Sure it's Bigger... but is it actually Better? DISSECTING the JL WRANGLER Front Axle

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Damn... that PR44 does offer up some peace of mind when compared to the other 2.... I thought the JL tube would be thicker than that... Crazy.

Yeah, me too. That is, until I saw it from the inside. :icon_crazy:

Seeing those axle tube cross sections really puts it into perspective. Now I'm going to cringe every time I hit a rut or bump.

Fortunately, you're still stock and a 2-door so it should hold up just fine.

Great read. Very informative[emoji106]

Thanks. Glad to hear it.

JAGS

Hooked
With the FAD, I realize you can just fully swap internals, but kind of a bummer as that makes an upgrade to PR44JL much likely more expensive. Those tube walls are impressive though!!

Will be interesting to see the price points and options as things progress. You’ve noted not being a fan of the RCV axle shafts.

Looking forward to the vid all the same.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Awsome read and the side by side comparisons really tell the whole story. I can’t believe that the JL axel tube is that thin. Engineering is engineering, but sometimes one just needs to take a step back to see that things don’t quite look right, regardless of the “engineering”.

boardsurfer

You really can't argue with those photos. Good stuff! I love the How It's Made videos too. I still watch the PR80 video on occasion. :thumb:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Jesus Christ the jl tube walls are thin compared to the jk. Also the pr44 tubes are massive!!!

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Very informative, PR44 tube is massive. Can’t wait to see one under Jet Li, also can’t wait to see how one is made.

jesse3638

Hooked
What Ddays said. As much as we would have loved to go XD60 and run 40's, we've got a Gladiator we need to buy and doing both would have been a bit much for us. Needless to say, for now, we're just planning on sticking with 37's.

Famous last words. I get it though baby steps..haha.

There is a reason Dynatrac has the reputation they do. You get what you pay for.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
IMPORTANT CORRECTION
So, I just got off the phone with Dynatrac and need to make an important correction. The JL Wrangler tube cross section I show in my photos is based on a distributed CAD model but apparently, is not accurate to what is actually being used. Just to make absolutely sure, Dynatrac went out and physically measured the tube on our Rubicon front axle and found that it is 2.75" in diameter BUT, it has a wall thickness that's closer to what you find on the JK Wrangler. To be exact, it's even a hair thicker and measures 0.281". Dynatrac then went out and physically measured the Sport and Sahara axles they have and found them to be the same - 2.75" diameter and with a 0.281" wall. Needless to say, the photos I posted are NOT 100% accurate as the JL Wrangler tubes are in fact thicker but still a far cry from a ProRock 44JL.

I apologize for the inaccurate information and I hope to post updated photos in the near future.

JJ151

IMPORTANT CORRECTION
So, I just got off the phone with Dynatrac and need to make an important correction. The JL Wrangler tube cross section I show in my photos is based on a distributed CAD model but apparently, is not accurate to what is actually being used. Just to make absolutely sure, Dynatrac went out and physically measured the tube on our Rubicon front axle and found that it is 2.75" in diameter BUT, it has a wall thickness that's closer to what you find on the JK Wrangler. To be exact, it's even a hair thicker and measures 0.281". Dynatrac then went out and physically measured the Sport and Sahara axles they have and found them to be the same - 2.75" diameter and with a 0.281" wall. Needless to say, the photos I posted are NOT 100% accurate as the JL Wrangler tubes are in fact thicker but still a far cry from a ProRock 44JL.

I apologize for the inaccurate information and I hope to post updated photos in the near future.

Appreciate the correction!! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
This reinforces why I wont go bigger than 35's on my Rubicon. Your write up is informative and thanks for the correction.
You can't buy any vehicle from factory and expect it to be the NUTS. Jeep has to pay government an exorbitant amount of money to even release the Wrangler(and other vehicles) Bigger the carbon foot print, the more auto manuf's have to pay. That's why they lightened it up as much as they could and still maintain the safety standards. But shit will break!!
Within 10 years or less gas engines will be almost gone. Have you seen Jeeps 5 year plan? https://wayalife.com/images/smilies/sSc_eek2.gif

I’ll admit I’m a bit surprised they went with FAD. I understand why, just a little surprised. I still see it as a major improvement over the JK, with the exception of the drain plug...

wjtstudios

Hooked
Looking forward to seeing Jet Li on the PR!

It’s really cool the behind the scenes access you get and then to bring us along with you for us to see as well. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom