Dynatrac Dynaloc Hub Rebuild

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Awesome write up! But this and the JTX videos made me realize I don't understand what hub lockers are for...

I initially assumed that hub lockers are the manual version of air/e differential lockers.

After watching Eddie twist his hub lockers I realized that may not be the case. I'm assuming his UD60s came equipped with air or e lockers so what would he need manual hub lockers for? Unless they are for some other reason...

Anyone have a thread they can point me at that explains how these work? Or maybe my initial assumptions were correct and Eddie went with the manual lockers on this build... Apologies in advance for my ignorance!

Ddays

Hooked
Awesome write up! But this and the JTX videos made me realize I don't understand what hub lockers are for...

I initially assumed that hub lockers are the manual version of air/e differential lockers.

After watching Eddie twist his hub lockers I realized that may not be the case. I'm assuming his UD60s came equipped with air or e lockers so what would he need manual hub lockers for? Unless they are for some other reason...

Anyone have a thread they can point me at that explains how these work? Or maybe my initial assumptions were correct and Eddie went with the manual lockers on this build... Apologies in advance for my ignorance!

Lockout hubs at the wheel end are totally independent of the locking differentials inside the pumpkin part of the axle.
The lockout hubs disconnect the stub shaft of the axle from the wheels so that they freewheel and do not turn the differential. This saves wear and tear on the front axle parts as well as the drive shaft.

The locking differentials lock the two complete axle shafts together via air (ARB), mechanical means (OX), or electric (Eaton)

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

A hub is not a locker. They are separate. Eddie has elockers in his UD60’s and I have ARB’s in my Dynatrac. That makes no difference. A hub allows your front end to not spin until locked. Driving down the road my front Driveshaft, axle shafts and differential do not spin as they do on your factory axle. If I hit the air locker without the hubs locked, it won’t work. A hub basically engages your front end.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Lockout hubs at the wheel end are totally independent of the locking differentials inside the pumpkin part of the axle.
The lockout hubs disconnect the stub shaft of the axle from the wheels so that they freewheel and do not turn the differential. This saves wear and tear on the front axle parts as well as the drive shaft.

The locking differentials lock the two complete axle shafts together via air (ARB), mechanical means (OX), or electric (Eaton)

A hub is not a locker. They are separate. Eddie has elockers in his UD60’s and I have ARB’s in my Dynatrac. That makes no difference. A hub allows your front end to not spin until locked. Driving down the road my front Driveshaft, axle shafts and differential do not spin as they do on your factory axle. If I hit the air locker without the hubs locked, it won’t work. A hub basically engages your front end.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Thank you both. Makes sense and I am a little bit less ignorant! Not much though. :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom