Teraflex - Bad rep for a reason or isolated cases?

jeepr13

Why all the Tereflex hate?

I do not own any Tereflex products, but curious about all of the hate for the company on this forum. Would like to hear about actual issues with the product from people that own/ owned their products. I don't plan on running Tereflex products but want to understand the issues people have had.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Too funny how a lot of opinions regarding shitty products get labeled as "hate." There are a number of threads with documented Teraflex part failures and one even recently that showed a number of failures. I'll look for it in a sec.

EDIT: I just merged your thread here. This guy asked the same question.

Last edited:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I do not own any Tereflex products, but curious about all of the hate for the company on this forum. Would like to hear about actual issues with the product from people that own/ owned their products. I don't plan on running Tereflex products but want to understand the issues people have had.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4740-TeraFlex-Hinged-Tire-Carrier-Break

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?20903-TeraFlex-If-it-Breaks-It-s-Your-Fault

These are just two of the many threads giving multiple reasons not to buy from them.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

I wouldn't call it Teraflex hate. Members may advise someone to spend their money elsewhere. Usually what you may see as hate, is internet banter between a Teraflex lover, and people needling him.

Many of the members here, that you may think, "hate," Teraflex, have run their products before, including Wayoflife. They are trying to save you some coin. Despite what all the slick marketing they do says, most of their products are overpriced, and of lesser quality than some other brands.

GraniteCrystal

I wouldn't call it Teraflex hate. Members may advise someone to spend their money elsewhere. Usually what you may see as hate, is internet banter between a Teraflex lover, and people needling him.

Many of the members here, that you may think, "hate," Teraflex, have run their products before, including Wayoflife. They are trying to save you some coin. Despite what all the slick marketing they do says, most of their products are overpriced, and of lesser quality than some other brands.

I've never even understood the "slick marketing" bit. Every TF video I've ever watched is just awkward.

To the OP, anybody here will tell you to run what you want, wheel it, and form your own opinions. One point of a forum is to learn from others though.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I've never even understood the "slick marketing" bit. Every TF video I've ever watched is just awkward.

To the OP, anybody here will tell you to run what you want, wheel it, and form your own opinions. One point of a forum is to learn from others though.

Lol! I suppose I could have worded that different, because I agree. The videos are weird. Their stuff is everywhere...lots of videos, prominently displayed in catalogs (which they probably pay for), tremendously loved on some forums (by people that have no experience), etc. If I hadn't found Wayalife, I'd have fallen for it, too.

When OverlanderJK says, "It rides like shit." He knows. He's run their coils.

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
I have a 2.5 coil lift from Teraflex and I find it to ride kinda harsh. Also I'm pretty sure all of their products are made in China so you just can't expect the same quality as an American product like EVO

Wonder if the steel used is US made or sourced outside..........just saying. NeverthelessTeraflex quality control does stink for many of their products (esp wheel-carrier, monster track bar.....) Even the elka shocks sourced for them aren't that great....

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Wonder if the steel used is US made or sourced outside..........just saying. NeverthelessTeraflex quality control does stink for many of their products (esp wheel-carrier, monster track bar.....) Even the elka shocks sourced for them aren't that great....

I don't know but the metal is pretty porous. I broke two "monster" track bars, along with the long arm frame side brackets.

423521_3125280844708_540842230_n.jpg View attachment 248422 DSC03709.jpg

bigcale

Caught the Bug
Only bought two things from them.

I used to run their disconnects on my XJ, they sucked getting them on and off so I eventually pulled them and never put them back on.

And the one I still have:

61665Vim-2L._SL1500_.jpg

You would think it would be hard to screw those up but one of them deflates at a slower rate than the others.

deezus

Im running Rock Krawler 3.5 xfactor for two years now and have no complaints. It was installed by a big box 4 wd place here in sac, and thats really my only complaint. My ride in the street is good, offroad it's fantastic. I havent had any other lift though. My choices were Evo or RK at the time and I went with RK because of the stiffer springs,, no sag. On my next kit I would go evo if I could get springs with no sag, and again im going on what I've read here on the sagging and I think that's with the jeep fully loaded.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Im running Rock Krawler 3.5 xfactor for two years now and have no complaints. It was installed by a big box 4 wd place here in sac, and thats really my only complaint. My ride in the street is good, offroad it's fantastic. I havent had any other lift though. My choices were Evo or RK at the time and I went with RK because of the stiffer springs,, no sag. On my next kit I would go evo if I could get springs with no sag, and again im going on what I've read here on the sagging and I think that's with the jeep fully loaded.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using WAYALIFE mobile app

RK vs Johnny Joint CA ends.

Currie, EVO, & Clayton use JJ ends. Should help with anyone trying to get the best kit for their money. I just replaced my RK front lowers with Currie's.

Rk vs JJ.jpg

Rv vs JJ 2.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
Those ends are huge! How long did it take the Rk's to wear out?

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app
Well full disclosure here: they failed prematurely because a guy got carried away heating the arm to loosen the end so I could remove it. Burned the damn thing up. I had to get a new end but got a set of Currie LCA's as backup. Once I saw them I took the other RK arm off & put the Curries on!

Sent from my VS985 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

JMac79

Being new to the Jeep community I was intrigued by Teraflex as a review in a popular magazine labeled it "the Cadillac ride" when referring to how it compared to other suspension systems. Wanting to spend anywhere between $2000-$3200 for a lift kit is a hard choice to make. So you take reviews for what they are worth and do a lot of research then do a lot more research! What I found is that they are great at marketing. It doesn't mean their products are junk, but maybe they market better than their products are actually worth. Anyhow, I came onto this forum and I wouldn't say it was hate by members here. Rather people talked about their experiences with Teraflex products. I think the last thing anyone wants is for people to is make the same mistakes we have made. Most of the Teraflex comments I have heard here, is that there is something better out there, do your research but it is your money at the end of the day. When I heard about Evo through this forum, I didn't go run out and buy their products. Mainly because I am overseas in Japan and my Jeep is waiting for my return. Instead I priced it out and did more research and it seems to be the option I am going to take. I use this forum as a place of research, to learn from people that have already went down a path I am going to take and help where I can. One thing that I don't think gets enough attention is the "made in America" way of thinking. It's not only to support our country, but also because we go to China or other countries for cheap labor. Cheap labor=cheap craftsmanship. You get what you paid for, and yes it might be a little more at first, but it will pay off in the long run. My opinion.

WJCO

Meme King
Being new to the Jeep community I was intrigued by Teraflex as a review in a popular magazine labeled it "the Cadillac ride" when referring to how it compared to other suspension systems. Wanting to spend anywhere between $2000-$3200 for a lift kit is a hard choice to make. So you take reviews for what they are worth and do a lot of research then do a lot more research! What I found is that they are great at marketing. It doesn't mean their products are junk, but maybe they market better than their products are actually worth. Anyhow, I came onto this forum and I wouldn't say it was hate by members here. Rather people talked about their experiences with Teraflex products. I think the last thing anyone wants is for people to is make the same mistakes we have made. Most of the Teraflex comments I have heard here, is that there is something better out there, do your research but it is your money at the end of the day. When I heard about Evo through this forum, I didn't go run out and buy their products. Mainly because I am overseas in Japan and my Jeep is waiting for my return. Instead I priced it out and did more research and it seems to be the option I am going to take. I use this forum as a place of research, to learn from people that have already went down a path I am going to take and help where I can. One thing that I don't think gets enough attention is the "made in America" way of thinking. It's not only to support our country, but also because we go to China or other countries for cheap labor. Cheap labor=cheap craftsmanship. You get what you paid for, and yes it might be a little more at first, but it will pay off in the long run. My opinion.

Bingo.....

Top Bottom