Seafoam spray

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I know we got a lot of members on here that have older vehicles. I am curious about the seafoam spray seen some videos and read a lot of reviews and it seems to be a really nice product. Has anybody tried this any pros and cons about it?

I use the dog piss out of Sea Foam deep creep and the original.

Deep creep for old carbs and rusty bolts and crap. The original, I’ll dunk a bottle in all my cars that I don’t drive a lot on their first refuel after sitting.

I have zero clue if it actually is doing something. Makes me feel good though so there is that. lol

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
If your trying to clean off the carbon in the motor on the valves it kinda works. You need to use a lot of it tho and in conjunction with top tier fuel for it to really work.

I work at a gm dealer and I use the gm top engine cleaner (basically same thing) and it does a good enough job to help eliminate a p0300 (random misfire) code due to the carbon build up. The gm bulletin specifically says tho to use top tier fuel in conjunction to fully eliminate it coming back.

If your trying to clean off the carbon in the motor on the valves it kinda works. You need to use a lot of it tho and in conjunction with top tier fuel for it to really work.

I work at a gm dealer and I use the gm top engine cleaner (basically same thing) and it does a good enough job to help eliminate a p0300 (random misfire) code due to the carbon build up. The gm bulletin specifically says tho to use top tier fuel in conjunction to fully eliminate it coming back.

This is why I first started using it years ago. My 2007 Silverado threw that code and was told it was carbon build up. Now it’s just habit to fuel with good fuel and dunk a bottle in the tank about twice a year in all my vehicles.
Who knows. Maybe it works or maybe it’s the reason why I’ve had to get that engine rebuilt at 100k. [emoji848]

BaddestCross

I used it for a hot soak at 100k miles in Fiona and she's been burning oil ever since. Either it fucked up her engine or the carbon deposits were the only thing holding the oil in. 😂

I do dump 4oz of Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas tank at every fill-up and it makes the motor run a lot smoother.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Either it fucked up her engine or the carbon deposits were the only thing holding the oil in. [emoji23]

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
I had a similar thing happen in an old car when I started running diesel oil. The cleaning additives in rotella -t synthetic managed to clean out some deposits that were apparently clogging holes and started dripping oil. That’s what you get when you try to give your baby nice things. Went back to dinosaur oil.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

I had a similar thing happen in an old car when I started running diesel oil. The cleaning additives in rotella -t synthetic managed to clean out some deposits that were apparently clogging holes and started dripping oil. That’s what you get when you try to give your baby nice things. Went back to dinosaur oil.

Lol. Yeah, she doesn't leak, and there's no smoke, but the oil drops about a quart every 1000 miles. I went back to dino oil from synthetic and I've been playing with weights... I'm at 10w30 now. We'll see how that goes.

With synthetic 5W20 it was burning about a quart every 650-700 miles and asking for an oil change every 2500. Now that I'm back to dino, it went to about 5500 before asking for a change. I think the last weight I used was 5W30, so I'll see if 10W30 gets the burning to slow any more.

--

wjtstudios

Hooked
I would hot soak it once a year in my scramble to get rid of carbon deposits and stop the spark knocking. I’d pour it into the carb slowly until the engine would stall. Let it soak for 10 minutes, then fire it up. It would smoke and steam like the house was on fire, but after letting it run for a bit, it was good for 5-7k miles.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I would hot soak it once a year in my scramble to get rid of carbon deposits and stop the spark knocking. I’d pour it into the carb slowly until the engine would stall. Let it soak for 10 minutes, then fire it up. It would smoke and steam like the house was on fire, but after letting it run for a bit, it was good for 5-7k miles.

I would recommend letting it sit closer to an hour so that it can eat thru the carbon more. Gets a better soak that way

Top Bottom