Belt Tensioner Assembly

Anyone running an omix version of the belt tensioner assembly on their JK?

Mine is rattling like no other at 100K mi

Feeling cheap about this part, but my instinct says come up with the extra 60 bucks…

Mopar
IMG_2442.jpeg

Omix
IMG_2443.jpeg

The bottom end of my original tensioner blew out its bushing - eventually working the bolt out to have it snap under load when I started it one day. I replaced it with a Mopar one but damn it wasn't that much!

I would think the OMIX one wouldn't hurt, but also that the Mopar one still isn't too much more.

The bottom end of my original tensioner blew out its bushing

This is where I’m at as well.
That’s crazy yours failed so violently. Definitely don't want that..
IMG_2433.jpeg

damn, that's pricey now, $222 for mopar on amazon

Yea and the duralast auto parts store one is like 4 dollars cheaper…

I would think the OMIX one wouldn't hurt, but also that the Mopar one still isn't too much more.

Yea exactly. Not enough to really incentivize the omix…

I always go mopar with electronic shit and fluids…also felt the need to go mopar with mechanical components like thermostat, water pump,…but the tensioner is like a pulley and a spring lol…

This is where I’m at as well.
That’s crazy yours failed so violently. Definitely don't want that.
It wasn’t fun, I had to tap the end of the broken bolt and work it out of the block with the tiniest screwdriver… And then eventually realized the tensioner’s lower mounting plate could be removed 🤣

It wasn’t fun, I had to tap the end of the broken bolt and work it out of the block with the tiniest screwdriver… And then eventually realized the tensioner’s lower mounting plate could be removed 🤣

Haha, keeps you sharp working out of position though!

Hey was yours making a mean rattling sound before it grenaded? If i put pressure on the bracket while the engine is running, the noise goes away…

Haha, keeps you sharp working out of position though!

Hey was yours making a mean rattling sound before it grenaded? If i put pressure on the bracket while the engine is running, the noise goes away…
Not that I can remember. The plastic bushing for the lower bolt was toast and I think it was pulling up against the bolt rather than rattling around loose, if that makes sense.

Maybe it was and I couldn’t hear it over my idler pulleys that were busted at the same time though 😂

Swapped out the old.
Bushings definitely loose, worn.
Pulley is loose, noisy, doesn’t spin very long.

What surprised me most was how much more resistance the new spring has.

Was shocked at how worn the old spring was…

IMG_2471.jpeg

I waited too long to decide and ended out going omix because I didn’t want to wait for shipping on the mopar.

Omix seems sturdy enough. Would have liked to support a non-China country of origin, but I needed the part now, so…guess ya can’t win em all.

Glad the rattling is gone. Shit sounded close to the end of days…

jesse3638

Hooked
I waited too long to decide and ended out going omix because I didn’t want to wait for shipping on the mopar.

Omix seems sturdy enough. Would have liked to support a non-China country of origin, but I needed the part now, so…guess ya can’t win em all.

Glad the rattling is gone. Shit sounded close to the end of days…
How hard was the install? I'm in need of replacement of that or idler pullies or both but really haven't done too much investigating.

How hard was the install? I'm in need of replacement of that or idler pullies or both but really haven't done too much investigating.
It's not too bad, you can do it without removing and rerouting the whole belt too. Tensioner has a 1/2 inch inlet in the center so you push against the tension of the belt. I used a breaker bar for more leverage. And repeated after tightening the new one down.

Definitely go for it.
Tensioner is 2 bolts. All you have to remove is the air intake to get to it.

Then, idler pulleys are like 12 bucks at the auto store.

Can remember if you have to pull the alternator bracket to get to them.

IMG_1192.jpeg

Definitely go for it.

View attachment 404100
What he said. I didn't even remove the alternator for my idler pulleys but I guess it depends on how fat your fingers are... Lol

jesse3638

Hooked
Definitely go for it.

View attachment 404100
What he said. I didn't even remove the alternator for my idler pulleys but I guess it depends on how fat your fingers are... Lol
Thanks to you both. Probably need to set aside some time this week to look at it. I was thinking I may have to pull the grill and radiator to get in there. That pic helps a lot. Also I wear a size medium glove so I don't think fat fingers will be an issue...haha.

jeeeep

Hooked
Thanks to you both. Probably need to set aside some time this week to look at it. I was thinking I may have to pull the grill and radiator to get in there. That pic helps a lot. Also I wear a size medium glove so I don't think fat fingers will be an issue...haha.
remember to place the belt on the correct side of the tension idler before tightening it up, looks like enough room to squeeze the belt thru if you don't, but that's a big no.

Top Bottom