Coilover Spring rates

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
I have the EVO bolt on coilovers with a 200/250 spring combo at each corner. I end up getting about 2-1/2 inches of sag in the rear when loaded up with all my gear. I ordered new 300 coils to replace the 250 coils in the back. I am then going to move the 250 coils up front as they are dialed down on the adjuster 3-1/2 inches so my rig is level. I will end up with 250/250 front and 300/200 in the back. Anyone with coilovers see any issues with this plan?

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Well 250/250 in the front is what they come with out of the box, the rears going to ride stiffer unloaded and sit tall depending on the coil length. IMO

Have you tried adjusting the timing rings ?

Last edited:

rtguy1

I would look to the timing rings as well. Andrew at evo mfg may be able to help with recommendations too. Going to a taller coil is also an option.

DJCFHB

I was having the same issue I'm running 250/250 up front and 200/200 rear. I have a boat and trailer I pull. My solution use a high lift jack and jack up the rear and slap in my old 3" coils for extra support when trailer camping gear and what not or towing my boat. Takes all of 2 minutes to do. Also have 300 rate springs for the back just afraid ride will be too stiff for everyday driving so haven't put them on.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Well 250/250 in the front is what they come with out of the box, the rears going to ride stiffer unloaded and sit tall depending on the coil length. IMO

Have you tried adjusting the timing rings ?

Actually, what they came with was 200/250 at each corner. On some of the first bunch shipped they had the coils mixed up. So, 250/250 works good on your front end? How much do you have the adjuster dialed down on the front in order to match the back to stay level?

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
I would look to the timing rings as well. Andrew at evo mfg may be able to help with recommendations too. Going to a taller coil is also an option.

Yep, already adjusted those to what Andrew recommended which helped take out a lot of the original sag. Still have some sag, so now am going to a 300 coil in the back.

rtguy1

Yep, already adjusted those to what Andrew recommended which helped take out a lot of the original sag. Still have some sag, so now am going to a 300 coil in the back.

Gotcha. It may be a trial and error deal for you to get exactly what you want. Keep your eyes on the for sale forums. I have seen a ton of different coils going around from guys doing what you are doing trying to dial in for personal taste. They are basically new and swapped out. May save you a few bucks while getting your perfect combo.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Actually, what they came with was 200/250 at each corner. On some of the first bunch shipped they had the coils mixed up. So, 250/250 works good on your front end? How much do you have the adjuster dialed down on the front in order to match the back to stay level?
I understand the first couple sets were assembled in the wrong configuration, Luckily it's a simple swap of the coils back to front to have the correct set up

Yes, 250/250 works great. I have my coilovers adjusted for a low ride height. The rear timing rings are less than a 1/2 above the slider. So when it's loaded it contacts the slider immediately

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
I understand the first couple sets were assembled in the wrong configuration, Luckily it's a simple swap of the coils back to front to have the correct set up

Yes, 250/250 works great. I have my coilovers adjusted for a low ride height. The rear timing rings are less than a 1/2 above the slider. So when it's loaded it contacts the slider immediately

How far down do you have the adjusters dialed on the front and back? My fronts are at 3-1/2 inches of thread and the backs are not adjusted down at all. That leveled it out. I am hoping with moving the front to 250/250 that I won't have to dial the fronts down much at all.

Yep, I have my rear timing rings about 1/2" also to get the 2nd coil loaded quick also.

I am starting to wonder about the nitrogen charge in the backs as when loaded I hit my bumpstops on rough sections of highway!

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
You guys got any time saving tricks to switch the coils out? EVO said to leave them attached on top as that makes it easier to get the bottom spring keeper out.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
How far down do you have the adjusters dialed on the front and back? My fronts are at 3-1/2 inches of thread and the backs are not adjusted down at all. That leveled it out. I am hoping with moving the front to 250/250 that I won't have to dial the fronts down much at all.

Yep, I have my rear timing rings about 1/2" also to get the 2nd coil loaded quick also.

I am starting to wonder about the nitrogen charge in the backs as when loaded I hit my bumpstops on rough sections of highway!

The height will change when you get the coils swapped around. Check the psi in the shocks

What adjustment on my coilovers might not work right on yours. It depends on what gear/weight you are running.

Last edited:
Top Bottom