1st trip to moab

Trailmunky67

I have a 2018 JLU Sport S
2.5" Lift, 35" tires, 4.88 gears & Lockers, High clearance bumpers front, and rear.
Onboard Air systems.

I am planning to make a trip to MOAB for the 1st time in July.
I have a number of years wheeling in the Colorado Mountains.

Where should I start my exploration and have fun, while figuring out MOAB?

Attachments

• IMG_0015.jpeg
    IMG_0015.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 5

CalSgt

Hooked
I recommend buying the book
Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails, 4 Edition (FunTreks Guidebooks) https://a.co/d/7S8UBdX

It has the trail head locations and fantastic notes on the trails.

A buddy of mine bought it before we went for our first time, I bought On-X off-road. The OnX was basically worthless in comparison. The book describes which ways are bypasses and even some step by step directions. I wouldn’t have thought step by step was necessary until hells revenge, there’s lots of spots where you are vertical enough that the trail in front of you is not visible.

We would sit around enjoying dinner and cocktails each night and pick the trails for the next by passing the book around.

if you do hells revenge you might as well do fins and things on the same day. Those two are in a paid day use area so get more bang for your buck.

My favorite day was poison spider/gold bar rim/ golden spike. It was about an 11 hour day of wheeling.

if you trailer there plan ahead for a spot to park the trailer, we got told on for parking ours within 30 minutes of arriving. We ended up using the RV park about 15 miles north of Moab, they were decent and decent priced.

Upvote 0

Trailmunky67

I recommend buying the book
Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails, 4 Edition (FunTreks Guidebooks) https://a.co/d/7S8UBdX

It has the trail head locations and fantastic notes on the trails.

A buddy of mine bought it before we went for our first time, I bought On-X off-road. The OnX was basically worthless in comparison. The book describes which ways are bypasses and even some step by step directions. I wouldn’t have thought step by step was necessary until hells revenge, there’s lots of spots where you are vertical enough that the trail in front of you is not visible.

We would sit around enjoying dinner and cocktails each night and pick the trails for the next by passing the book around.

if you do hells revenge you might as well do fins and things on the same day. Those two are in a paid day use area so get more bang for your buck.

My favorite day was poison spider/gold bar rim/ golden spike. It was about an 11 hour day of wheeling.

if you trailer there plan ahead for a spot to park the trailer, we got told on for parking ours within 30 minutes of arriving. We ended up using the RV park about 15 miles north of Moab, they were decent and decent priced.
Thanks for the great info!
I have bought the book to read before I go.
I haven't decided yet if we are going to camp or a hotel stay. But given the July temps, a hotel may be the way to go.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom