artec super duty axle conversion kit

mastrcruse

Has anyone done this? How did it go?

Although, not a JK, a neighbor and I are working on putting a 60/14 combo in his TJ using an Artec kit. I will say that the kits quality and fitment really surprised me. We test fitted several times before final welding but very little adjustment was needed as we finished the build. One thing we did learn is to make sure to put some load on each end of the axle so when welding you reduce the risk of flex and if there is any flex, it'll be upward and the load will make it darn near perfect. I wouldn't hesitate to utilize an artec kit if I was looking to do a "junkyard" axle build.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone done this? How did it go?

You won't find too many people on here who like to throw money at their factory axles. Most of us save up and just play with what we've got until or unless one or both need to be replaced. If and when an axle needs to be replaced, most of us do it right the first time and do so by buying a ProRock axle.

Jeepnoub

You won't find too many people on here who like to throw money at their factory axles. Most of us save up and just play with what we've got until or unless one or both need to be replaced. If and when an axle needs to be replaced, most of us do it right the first time and do so by buying a ProRock axle.

Have you heard of issues with doing a artec 1 ton "swap" ? Aside from someone working beyond their skill level.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Have you heard of issues with doing a artec 1 ton "swap" ? Aside from someone working beyond their skill level.

There are a few people here and plenty on other forums who do junk yard axle swaps and they use the artic kit. To my very limited knowledge of the swaps it's the only kit I have seen

jkwebbie

Check out Grubbicons build thread, he's doing the swap right now. He's having a little trouble just because he's changing up his suspension. I'm starting the swap also. I'm ordering the swap kit tomorrow from Artec. Depending on the year of your Jeep, it might be a little harder of a swap because it takes a little more work for the 2012+ Jeeps because of the electronics...ask me how I know lol.

Moonraker

I was under the impression that the abs and the computer work closely together. How Do you get around that?

jkwebbie

Gotcha, can you use a Detroit locker?

You can in the front, not the rear. The traction control will put you in limp mode. You gotta run a selectable locker in the rear. I'm gonna run ARBs front and rear. Yukon makes an air locker too that you can run. If your Jeep is a 2007-2011 you can run a Detroit locker in the rear with no problems

jkwebbie

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?34293-Dana-44-Detroit-Locker

I bought this locker from jorgelrod
I put it in my 2008 rear d44 and it has worked flawlessly. I couldn't be happier.

It worked in yours because its a 2008. The 2012 and newer can't use a Detroit in the rear without messing with a shit ton of electronics. I've wheeled with 1 guy that has a 2012 with Detroit's front and rear but he said he had a hell of a time with the computer and wished he had went with a different locker because of the headache

Moonraker

That's great to know. So I should be able to do cromo shafts and a Detroit in my 08. Thanks for great info. Looking forward to hearing about your conversion.

jkwebbie

That's great to know. So I should be able to do cromo shafts and a Detroit in my 08. Thanks for great info. Looking forward to hearing about your conversion.

Personally I wouldn't go chromo shafts yet. The stock shafts are already 35 spline, so they are pretty beefy. I'm not upgrading to chromo shafts unless I brake one, which I don't see happening anytime soon lol

Robs_Red_JK

I have been looking into the Artec truss kits that they offer and they seem to be good quality. I bought there C gussets and LCA skids and they were great quality but i know those are not as complex to build as the trusses are.

geberhard

Douchebag
12495127_10154066374248011_8029095161079469447_n.jpg

I just bought a 60 (89 Ford) and 14 bolt rear Iwill be building. The plan is to build both for under $4k, locked and 5.38's with me doing the work. Of course Dynatrac would have been awesome but hoping to save the coin to throw on other parts on the Jeep instead (read: engine :).

So am picking up Artec trusses, will make the job much easier than single control arm mounts. Factor about a grand on both trusses and sensors, about $1500 in gears and misc rebuild parts (seasl, bearing, kingpins, brakes, etc).

Good luck!

Gui

Top Bottom