2nd OEM Rear Locker

rob_bunch

I have a question regarding aftermarket lockers for an 2018 JLU Rubi..
At 75k I had the first rear locker changed under warranty because the locker lights and trac light started flashing,,, well it happened again at 115k and so I bought the tazer bypass pigtail & problem was solved. A few weeks back, a noise started coming from the back and I tracked it to the hub bearings (so I thought),,, we got into it yesterday and bearings were worn but not destroyed. Put it all back together test drove and still had noise in the pumpkin. Cracked the rear case open to find the oem locker was toast and the wire was shredded.
My gears have some knifing so ill have to change them too. My question is who makes a good mechanical locker for the JL. I don’t want air and honestly if I can eliminate the electric locker type I would. This is my daily diver and need practical suggestions,, thanks in advance.

Most people go e-locker or air-locker because they're typically driving their rigs more on the pavement rather than off the road - whereas a mechanical locker will only essentially "unlock" if forced to do so - under load of a turn where one tire needs to spin faster than the other for example, rendering them generally unreliable and noisy when they disengage. What has you trying to avoid an air actuated solution?

rob_bunch

Most people go e-locker or air-locker because they're typically driving their rigs more on the pavement rather than off the road - whereas a mechanical locker will only essentially "unlock" if forced to do so - under load of a turn where one tire needs to spin faster than the other for example, rendering them generally unreliable and noisy when they disengage. What has you trying to avoid an air actuated solution?
Well for one the cost,,, if I go air route, it’s not just the locker but then an onboard compressor. I do t have 2grand just laying around at the moment. I need to get it back on the road as efficiently and cost effective as possible.

Well for one the cost,,, if I go air route, it’s not just the locker but then an onboard compressor. I do t have 2grand just laying around at the moment. I need to get it back on the road as efficiently and cost effective as possible.
Me neither, and I don't have lockers at all at the moment and it hasn't stopped me from doing anything yet. But when the time comes I'd rather do it once with a reliable option rather than a cost effective one.

4PLAY

The big problem with the factory e-locker is the locker sensor is prone to filling with oil (think tiny ferrous particles in gear oil from gear wear) and shorting out...For the longest time if it was under warranty Jeep would just replace the entire axle as you could not order just the sensor! In late spring/early summer of '22 Jeep announced a 'fix' where just the sensor could be replaced-with likely the same leak prone sensor. When I re-geared my rear axle I inspected the sensor and while still good it did show signs of seepage so I cleaned, drilled and potted it using a special dielectric compound. You can google 'Locker Sensor Position Potting Dana 44" and find step by step instructions for doing this.
I probably should have done this to the front sensor as well but I replaced the OEM axle with a Dana branded UD44 w/4.88's and Dana said if there was a problem they would send me a replacement sensor...

rob_bunch

The big problem with the factory e-locker is the locker sensor is prone to filling with oil (think tiny ferrous particles in gear oil from gear wear) and shorting out...For the longest time if it was under warranty Jeep would just replace the entire axle as you could not order just the sensor! In late spring/early summer of '22 Jeep announced a 'fix' where just the sensor could be replaced-with likely the same leak prone sensor. When I re-geared my rear axle I inspected the sensor and while still good it did show signs of seepage so I cleaned, drilled and potted it using a special dielectric compound. You can google 'Locker Sensor Position Potting Dana 44" and find step by step instructions for doing this.
I probably should have done this to the front sensor as well but I replaced the OEM axle with a Dana branded UD44 w/4.88's and Dana said if there was a problem they would send me a replacement sensor...
So that was why the factory locker was changed originally,,, now the plastic plate inside this thing is broken and I don’t want to go back with the same molar junk. I need a viable option to replace the locker. And are the rubicon factory axles 32 spline?

4PLAY

So that was why the factory locker was changed originally,,, now the plastic plate inside this thing is broken and I don’t want to go back with the same molar junk. I need a viable option to replace the locker. And are the rubicon factory axles 32 spline?

Yes, all JL Rubicon 44 axles, front or rear are 32 spline.

Top Bottom