Shift knob removal on a 13 jk

Parks34

I've been trying to get this of for days. I'm starting to get highly frustrated. Any tips on removing? I've followed directions from other threads but have gotten nowhere.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

I've been trying to get this of for days. I'm starting to get highly frustrated. Any tips on removing? I've followed directions from other threads but have gotten nowhere.

Just took mine off and it’s a pain. Twist them back and forth for a while then sit on the console with a foot on each floor board and pull, like you’ve never pulled, and they will pop off

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
Just took mine off and it’s a pain. Twist them back and forth for a while then sit on the console with a foot on each floor board and pull, like you’ve never pulled, and they will pop off

If you didn't plan on reusing them would it be possible to make a couple vertical relief cuts with a dremmel? Just to relieve some of the pressure holding them on. I haven't tried removing them, I'm just curious

JKbrick

If you didn't plan on reusing them would it be possible to make a couple vertical relief cuts with a dremmel? Just to relieve some of the pressure holding them on. I haven't tried removing them, I'm just curious

Sure would, I’ll cut mine in half so you can see the insides, as soon as I get them back

Sharkey

Word Ninja
If it’s the same as my ‘15 it is ridiculously easy compared to my ‘09. Just pop the compression fitting down (it’s on the bottom of the knob). The knob itself will then come off with a good tug. In my ‘09, removing the shifter was almost a guaranteed black eye.

To be clear, the bottom piece of the knob needs to be slid down the shaft before you try to pull the main part of the knob off of the shaft.

Last edited:

VMSHack

If it’s the same as my ‘15 it is ridiculously easy compared to my ‘09. Just pop the compression fitting down (it’s on the bottom of the knob). The knob itself will then come off with a good tug. In my ‘09, removing the shifter was almost a guaranteed black eye.

To be clear, the bottom piece of the knob needs to be slid down the shaft before you try to pull the main part of the knob off of the shaft.

Yea I just changed mine, just take a screw driver and pry down the bottom half, then wiggle the top part off. Took a little force but came off fairly easy...mine is a 2013 as well

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug

Yeah the black eye thing is no joke on the older models. I have had to pull mine a few times. I found if you put a wrench that just fits the shaft under it and give it a good upward smack with a dead blow it pops off pretty easy.

Parks34

This thing is being absolutely awful. I'm thinking about just gripping it with vice grips and yanking, but I'm honesty scared about damaging the shifter itself ( yanking and tugging on the tenant)

Parks34

How do you get the bottom cap off?

Top Bottom