What's your view like at work?

wjtstudios

Hooked
Lookin good... But I’ll never understand why people like Trusses.... you can gain so much storage (if ceiling joists) with a traditional framed roof. Or room for a car lift in a garage.

Traditionally, I try to design most of my projects with conventional 2x rafters. But span length and snow loads make trusses necessary for certain applications. Also easy of construction for larger single story homes with flat or trayed ceilings. The truss companies can ship an entire roof structure regardless of how crazy I create it and the framers just swing the trusses up. I agree, I always prefer designing more opened vaulted structures, but every client has their own preference and style. And sometimes trusses are better for situations like that.

For that garage, attic trusses are the only way to go. They can span the 24’ and give you a good size storage room above.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked
For that garage, attic trusses are the only way to go. They can span the 24’ and give you a good size storage room above.

That garage looks 30’ Deep.. so its a 16’ span at 6/12 ... A 2x8 could span that no problem.... a 2x12 @ 16” could easily take loads.... or if needed, DBL 2x12@ 12” o.c. If Vaulted, you could easily get a Glulam to span 26’+ or set a support beam and split the Ridge.

Trusses definitely aren’t the ONLY way to go.

wjtstudios

Hooked
That garage looks 30’ Deep.. so its a 16’ span at 6/12 ... A 2x8 could span that no problem.... a 2x12 @ 16” could easily take loads.... or if needed, DBL 2x12@ 12” o.c. If Vaulted, you could easily get a Glulam to span 26’+ or set a support beam and split the Ridge.

Trusses definitely aren’t the ONLY way to go.

But then there’s snow in Montana and Michigan at 30-70 PSF. Vaulted I completely agree it can be done with a structural ridge and 2x12s. But to get attic storage, it’s hard to be the trusses.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom