Axle Hub Nut - Service Manual Says to Discard and get new one.

1RNGR

Caught the Bug
My hub nut looks fine. Is there any reason to follow the service manual and replace with a $10 new hub nut? Are they somehow designed to be single use?

GP NOIR

Hooked
My hub nut looks fine. Is there any reason to follow the service manual and replace with a $10 new hub nut? Are they somehow designed to be single use?
It depends. Every time a stover nut is used, it reduces the run on torque, which is to say, each use reduces the thread locking of the nut. As long as the run on torque is good, it’s safe to reuse the nut. If the run on torque is too low, replace it. If you’re not certain, replace the nut. $10 is cheap insurance in this case.

PS- The repair manual is being conservative to cover their butt.

1RNGR

Caught the Bug
It depends. Every time a stover nut is used, it reduces the run on torque, which is to say, each use reduces the thread locking of the nut. As long as the run on torque is good, it’s safe to reuse the nut. If the run on torque is too low, replace it. If you’re not certain, replace the nut. $10 is cheap insurance in this case.

PS- The repair manual is being conservative to cover their butt.
I'm going to replace since they are cheap but keep the old ones in case there is a friend in need on trail. I will use blue thread lock and of course torque to spec, then mark with paint as I do all my bolts.

Top Bottom