GPS Vehicle Tracking systems

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
As for shutting down on the highway, that seems improbable if the switch was wired between the battery and starter. The switch would control a high amperage relay that would disconnect the high current circuit powering the starter motor. This would not interfere with low voltage circuits (PDM or canbus), and if it did fail, it would only cause the vehicle to not start - not stall on the highway like a true kill switch.

This mod is much less complicated than something like an engine swap that folks routinely do on this forum (and in my opinion, probably less likely to leave you stranded), so it should be comparatively easy to do a starter switch properly. Plus, a starter switch does not require a data plan subscription. Of course, having both a starter switch and gps would be ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

You should stick to chemistry.

A basic car alarm/immobiliser is more sophisticated than what you’re suggesting.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Noble Woodsman

A basic car alarm/immobiliser is more sophisticated than what you’re suggesting.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Not sure what part of my post you're referring to. i agree that to circumvent onstar or other immobilizer systems that more than a signal jammer would be needed, but the scope of the discussion is aftermarket gps trackers, not commercial immobilizers. If you mean that installing a starter switch would be more complicated than what i propose, please elaborate.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
But insurance wont cover the cost of all the upgrades, right? Wont they just pay for a new stock vehicle (if that)?

Have to have your insurance set up right. Mine is insured for model year newer + 10k in “accessories”/“modifications”

Seahawkfan

Hooked
That may be true, but regardless of the type of thief, i would rather my rig not move in the first place than to have to track it down by gps only to find it totaled from a joy ride, already disassembled at a chop shop, or somewhere across the border.

Jamming gps is not as expensive or sophisticated as you might think, and it is far simpler than circumventing encrypted key fobs and such. A simple jammer can be had for as little as $60, (example: http://www.jammerall.com/products/Mini-GPS-jammer-for-Car.html ) and any 15 year old proficient with computers or electronics can build a jammer themselves. Anyone attempting grand theft auto would be idiotic to not invest in a jammer given the prominence of lojack, onstar, etc. these days.

As for shutting down on the highway, that seems improbable if the switch was wired between the battery and starter. The switch would control a high amperage relay that would disconnect the high current circuit powering the starter motor. This would not interfere with low voltage circuits (PDM or canbus), and if it did fail, it would only cause the vehicle to not start - not stall on the highway like a true kill switch.

This mod is much less complicated than something like an engine swap that folks routinely do on this forum (and in my opinion, probably less likely to leave you stranded), so it should be comparatively easy to do a starter switch properly. Plus, a starter switch does not require a data plan subscription. Of course, having both a starter switch and gps would be ideal.

You're kind of Big Bang Theory without the funny!! Are you on the Popular Mechanics Forum as well.:thinking:

Foley

Hi,

I dont know If Bearlock is known in the US. Its a type of transmission lock. There are some safety features so the thief cant unbolt or deactivate the bear lock.

1890w_280x210.jpg

https://www.bear-lock.de/produkte/suche?marke=Jeep&modell=Wrangler&typ=(JK)&article-category=gsp

I have this in my JK. I know some people who have this also installed and there jk were tried to get stolen. Thanks to bearlock there just have a destroyed center console.

Lg

Jsouder53

Hooked
Hi,

I dont know If Bearlock is known in the US. Its a type of transmission lock. There are some safety features so the thief cant unbolt or deactivate the bear lock.

1890w_280x210.jpg

https://www.bear-lock.de/produkte/suche?marke=Jeep&modell=Wrangler&typ=(JK)&article-category=gsp

I have this in my JK. I know some people who have this also installed and there jk were tried to get stolen. Thanks to bearlock there just have a destroyed center console.

Lg

That’s pretty interesting, never heard of it. Then again, I’ve never looked into car alarms or immobilizers

clearben

Vendor
I know this is an old thread but I wonder if anyone has any additional trackers they're using with success.

I've heard in other forums that AirTags work well for tracking vehicles.

I represent Clear Telematics and we sell a tracker that helps with theft protection and recovery, has geofences, and can even track run time for servicing. Check out our GPS Tracker For Cars (and Jeeps!). What sets us apart from most our competition is we have all the important features and a vehicle tracking device with a low monthly fee.

By the way, I did get permission from this forum to post about our product, so hopefully someone will find this helpful!

But I'm still interested in other trackers you might be using.

WJCO

Meme King
I know this is an old thread but I wonder if anyone has any additional trackers they're using with success.

I represent Clear Telematics and we sell a tracker that helps with theft protection and recovery, has geofences, and can even track run time for servicing. Check out our GPS Tracker For Cars (and Jeeps!). What sets us apart from most our competition is we have all the important features and a vehicle tracking device with a low monthly fee.

By the way, I did get permission from this forum to post about our product, so hopefully someone will find this helpful!

Welcome (y)

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

I am unclear Ben.

Welcome

clearben

Vendor
lol , just buy a new car with shitty credit. the finance company puts the tracker in it for you for free, and pays the monthly subscription.

We install lots for subprime lenders all the time.
Do you know what type of tracker or the company that makes the tracker?

jesse3638

Hooked
lol , just buy a new car with shitty credit. the finance company puts the tracker in it for you for free, and pays the monthly subscription.

We install lots for subprime lenders all the time.
Didn't know that was a thing. If it was that much of a risk I figured they just wouldn't get the loan.

trailraider

Didn't know that was a thing. If it was that much of a risk I figured they just wouldn't get the loan.
Sure is . They are typically ones where people are rebuilding credit and have the high interest rates. They certainly don't tell the client that they installed one.

kevman65

Hooked
Sure is . They are typically ones where people are rebuilding credit and have the high interest rates. They certainly don't tell the client that they installed one.
And when your trade in and down is about 2/3's the purchase price of the new vehicle and they still put one in, bet your ass they get yelled at to remove it before it goes off the lot. FYI, most dealers that install them tie the monthly fee into your payment plan. That's where I spotted it and told them to remove it or deal was dead.

trailraider

And when your trade in and down is about 2/3's the purchase price of the new vehicle and they still put one in, bet your ass they get yelled at to remove it before it goes off the lot. FYI, most dealers that install them tie the monthly fee into your payment plan. That's where I spotted it and told them to remove it or deal was dead.
I have yet to see any customer charged for one. It is always the finance company that pays the fee. It's a seperate thing from anything the dealer does. they just pay for the install of the unit.

Top Bottom