Rear Brake Wear

JoeB-JKURX

Just had gears installed and installer tells me that my rear brake pads are almost worn out. I've only got 40K on the Jeep and the fronts are in good shape. From my previous experience with brakes, it is usually the fronts that give up (replaced at least once before the rears needed attention). Is there a reason (braking system) for the rears to go early on the JK?

ammojustin

That is strange! Do you feel the brakes dragging you to a stop or more of a nose dive? Might need to bleed the brake and get the air out of the front lines.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

ThatJeepGuy

Definitely normal on a JK to burn through the rear brakes faster than the front for a few reasons

More rear brake bias to help prevent nose dive

the ESP, traction control utilizes the rear brakes more frequently than the front

Smaller pad with a non venting rotor in the rear puts more heat into the rear brakes than the front also

I think that’s the list of reasons. But I might be missing one

zimm

Caught the Bug
40k? I've been through 3 sets of rear pads in 43k miles. They wear twice as fast as the fronts due to the electronic limited slip feature that hits the brake on the wheel with little traction to force the other tire to spin.

Gbint

It’s got everything to do with traction and skid control. Your Jeep uses rear brakes to stabilize vehicle and to slow down a spinning rear wheel in the rain you may not even notice.

black pearl

Hooked
From my understanding under normal breaking conditions, it mainly uses the rears. Under fast breaking or "panic stops" it uses the fronts. Then also like said it uses the rears for stability control. I changed my rears at 36k haven't done fronts yet.

jkbarnett

Very normal for a JK to wear The rears out sooner than the front pads. It’s the way the brakes are proportioned. On my second set of rears with the fronts still good

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
From my understanding under normal breaking conditions, it mainly uses the rears. Under fast breaking or "panic stops" it uses the fronts. Then also like said it uses the rears for stability control. I changed my rears at 36k haven't done fronts yet.

This makes sense as to why I’m on my third pair of rear brake pads at 80K and the fronts look nearly brand new still.

Gbint

In addition, I notice that on very tight parking lot turns I can feel the rear brakes trying to compensate for outer wheel turning faster than inboard at times.

Top Bottom