VIDEO : JL JOURNAL - EVO Tire Carrier Installation

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Anything other than the tape to help keep things aligned or is there really no way around making the adjustments.

Glad you posted this up. It’s on the short list of mods. BTW, 40s........you suck. Can you just keep one Jeep at a normal build please. [emoji6][emoji23][emoji23] First you went all DTD and 40s withrubicat and now you’re already talking 40s with jet. [emoji35]

LOL - The tape helped a lot and as you can see in the video, I used a pry bar with blue tape wrapped around it to help lift the tailgate while tightening the bolts. This seemed to do the trick well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
[emoji106] informative and entertaining. With 40’s on the horizon I look forward to the next upgrade install video(s)

Great and informative video! Looks to be a very well put together product!! I’m excited to see those 40s [emoji6]

LOL!! While I would love to run 40's in the near future, I don't think that'll be happening especially being that we'll be getting a Gladiator. IF we're lucky, maybe before the year is up.

Brute

Hooked
Another well done how-to video. Interesting that Jeep went with adhesive tape to seal the access panels to the hinge bolts...lighter and cheaper, but not easier. Do they sell replacement tape patches (I imagine they do)...

Jsouder53

Hooked
Awesome instructional video! I wish I went this route at times instead of the bulky and heavy bumper mounted carrier...

LARSONEM

Looks really nice. I was suprised that you did not have any torque specs for the bolts on the outside of the tailgate. I changed my JK hinges to a Teraflex Reinforced and Adjustable Hinged Carrier to accommodate 315/70-17 tires. Made a heck of a difference in stiffness of the gate plus I couldn’t get a tire that size mounted without some type of modifications. When I did mine, I too was surprised as another poster commented, that there was no paint under the hinges. I cleaned my body/gate up good to eliminate the very minor rust that was there, then spread a good bead of Lexel caulk (more expensive than silicone but it also has many benefits over silicone) on both the tailgate and body areas to insure no moisture could penetrate it in the future.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Paging Dr Jim Mcgean... Cue the JL XD60 axles!!!

LOL!! If only it were that easy :cheesy:

Another well done how-to video. Interesting that Jeep went with adhesive tape to seal the access panels to the hinge bolts...lighter and cheaper, but not easier. Do they sell replacement tape patches (I imagine they do)...

I would imagine you could get replacements but I ended up reusing mine. Where the one tore, I just applied some duct tape to it. :crazyeyes:

Awesome instructional video! I wish I went this route at times instead of the bulky and heavy bumper mounted carrier...

Having run big heavy rear bumper tire carriers in the past, I have to say that this is a much better solution or at least, for me anyway. Most aftermarket bumper tire carriers can weigh about 170-200 lbs. For me, I'd rather carry that in gear.

Looks really nice. I was suprised that you did not have any torque specs for the bolts on the outside of the tailgate. I changed my JK hinges to a Teraflex Reinforced and Adjustable Hinged Carrier to accommodate 315/70-17 tires. Made a heck of a difference in stiffness of the gate plus I couldn’t get a tire that size mounted without some type of modifications. When I did mine, I too was surprised as another poster commented, that there was no paint under the hinges. I cleaned my body/gate up good to eliminate the very minor rust that was there, then spread a good bead of Lexel caulk (more expensive than silicone but it also has many benefits over silicone) on both the tailgate and body areas to insure no moisture could penetrate it in the future.

LOL!! These are tailgate bolts and good-n-tite is all they really need. I only give torque specs where it's critical or for components that really need it like suspension or driveline parts.

The skin on the JL tailgate is aluminum.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Most aftermarket bumper tire carriers can weigh about 170-200 lbs. For me, I'd rather carry that in gear.

I 100% agree... One day I’ll get around to replacing it. I love all the extras you can add to it, but it’s not worth it in the end...

LARSONEM

LOL!! These are tailgate bolts and good-n-tite is all they really need. I only give torque specs where it's critical or for components that really need it like suspension or driveline parts.

The skin on the JL tailgate is aluminum.

I only mentioned it because Teraflex had torque recommendations for the tailgate bolts for their carrier. You are usually very precise with those numbers. Just saying.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I only mentioned it because Teraflex had torque recommendations for the tailgate bolts for their carrier. You are usually very precise with those numbers. Just saying.

LOL!! It's a shame TeraFlex cares more about tailgate torque recommendations than the quality control of their products. Not sure how having a tight bolt would have prevented this.

attachment.php

Like I said, I am precise with things that actually matter. If a bolt on the tire carrier came loose, you'd most likely hear and or see it well before it became a problem. If a bolt came loose on your suspension or driveline, you could have a real problem on your hands. But of course, that's just me.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Eddie.... How did you end up getting a good ground at the CB wire? Did you grind a little paint off the bottom of the Evo's mounting hole? And similar to one of the bolts going into the tailgate? Or did you end up putting a grounding strap?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie.... How did you end up getting a good ground at the CB wire? Did you grind a little paint off the bottom of the Evo's mounting hole? And similar to one of the bolts going into the tailgate? Or did you end up putting a grounding strap?

Here's a write-up I did a while back. As you can see, I used a ground strap and attached it to the frame. On a JK, it'll be different of course but essentially, you can do something similar.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...te-CB-Radio-Antenna-Mount-amp-Wiring-WRITE-UP

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
How is everyone mounting their third brake light? It’s “required” here in pa. Gonna run without it for a bit but would like to hook it up somehow. I do 5 tire rotates so morning I’m front of spare isn’t an option due to frequency of rotates

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
How is everyone mounting their third brake light? It’s “required” here in pa. Gonna run without it for a bit but would like to hook it up somehow. I do 5 tire rotates so morning I’m front of spare isn’t an option due to frequency of rotates

CalSgt

Hooked

I saw someone used the evo bracket & mounted it behind the wheel to the carrier by drilling and tapping a hole... I cant remember who it was though. I haven't put mine back on since I lost the screws to the back up cam, those suckers are too small to be removing all the time.

ETA: I was assuming you had the JL, the JK stuff is different I'm sure... Nevermind

Top Bottom