Coilovers - worth the hype?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Can anyone confirm the coil spring kit having 14" of travel in comparrison to 12" travel w/coilover. Another kit I'm eye'n is the metalcloak game changer, it's capable of 14" of travel, and sub $4k with their shocks which seem to have great reviews. That being said, it seems EVO is an awesome brand, and great people - their videos are really what has pushed me over the edge to dump some other toys and get into a JKU

And exactly who are all the "great reviews" you've seen coming from? You'll rarely ever hear a guy talking smack about something he just spent thousands of dollars on.

If you are referring to the 6 pack shocks my buddy broke 3 of them in one year

Yup. That's what I've seen and yet, the fanboys out there will still give it "great reviews" :crazyeyes:

Those things are a marketing joke.

I still will never forget how funny it was to see the one guy on the JKX with the Metal Cloak kit with 6-Pack shocks trying to keep up with the coil over guys on the dunes. He literally had his ass handed to him and to the point where his tire carrier broke :crazyeyes:

Benito

Caught the Bug
Can anyone confirm the coil spring kit having 14" of travel in comparrison to 12" travel w/coilover. Another kit I'm eye'n is the metalcloak game changer, it's capable of 14" of travel, and sub $4k with their shocks which seem to have great reviews. That being said, it seems EVO is an awesome brand, and great people - their videos are really what has pushed me over the edge to dump some other toys and get into a JKU

I have seen the amount of flex the game changer with 6packs has as well as the game changer with metal cloaks "long travel" shocks... I have more flex with 3" evo enforcer kit with fox 2.0 IFP performance shocks. metal cloak is not that impressive as far as flex goes.

Jackal01

Reading the fine print, the evo coilover setup states the adjustable arms in front are required, so the enforcer pro would be the best/only way to go. On another note, reading through details of both kits it shows coilover setup able to achieve 12" wheel travel, while the coil spring kit shows 14" of wheel travel, but it's $4650 with similar equipped shocks (king 2.0)

Are you referring to the Enforcer (3 or 4 inch) being $4650 equipped with 2.0 Kings?

randomhero199

And exactly who are all the "great reviews" you've seen coming from? You'll rarely ever hear a guy talking smack about something he just spent thousands of dollars on.

Yup. That's what I've seen and yet, the fanboys out there will still give it "great reviews" :crazyeyes:

I still will never forget how funny it was to see the one guy on the JKX with the Metal Cloak kit with 6-Pack shocks trying to keep up with the coil over guys on the dunes. He literally had his ass handed to him and to the point where his tire carrier broke :crazyeyes:

This is all great info! I'll make a note and steer clear of their 6-pack shocks! I have read quite a few positive reviews, but let's be real - most are likely from people who've just installed the kit, or the most off-roading their jeeps is speed-bumps at the mall. I'm a fan of fox stuff, I'm currently running a set of prototype coilovers on my race car, and the quality is above moton (6x the price). I've had good luck with them on multiple vehicles, I also have kings on my Carli equipped dodge, no complaints either. I'd like to stick with a reputable shock, although I have read multiple threads here where people recommend the Rancho 9000 for bang vs. buck

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I love coilovers but I would be the first to say, they're not for everyone. If I lived in the rust belt, I wouldn't run them.

Seahawkfan

Hooked
2.0s. And after this Moab run, worth every penny.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler
Thanks, Looks like you had a great time.:rock:
Yes they are worth every penny.

Sent from my SM-G986U using WAYALIFE mobile app
Great to hear. Thanks Been putting this off for way to long.:thumb:
I love coilovers but I would be the first to say, they're not for everyone. If I lived in the rust belt, I wouldn't run them.
No worries there. Sun, Sand and Rocks down here in the IE. As you already know :thumb: Time to stop talking about it and finally do it.
The reason I am asking is because looking at the Accutune weld-on kit you have options for 2.0 and 2.5. Any thoughts on the subject? Thanks

wjtstudios

Hooked
The reason I am asking is because looking at the Accutune weld-on kit you have options for 2.0 and 2.5. Any thoughts on the subject? Thanks

My understanding of the difference is the 2.5” better at heat dissipation than the 2.0” when running at speed.

I had been talking with accutune about a 14” setup before getting the Bolt in kit due to timing.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Seahawkfan

Hooked
My understanding of the difference is the 2.5” better at heat dissipation than the 2.0” when running at speed.

I had been talking with accutune about a 14” setup before getting the Bolt in kit due to timing.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

After talking with them and you had more time would you have gone a different route?

Ddays

Hooked
If you go 2.5" you have to outboard the CO'S in the rear so you have to cut into the tub. Not a big deal for some but could be for others

wjtstudios

Hooked
After talking with them and you had more time would you have gone a different route?

That’s a really good question, after Moab I’m not sure where I’m going to go. The biggest consideration for me now will be flex. What ever I do, I hope to go to a 14” travel system like the DTD or accutune’s 14” setup. I rubbed, but not damaged both my rear coils on Pritchett and I am sure that won’t be the last time with them hanging out back there. The DTDs design where the COs are shoved up under the body is getting more appealing verses the Accutune’s longer COs angled back further we which will be more exposed.

So I’m not sure where I’m going to go after this. But I will say that EVOs bolt on kit is an extremely solid option for how hard Jeff, merica and I pushed them. EVO did a hell of a job building a kit that you can bolt on.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If all you ever do is rock crawl, there really is no need for 2.5. Also, just because you run a longer coil over like a 14” doesn’t mean you’ll be able to use all of it. Length isn’t everything and some kits like the one Rebel makes will only give you something like 9” of vertical travel. Likewise, the EVO lever uses an 8” coil over and you get 14” of travel because of how it’s designed. Also, even if you could get the full travel of a 14” coil over, you would have other things that would prevent it such as driveline bind.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

wjtstudios

Hooked
If all you ever do is rock crawl, there really is no need for 2.5. Also, just because you run a longer coil over like a 14” doesn’t mean you’ll be able to use all of it. Length isn’t everything and some kits like the one Rebel makes will only give you something like 9” of vertical travel. Likewise, the EVO lever uses an 8” coil over and you get 14” of travel because of how it’s designed. Also, even if you could get the full travel of a 14” coil over, you would have other things that would prevent it such as driveline bind.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

All very good points. After seeing Bhaner’s DTD preform flawlessly, that system is looking better and better for me.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Top Bottom