What do you love about your garage?

GraniteCrystal

Wife and I starting to look at houses. Garage is a big part of it for me.

Heated?
Extra bay for tools?
Garage door on each side to pull thru?
Finished, unfinished?
Extra tall ceilings?
Lighting options?
Facing south for sun?
Special flooring?
Hydraulic, in-floor jack?

What do you hate about your garage?

Pics encouraged as always!

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I have a little one car, attached garage on my house. Nothing special.... but for the most part, I love it. Sure, I would love a huge shop with all the tools I could imagine, big lift, etc. But that'll come in time. I do like that it's built into the ground so it stays cool down there in the summer :) While it's not "heated", the heat radiates through the wall to my basement (I have an older house) and it stays about 40-50 degrees at the coldest in the winter.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Mostly nothing since I don't get to use it, one side has the wife's jeep and the other side as the daughters mustang which she doesn't have room for at her house.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked

Heated? Absoultely!
Extra bay for tools? Mine are at the front wall - see below about what I hate about my garage.
Garage door on each side to pull thru? Eh, that luxury item for me
Finished, unfinished? finished - can't hang girly posters on unfinished walls as easily. Plus you can insulate the walls if you finish them
Extra tall ceilings? YES. That way you can install a hoist.
Lighting options? I use 4' LED Shop lights from Costco. Screw fluorescent lights - these are the bomb.
Facing south for sun? never paid attention when I built it but mine faces West. Lucked out because I don't get weather blowing directly at the doors that way
Special flooring? concrete.
Hydraulic, in-floor jack? Nah, see above - extra tall ceilings

What do you love about your garage? Its separate from the house. Plus it's all mine
What do you hate about your garage? Wish it was bigger. I built it 24 x 36. Wish it was at least 24 x 40 - need just a little more room for tools.

Filled in above

tdougherty81

Heated?
Extra bay for tools?
Garage door on each side to pull thru?
Finished, unfinished?
Extra tall ceilings?
Lighting options?
Facing south for sun?
Special flooring?
Hydraulic, in-floor jack?

What do you hate about your garage?

The wife and I are house hunting as well. Told her all I care about is a 3 car garage or shop. Everything else she can pick out.

dillard09

My garage is pretty big for my area. It is a normal width 2 car garage but on side is like tandem deep. So I can park 3 cars in it if I want. Normally its the wifes car, and my JK, then the front is for my "stuff". When moving there that was my only requirement, be able to have a little work area and can fit my jeep in the garage. So it worked out!

GraniteCrystal

My wife and I are going to build in the next year or so. We are going to build a detached garage with a mother-in-law's suite that she will use as her salon. My only requirement is a 3 wide bay garage with a lift and a workshop area for my tools and reloading. Only the workshop would be climate controlled. It doesn't get that cold here very often or for very log and cooling it would be ridiculously expensive. I think the Wide bays is really important

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
When I get a garage again, I will be happy. We live in an apartment but are looking at houses. Was supposed to be temporary for one year but turned into four. Fortunately, the complex never said a word when I installed the lift kit or any of the other parts. They're pretty lax about that stuff so far. Still, A garage would be fantastic and my Jeep fits by like 2 inches with the top on (fastbacks are lower) in a standard 7 foot door. The best part is always personalizing your space.

Dprochef

Image1490404225.812588.jpg Image1490404247.472050.jpg Image1490404274.498586.jpg Image1490404293.185170.jpg Image1490404319.549440.jpg
IMG_0005.JPG

Love my garage, just did a small addition on to it that is my workshop.

Of course I would like a higher ceiling to store my top, but am pretty happy with the set up. Fits all my Jeep, camping, and canoeing gear

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

Top Bottom