Low range and won't go!

bhaner

You’re parked vertical. You’re starving your motor and transmission. What do you expect?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

It doesn't seem to matter what angle it is at. Even with it level it will still do it when I try to climb. It's like it has a limit of how much torque it is willing to apply before it stops.

Doubt it is starving anything. Even when the angle was extreme enough to dump oil into the intake the oil pressure never dropped. The transmission doesn't slip. The RPM's are just not allowed to go up.

I would expect someone here of all places to have some insight on the issue. I can't be the only one with a 3.6L and auto to notice this issue.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
It doesn't seem to matter what angle it is at. Even with it level it will still do it when I try to climb. It's like it has a limit of how much torque it is willing to apply before it stops.

Doubt it is starving anything. Even when the angle was extreme enough to dump oil into the intake the oil pressure never dropped. The transmission doesn't slip. The RPM's are just not allowed to go up.

I would expect someone here of all places to have some insight on the issue. I can't be the only one with a 3.6L and auto to notice this issue.

I have had similar issues to what you are describing. You push the gas and there isn’t a response for a second or it just cuts out and won’t rev up. It’s happened to me on a couple of obstacles and I’m not sure exactly what it is. It seems to happen when I’m trying to throttle over an obstacle because there is no traction. I’m almost certain it’s the traction control in my situation, but I’m really not sure.

bhaner

I’m almost certain it’s the traction control in my situation, but I’m really not sure.

I agree! That is exactly what it feels like!

I will get to the bottom of it. Talked with some people who use HP tuner. I guess there is a section that shows max torque values for each gear. 1st is limited to like 200 ft/lbs. That could be the whole issue.

Sometimes I leave it in auto mode and it will climb better in 2nd. However if it bumps down into 1st it feels like it is limited again.

Damn computers.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I agree! That is exactly what it feels like!

I will get to the bottom of it. Talked with some people who use HP tuner. I guess there is a section that shows max torque values for each gear. 1st is limited to like 200 ft/lbs. That could be the whole issue.

Sometimes I leave it in auto mode and it will climb better in 2nd. However if it bumps down into 1st it feels like it is limited again.

Damn computers.

I am always in 1st when this happens, interesting.

bhaner

I am always in 1st when this happens, interesting.

Leaving it in auto mode or manual 2nd causes it to act completely different.

I also think it wants to start in 2nd in low range all the time. If I am against something and bump it from auto or 2nd down to 1st you can feel it shift down.

USMC Wrangler

I don’t have an answer for you, but what is that grinding sound in your MikeyB Hill Climb video? Sounds like when you’re shifting between P, R and D?

Air compressor?

bhaner

I don’t have an answer for you, but what is that grinding sound in your MikeyB Hill Climb video? Sounds like when you’re shifting between P, R and D?

Air compressor?

LOL! I had to go watch it again... Yep. That is my Dual ARB compressor under the passenger seat. It runs when I turn on the lockers.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
Leaving it in auto mode or manual 2nd causes it to act completely different.

I also think it wants to start in 2nd in low range all the time. If I am against something and bump it from auto or 2nd down to 1st you can feel it shift down.

Your description almost sounds like it’s in limp mode. Have you tried having it scanned for codes.

You can google how to make a “fun button” to completely bypass traction controls if you think that’s the issue. Someone mentioned torque converter but If the Rpms aren’t climbing I don’t think that would be it.

I've had an issue in the past, but can't seem to find the forum that describes the problem, but it sounds exactly like what is going on with yours.

Steep hill, loaded Jeep (5 adults in it), 4 low, the jeep upshifted to 2nd or 3rd, ( I don't recall exactly) but the power suddenly dropped and wouldn't go much above idle. I put the Jeep in park, shut down, removed key, then restarted and it worked fine.

The reasoning (from what I remember reading) is that the high torque, low RPM scenario (lugging) can cause the computer to go into limp mode with no error code. Turning off and turning back on solves the problem and manual first gear helps avoid it.

I haven't had it happen in a couple years, so forgive my foggy memory. But I don't know of any permanent fix...

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
I think I can solve your problem but I’ll need to be there to fix it and we’ll need to do that same obstacle. [emoji12] Nice driving!!

Sounds like traction control is kicking in when it shouldn’t. Any weird speed sensor issues?

bhaner

I think I can solve your problem but I’ll need to be there to fix it and we’ll need to do that same obstacle. [emoji12] Nice driving!!

Sounds like traction control is kicking in when it shouldn’t. Any weird speed sensor issues?

I would so go back and do it again! Sand Hollow was awesome!

It was all the spotter at that point! I was just the guy holding the wheel.

No other issues that I have found.

maskale

I know exactly what you are talking about. I don't have a solution. Mine does it. No reason that I can tell. Usually I can stomp the throttle and it goes. Sometimes it stumbles and acts like its going to die. Is definitely an electrical cut out. fucking BS is what it is. it only does it off idle in 4lo.

Top Bottom