New Pinion Bolt required?

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
New Pinion Nut required?

i am going to be replacing the front drive shaft on my 07 Sport Unlimited with a 1310. i previously did the same on my 09 however this was a Rubicon unlimited. when i replaced the yoke i needed a different size pinion nut because the stock nut wouldn't fit inside the 1310 yoke.

is this going to be the same for my D30 front axle? if so what size pinion nut do i need?

Last edited:

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Bolt? I'm assuming you mean nut? And yes, I would got to the dealer and get a new nut to be put on. You could use the old one, but I would strongly recommend not reusing the pinion nut as its kind of a one time use item.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
Bolt? I'm assuming you mean nut? And yes, I would got to the dealer and get a new nut to be put on. You could use the old one, but I would strongly recommend not reusing the pinion nut as its kind of a one time use item.

you are correct. i did mean nut.

but it shouldn't be a stock item would it? when i replaced the driveshaft on my Rubicon the pinion nut wouldn't fit inside the yoke to even thread onto the pinion. i didn't order the last one so i don't know what size was required.

If you are replacing the yoke, shouldnt the supplier your buying the yoke from be able to answer this? I would guess they should be able to get you the nut that would fit within the yoke properly.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug

but it shouldn't be a stock item would it? when i replaced the driveshaft on my Rubicon the pinion nut wouldn't fit inside the yoke to even thread onto the pinion. i didn't order the last one so i don't know what size was required.

The threads should be the same because the pinion is not being changed. Even if you put in a new ring and pinion, it will have the same thread. The only reason a nut will not fit inside is if the nut has a larger skirt or washer attached. Either or could be removed. Take a picture of the nut and new yoke if you can and I could further assist.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
If you are replacing the yoke, shouldnt the supplier your buying the yoke from be able to answer this? I would guess they should be able to get you the nut that would fit within the yoke properly.

that would be great but i got the drive shaft used from another form member who doesn't have the nut.

The threads should be the same because the pinion is not being changed. Even if you put in a new ring and pinion, it will have the same thread. The only reason a nut will not fit inside is if the nut has a larger skirt or washer attached. Either or could be removed. Take a picture of the nut and new yoke if you can and I could further assist.

correct. this is a better explanation. its not the thread size but rather the skirt of the nut is too large to fit in the yoke. so it wouldn't even grab threats. trying to fit something into to small of a hole. hahah couldn't resist.
I have not yet removed the nut from the pinion yet so i don't have pictures. i just remember last time i did this upgrade i needed a new nut, but i didn't order it so i don't know what nut was bought. I would just hate to get to this point and find out i cant install the driveshaft.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
that would be great but i got the drive shaft used from another form member who doesn't have the nut.

correct. this is a better explanation. its not the thread size but rather the skirt of the nut is too large to fit in the yoke. so it wouldn't even grab threats. trying to fit something into to small of a hole. hahah couldn't resist.
I have not yet removed the nut from the pinion yet so i don't have pictures. i just remember last time i did this upgrade i needed a new nut, but i didn't order it so i don't know what nut was bought. I would just hate to get to this point and find out i cant install the driveshaft.

Then just get a new one from the dealer. It will fit the threads. Or contact the manufacturer of the driveshaft you bought.

JKbrick

I just put 1310s on my 09 rubicon and the factory nuts fit right in the yokes

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

That's interesting. My old jeep was an 09 Rubicon and needed a new pinion nut. Guess I will find out when I go to install the yoke.

I purchased both of my driveshafts used from different members here, one did not have yokes and I bought them locally. I should have the part numbers if you need to buy new yokes. I sent an extra one I had to someone but I can't remember who it was anymore. He was having vibration problems and it ended up not being the yoke and I told him to give it to someone else that may need it instead of spending money to ship it back

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom