Beware!! - EVO Protek Skid Plates

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Out of curiosity does the transmission skid mount to the transmission some how or is it mounted to the frame? I would think the motor moving around on the the motor mounts would be hard on anything bolted to it.
There is bushings to allow for some movement on the trans skid. Honestly I’m not mad that it broke. I’m not really mad about anything. It was the way EVO handled the whole thing that is most disappointing. If you’re going to stand behind a product than stand behind it.

Also it’s funny this popped back up when the thread was dead. People just defending for the sake of defending.

TrailHunter

Hooked
There is bushings to allow for some movement on the trans skid. Honestly I’m not mad that it broke. I’m not really mad about anything. It was the way EVO handled the whole thing that is most disappointing. If you’re going to stand behind a product than stand behind it.

Also it’s funny this popped back up when the thread was dead. People just defending for the sake of defending.
I’m thinking (understandably) this is what you were hoping for:

“Sorry to hear, we’ll get a new one shipped out asap.”

TrailHunter

Hooked
Pretty much. Maybe a quick explanation of if it has been wheeled or when it broke or something so they could get some info. Maybe the part back so they could inspect. The normal stuff.
Not that it matters (and I like EVO shit).. but I did’t feel comfortable bolting directly to the block using the oil pan bolts. The RockHard kit has 2 supports that bolt to the Motor mount bracket, so the skids move (vibrate) independently from the engine. I just felt better about it. And when I was stock, I hit that fucker a lot. No issues.

JimLee

Hooked
f3M7E5De_400x400.jpeg

God forbid anyone try and actually figure out why these things failed lest you be labeled a "Fan Boy", I don't own a single thing EVO but I am in the market for a skid plate. Jesus Christ motherfuckers, no wonder this forum is always devoid of people...

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
View attachment 383765

God forbid anyone try and actually figure out why these things failed lest you be labeled a "Fan Boy", I don't own a single thing EVO but I am in the market for a skid plate. Jesus Christ motherfuckers, no wonder this forum is always devoid of people...
Sensitive much? You were not one of the ones I was labeling a fan boy but if you want to be more power to you. And why should we be trying to figure out what went wrong with it? I don’t design or build fucking parts and nobody here has seen this in person.

TrailHunter

Hooked
View attachment 383765

Well, he probably hasn't slept in a week... so that on top of his standard demeanor... what do you expect. Lol

JimLee

Hooked
Sensitive much? You were not one of the ones I was labeling a fan boy but if you want to be more power to you. And why should we be trying to figure out what went wrong with it? I don’t design or build fucking parts and nobody here has seen this in person.
You ever stop to think that someone looking for a particular part might want to know why other peoples are failing so as to make an informed buying decision? Is this a shit design? Will others that mount like this fail as well? For the guys that already own one maybe they are wondering if theirs are going to fail, maybe looking for some kind of indicator that will tell them before it turns into a wedge under their Jeep out on the trail. I don't know, maybe the whole point of a forum, sharing information with others to make their Jeep experience and mods a little easier and better informed. On second thought, you're right it's probably just me. Have a nice day Adam! 😘

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You ever stop to think that someone looking for a particular part might want to know why other peoples are failing so as to make an informed buying decision? Is this a shit design? Will others that mount like this fail as well? For the guys that already own one maybe they are wondering if theirs are going to fail, maybe looking for some kind of indicator that will tell them before it turns into a wedge under their Jeep out on the trail. I don't know, maybe the whole point of a forum, sharing information with others to make their Jeep experience and mods a little easier and better informed. On second thought, you're right it's probably just me. Have a nice day Adam! 😘
You’re the one throwing around the “this is why nobody likes this forum” bullshit. So yes, it clearly is you.

GP NOIR

Hooked
It's like rain on your wedding day
It's a free ride when you've already paid
It's the good advice that you just didn't take
And who would've thought? It figures

JeepFan

Hooked
The main take away for anyone reading this thread is that if you have one of these skids, you should check it for cracks.

Also, I installed the skid as per the instructions on EVOs web site.

I did not contact EVO.

I don't care about the metallurgy of this product. I just want stuff that works. This product failed for no fault of my own and it went in the trash.

Thank you Adam for posting this issue. It just might save someone from a major breakdown or worse!

The main take away for anyone reading this thread is that if you have one of these skids, you should check it for cracks.

Also, I installed the skid as per the instructions on EVOs web site.

I did not contact EVO.

I don't care about the metallurgy of this product. I just want stuff that works. This product failed for no fault of my own and it went in the trash.

Thank you Adam for posting this issue. It just might save someone from a major breakdown or worse!

7C685D85-A305-40A2-948A-36BBCFB4601B.jpeg

Top Bottom