Towing camping trailers

Ddays

Hooked
We're looking at these too. Wife found these: http://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/products/light-weight
We're looking at the Vista Cruiser 19CSK model. Its a little pricey though. We've seen some others I can't recall
the name of. I told her we had to stick to 3000# so we had room for all of the shit we'll have to bring along. :rolleyes2:

Looks like the 2dr tow ratings are the same as 4dr: http://www.jeep.com/en/jeep-capabilities/towing/#Wrangler4Tab*

Edit: somethings up with that chart. The 2014 2dr max is 2000# but the 2017 2dr is 3500#? :thinking:

Last edited:

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
What model jeep do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

It's the wheelbase that limits your towing, which is why 2000 pounds is the max for a 2dr. I'd look into pop ups or a small a-frame.

We're looking at these too. Wife found these: http://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/products/light-weight
We're looking at the Vista Cruiser 19CSK model. Its a little pricey though. We've seen some others I can't recall
the name of. I told her we had to stick to 3000# so we had room for all of the shit we'll have to bring along. :rolleyes2:

Looks like the 2dr tow ratings are the same as 4dr: http://www.jeep.com/en/jeep-capabilities/towing/#Wrangler4Tab*

Thanks guys. I found this chart earlier but agree to go lighter bc it being loaded down and my 35s and all

IMG_1487795318.469584.jpg

I would really like the featherlight 19' trailers they make but i think 3k unloaded is just a smidge to heavy for me. Going to maybe look into like a 17' or 15' with electric brakes. I think i would be okay with that. Thoughts?

zimm

Caught the Bug
View attachment 245418 In 2016 they upped the 2dr 3.73 and 4.10 models to 3,500 pounds, but there's a 25 square foot frontal area limitation too. 4 Doors limited to 32sq/ft.

Last edited:

black pearl

Hooked
Thanks guys. I found this chart earlier but agree to go lighter bc it being loaded down and my 35s and all

View attachment 245417

I would really like the featherlight 19' trailers they make but i think 3k unloaded is just a smidge to heavy for me. Going to maybe look into like a 17' or 15' with electric brakes. I think i would be okay with that. Thoughts?

Electric breaks and weight distribution kits help but still wouldn't push the weight limit to much can also get away with a little more if you were to have a manual... but those limits are there for a reason also you should run synthetic gear oil in the rear when towing a lot

Ddays

Hooked
It also depends on how fast you are going to try to tow it. It's not so much as to whether or not it will move it, but more about stability & stopping it.

Exactly. That article explains the dynamics involved pretty well. Speed is a huge factor and one of the biggest reasons why ratings are different between USA & Europe.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Exactly. That article explains the dynamics involved pretty well. Speed is a huge factor and one of the biggest reasons why ratings are different between USA & Europe.

Right. If you want to tow at 75 or 80 mph, there is no substitute for a fifth wheel & HD pickup.

gt88norm

We tow a '2016 Econ RDS 15' with a 2012 JKUR. 3.73 gears, auto, and actual 32.25" tall tires. We use a load equalizing hitch and have electric brakes.
I keep speeds between 50 & 55, our fuel mileage hovers between 13.5 & 14.5 mpg. I use the towing tuning profile in the SuperChips device.
This is mostly interstate 5 Pacific Nortwest towing. I notice a little "tail waggin' the dog" when semis pass but no white knuckle moments.
Our load equalizing hitch is the system where the trunion rods ride on little rollers and work to counter side-sway, I may add a friction device if my wife feels unnerved by the li'l weave, so far we're good w/it.
A 15 gallon grey water tank is major suckage, go bigger if you get an option.

ETA : I ordered my Jeep w/the factory tow package which includes the heavier duty transmission cooler. If you decide to tow at a weight level near capacity I would recommend adding a transmission cooler to the package.
The one built into the radiator is just adequate for light duty, an add on or the factory tow package should be strongly considered for freeway towing of anything greater than 1/2 rated limit.

Last edited:

raiderz628

Here is min with the 3.8 liter. I have towed it all the way from Rome NY to New Mexico to California back to Texas and then back to New Mexico. It was a long summer. Like stated before the mountains between Arizona and San Diego was slow going but other then that I cruised at 60 - 65. The trailer is at 3200 pounds. My weight limit is 3500 I believe.

That is a great looking trailer.
Thanks

This is a 1969 Aloha.......weighs in at 3000lbs dry..........not sure of loaded weight?? Depends on how much my wife packs:mad:

IMG_1398.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1398.jpg
    IMG_1398.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 134

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
IMG_2277.jpg

Here’s mine. Coachmen Apex Nano 191RBS. It weighs 3,446 dry. The Grand Cherokee handled it fine, and actually got better mileage than my Dad’s 6.0 L Chevy. I bought the trailer to tow with my Wrangler, and it will do it, even though it’s pushing the limits.

Top Bottom