenged? I'm 6'1" tall and no issue.

^^^ What CcT said. It really depends on how tall you are. I recently installed my cage. I stand at whopping 5'7" and am glad I have stinger. I have the seat as high as possible.

That said, the bar isn't really in your line of sight or anything and now a couple weeks out, I'm pretty much used to it. Small price to pay for something as important as safety. [emoji106] IMO

RRien07

When I picked mine up in 06 for my JKU it cam with a flat black primer only, so I bought some flat black a nf painted it all in the garage, but you can take the parts to any auto body shop and they will gladly paint them for you. I would not spend the coin on powder coating if you might be considering that, I have just three coats from a simple rustolium can and after all these years still no sign of rust. Wiped down they look as clean as when I installed the kit.
I put the full cage, front and rear, full rock sliders. Bumpers skid plates etc. I just keep adding paint when the rocks rub it off. I love the 3/8 steel. Rock hard solid. And best of all the stand completely behind their products. I have lost or broken pins and they have replaced or provided me upgrades as they have made a lot of changes to the protection from when I bought it. The don't even offer my rear bumper any more. Love this product.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Did anyone ELSE have little spot welds on the factory cage that dont allow the overhead cross bar to be installed all the way forward? :grayno: I am growing more and more confident that my jeep HATES me... :doh:

Ddays

Hooked
Did anyone ELSE have little spot welds on the factory cage that dont allow the overhead cross bar to be installed all the way forward? :grayno: I am growing more and more confident that my jeep HATES me... :doh:

:mad: Yes dammit. My RH overhead crossbar has foot marks where I got pissed and kicked the goddam thing into place. I did feel better after having done so. :D

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
:mad: Yes dammit. My RH overhead crossbar has foot marks where I got pissed and kicked the goddam thing into place. I did feel better after having done so. :D

I was planning on getting the grinder out and taking the spot welds down... but we had a pretty big rainstorm coming in, so I just buttoned everything back up for the time being... I didnt think to BFH it... :hmm: my issue is that from the pics, it looks like those spot welds will be RIGHT in the middle of the clamp for the collar when everything is lined up and the overhead center section is in. :idontknow: I guess its grinder time... :doh: ...again

EDIT: anyone have a P/N for the little plastic Philips screw clips? NEITHER of mine came out nicely so I need 2 replacements in order to put the corner trim pieces back in... :gaah:
Is this them?

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Push_Type_Retainer_19_32_Hd_Dia_29_32_Length_p/a14992.htm

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
Wasn't sure where to put this or even if it will work for others. Figured I'd put this here for now and see if others get use of it.

One of the things that has bugged me with the cage since day one is that the drivers side visor does not easily go up and down since the cage install. I basically have to slide out the visor put it down, then slide it back it because of the handle. My passenger side is close, but it works pretty much as it did before. Not sure why, but yesterday I was looking at the angles. Decided to unscrew the visor and throw about 1/4 - 3/8 of an inch worth of washers on the left side screw. Put the visor back on and wouldn't you know, clears the handle now. :shock:

Just thought I'd throw it out there as could be a simple fix for others too. Simple enough to try at least. :yup:

OhNoTheJiggies

Wasn't sure where to put this or even if it will work for others. Figured I'd put this here for now and see if others get use of it.

One of the things that has bugged me with the cage since day one is that the drivers side visor does not easily go up and down since the cage install. I basically have to slide out the visor put it down, then slide it back it because of the handle. My passenger side is close, but it works pretty much as it did before. Not sure why, but yesterday I was looking at the angles. Decided to unscrew the visor and throw about 1/4 - 3/8 of an inch worth of washers on the left side screw. Put the visor back on and wouldn't you know, clears the handle now. :shock:

Just thought I'd throw it out there as could be a simple fix for others too. Simple enough to try at least. :yup:
Perfect, should be installing mine next week, good info, thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Pics or gtfo!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked

I'll have to give that a try, I'm about to pull the cage to fix some of the behind the dash crap that the shop left half-assed when they replaced my heater core.

For now, I loosened the cage on the top visor mount and at the side plate then put a pry bar thru the handle and pulled out on it while I tightened the top bolts up then the side plate.

surprisingly it's held.

Gonna have to find a new place for my crossovers when I get this I have them right where the side pannels go. Any ideas for color with anvil? Everything else pretty much black, might go w a blue tho.... thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

Anybody else have a gap on the upper cross member? I tightened down one side and there's a 1/4" gap on the other side with bolts tightened. It's not getting a snug fit around the existing roll bar.

Anybody else have a gap on the upper cross member? I tightened down one side and there's a 1/4" gap on the other side with bolts tightened. It's not getting a snug fit around the existing roll bar.

Throw a ratchet strap around your factory tubes to close that gap, then retighten collar bolts. Remember to tighten upper and lower 2 middle bolts first, then the outers. :beer:

GraniteCrystal

Throw a ratchet strap around your factory tubes to close that gap, then retighten collar bolts. Remember to tighten upper and lower 2 middle bolts first, then the outers. [emoji481]
I'll give that a shot. 1/4" seems like a heck of a gap to crank down on the stock cage. Not a big deal? I don't want to start popping welds, nuts, etc or bending the windshield.

I'll give that a shot. 1/4" seems like a heck of a gap to crank down on the stock cage. Not a big deal? I don't want to start popping welds, nuts, etc or bending the windshield.
The issue you are having is super rare, but we've seen it before and the strap did the trick every time.

Top Bottom