Learning to Weld-- Tips for Beginners on Welding and Gear

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
Just got back into welding after a 15 year hiatus. Lincoln 210mp. Really want to try tig welding for the pretty welds! +1 on getting a good grinder. Metabo makes great grinders.

If you're going to try to TiG weld, you're getting into buying argon (nitrogen and helium are options, but argon is the best bet) gas as the shielding to keep oxygen out, which means bottle purchases or rentals, buying gauges, hoses, Tig handles, tungsten, etc. I'd suggest buying a TiG handle with a gas lens, as opposed to a straight collet. It distributes the argon better to the weld area.

HeyitsRay

If you're going to try to TiG weld, you're getting into buying argon (nitrogen and helium are options, but argon is the best bet) gas as the shielding to keep oxygen out, which means bottle purchases or rentals, buying gauges, hoses, Tig handles, tungsten, etc. I'd suggest buying a TiG handle with a gas lens, as opposed to a straight collet. It distributes the argon better to the weld area.

A friend of mine that welds suggested I start with a 17 torch, and pyrex cup? I still need to get a Argon bottle, grinder for tungsten, etc.

USMC Wrangler

I would like to learn to weld...

Is that the model that allows 110/220 and TIG, MIG and stick?

Yes. It's ready to run MIG and stick out of the box. For TIG you need to purchase the TIG setup separately and connect it to the machine. Admittedly I've never run TIG, so I can't say much about that. I do intend on getting that setup next semester at my local welding class though.

Last edited by a moderator:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
What type of welding helmet and misc. welding equipment?

Hey fellas. I just bought a Hobart Handler 140, and I'm going to play around with it. I've always wanted to know how to weld. I'm looking for input on what type of helmet gives the most bang for the buck. I've searched around, on here and seen that auto-darkening seems to be a favorite. I'm a little afraid to buy a Harbor Freight special, so what do you like?

Of course, I've still got to buy a torch, gloves, and other miscellaneous equipment. I have a grinder, but I may want to upgrade it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats to you on your new welder! :thumb:

I bought my auto-darkening helmet from Northern Tool and it's worked well for me. You should be able to find something decent at your local Tractor Supply or the like store. If you look around locally, you should be able to find really nice helmets at a welding supply store but you can even get basic stuff at Lowes or Home Depot. Really good helmets can cost a LOT of cash but unless you think you're going to be doing a lot of welding, it can be hard to justify.

Will you be running gas or just flux core for now?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
What type of welding helmet and misc. welding equipment?

Don't buy a cheap one (harbor freight). I have a cheap one(harbor freight) and a nicer one. While the cheaper one hasn't failed me there are a lot of horror stories about them failing mid weld and that is not a good thing. The last thing you want to do is burn your eyes. You only have one set.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

Congrats to you on your new welder! :thumb:

I bought my auto-darkening helmet from Northern Tool and it's worked well for me. You should be able to find something decent at your local Tractor Supply or the like store. If you look around locally, you should be able to find really nice helmets at a welding supply store but you can even get basic stuff at Lowes or Home Depot. Really good helmets can cost a LOT of cash but unless you think you're going to be doing a lot of welding, it can be hard to justify.

Will you be running gas or just flux core for now?

Thanks. I was actually wondering about some of the Northern Tool helmets. We have one close by. I have noticed the large price range in helmets, and no, I won't be doing a lot of welding. Honestly, for the money, I'd be better off to pay a welder, but like I said, I've always wanted to know how, so I'm going to start burning. Dad has a little scrap metal he's saved, so I may go to his place and practice. My brother has a torch he uses with a stick welder that he taught himself on.

Unknown on the gas or flux core. I suppose wind would affect gas, so probably flux, here at the house.

notnalc68

Don't buy a cheap one (harbor freight). I have a cheap one(harbor freight) and a nicer one. While the cheaper one hasn't failed me there are a lot of horror stories about them failing mid weld and that is not a good thing. The last thing you want to do is burn your eyes. You only have one set.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yep, and it hurts. I've had it happen at my Dad's friend's shop, when I was a kid, and I wasn't even looking directly at it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You can always go old school and just get a helmet with a set darkness. You just have to get setup before you lower your hood.

drty6

When you burn your eyes it will happen get some Vicks and put under your eyes like eye black for sports and it will take away the sand feeling that wakes you up in the middle of the night

SDG

Caught the Bug
I have a northern tool auto helmet and also an auto miller. The northern tool one has worked fine, but as it does have its drawbacks, which may or may not apply to you. For everyday stuff its fine. Problem is when you get into tight spaces there are fewer sensors and they may get blocked by an obstruction in which case it may or may not trigger. The nicer helmets have more sensors in diff locations and also have a grinding mode so they wont trigger when you are using an angle grinder so less helmet on and off.

I like the flat wire wheel for the grinder myself if using flux core. Be careful with any wire wheel, have gotten wires thrown through my t-shirt and into the skin in my stomach before haha.

Sent from my SM-G900P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom