Did you get a loaner to drive when you had warranty work done?

wmeyer116

My Jeep is at the stealership for several reasons, namely the disconnected fuel line that I posted about Saturday, as well as the rear axle is leaking gear oil, and the transmission is making a rattling noise in almost every gear under certain speeds and loads. The Jeep has about 7200 miles on it. It has been there all of yesterday, and when I called to ask about it no one answered and no one called me back when I left a message, go figure. I was kind of surprised that I wasn't offered a loaner to drive while the warranty work was being done. Any similar experiences?

Crystaliner

Doesn't know shit about wheeling
In my case it really depends on your relationship w/the dealer. Ever time I take my ford in no matter how small of a issue I'm offered a free loaner. I do need to sign the rental agreement just incase but they never charge me.

With my JK jeep only offered once. Maybe it's a service writer thing. Did you ask????

wmeyer116

No I didn't ask, I figured they wouldn't so I had someone follow me there. Guess that was hoping for too much from Chrysler lol

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
When I had the clutch assembly replaced, the repair took 3 days, and the dealer offered me a loaner for the first day ONLY. I had to bring it back the next day after work and have someone pick me up from the dealership... I made a big deal about it because I thought it was unacceptable that my BRAND NEW jeep was in the shop that I bought from them and they couldn't give me a loaner car... pissed me off. :mad:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
My dealership has a relationship with a car rental place so the don't really give out loaners. If your repairs are covered under warranty they pay for the rental.

blackrubi14

I had my Jeep at the dealership when my oil filter housing adapter cracked, the Jeep had 1600 miles on it at the time. My Jeep had to be towed to the dealership due to the oil leak, so, I was not at the dealership when my Jeep arrived, this was on a Wednesday, the dealership calls me to get my info and then proceeds to tell me they are going to try to look at my Jeep the following Thursday, so, I ask when is a good time to swing by to pick up my rental/loaner car. The young lady informs me that they do not do rental cars, I ask to speak with her manager to which I was told the same thing. I explain to them that even tho I did not buy my Jeep from them, I did buy a product they sell and the reason why my Jeep was at their dealership is because of Jeep's warranty that states the vehicle will be towed to the nearest dealership of your current location, and that my Jeep is brand new, 1600 miles. No go, they did not care.

So, I call Chrysler and speak with them, they apologized and said they would take care of a rental/loaner for me. Chrysler also told me that it really is up to the dealerships as to whether or not they offer loaners , seeing that it was going to be basically a week before they were even going to get to my Jeep and the fact that it only had 1600 miles on it they would make sure I got a loaner. I get a call from the dealership where my Jeep was with info on my rental car that they are providing for me.

Now, I did not think I should be treated special just because my vehicle was broken, but when you drop that kind of coin on a vehicle and its in the shop with only 1600 miles on it, I do expect at the very least a loaner.

wmeyer116

I had my Jeep at the dealership when my oil filter housing adapter cracked, the Jeep had 1600 miles on it at the time. My Jeep had to be towed to the dealership due to the oil leak, so, I was not at the dealership when my Jeep arrived, this was on a Wednesday, the dealership calls me to get my info and then proceeds to tell me they are going to try to look at my Jeep the following Thursday, so, I ask when is a good time to swing by to pick up my rental/loaner car. The young lady informs me that they do not do rental cars, I ask to speak with her manager to which I was told the same thing. I explain to them that even tho I did not buy my Jeep from them, I did buy a product they sell and the reason why my Jeep was at their dealership is because of Jeep's warranty that states the vehicle will be towed to the nearest dealership of your current location, and that my Jeep is brand new, 1600 miles. No go, they did not care.

So, I call Chrysler and speak with them, they apologized and said they would take care of a rental/loaner for me. Chrysler also told me that it really is up to the dealerships as to whether or not they offer loaners , seeing that it was going to be basically a week before they were even going to get to my Jeep and the fact that it only had 1600 miles on it they would make sure I got a loaner. I get a call from the dealership where my Jeep was with info on my rental car that they are providing for me.

Now, I did not think I should be treated special just because my vehicle was broken, but when you drop that kind of coin on a vehicle and its in the shop with only 1600 miles on it, I do expect at the very least a loaner.

Wow. . . That is absurd. Granted, mine has a few more miles on it, but it's still a current year model. It's a shame that such a poorly run company owns such an iconic, desirable vehicle.

303jkpatriot

Like the others have said, it is really dealer dependent. Most of the ones around me in Colorado have relationships with rental car companies and some have them in them so thats what they try to get you to do. Since its under Powertrain warranty, I am not sure how it would work, but when I had my '11 JKU Sport in getting the Spider Gears replaced my extended factory Warranty covered the rental car. Might be worth a call to Chrysler as mentioned above to see if they can help!

It also depends on your warranty. The extended warranty I had on my 2500 from Chrysler said they had to give me a rental or loaner. Same thing on my dad's

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
It is very dependent on which dealership you work with. I was given this rental:

81rmOGQoDkL._SL1500_.jpg

This thing was really good in traffic too. Who would have thought?

MattMc

I had some work done on my Jeep within the first year. Nothing big. The first time I took the shuttle that they offered because I was off that day. The second time I had to work, so I told them I could not do the shuttle because I had to be at work. The shuttle timing is not predictable, and I'm a Paramedic, so I can't just be late to work. So, I asked for a loaner. They gave me a Renegade for a day. They seemed reluctant, I would guess because they want to save money and have people use the shuttle.

jeeeep

Hooked
I think it's dealer by dealer but seems with Chrysler you need to call customer service to get the level of service you now see at almost every other dealership.

When we drop the Toyota off for service they always ask us if we need a loaner car, it's a 2005 Sequoia! I think it's smart business since they are in the business of selling new cars and nothing like a free loaner to get you thinking about a new car - unless they give you something worse than what you drop off lol

With my Jeep the dealers nearest me I seem to always be making a call to Chrysler to get service issues resolved, but there is one dealership that's a 30 minute drive that seems to get the whole "service" thing and while it's not convenient, it's worth the drive when possible.

scull20

My dealership has a relationship with a car rental place so the don't really give out loaners. If your repairs are covered under warranty they pay for the rental.

x2 for the dealer I go to, only when absolutely necessary.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
A loaner isn't guaranteed or implied in the manufacturers warranty. Some dealers offer a rental, but unless you had an agreement or purchased a maintenance plan or extended warranty that has a rental agreement as part of it, plan on not getting a rental.

rogerk93

The dealership I take my Jeep too used to give loaners but they stopped and when I asked the manager they said they are not getting credited by Chrysler for the cost of giving the loaner so they are not going to give them out anymore to save money

danno16jk

My dealership set me up with enterprise. I've been in the rental for a week and a half while they wait for backordered parts to come in for my 16jku

Modit

Depending on when you bought your Jeep, you may be automatically enrolled in the Jeep Wave program with a 2 year membership.
My dealer told me about it when I bought mine, 4/1/16. Salesman said some dealers might not be telling people about it.
Anyway, it gets you 4 oil changes, $1000 worth of trip protection, a loaner for maintenance and some stuff that didn't really interest me.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Every single time I have had warranty work done, I have received a rental for free. The only stipulation was that it had to be a Chrysler product in order for them to cover it.

NV375

A loaner isn't guaranteed or implied in the manufacturers warranty. Some dealers offer a rental, but unless you had an agreement or purchased a maintenance plan or extended warranty that has a rental agreement as part of it, plan on not getting a rental.

^^This is similar to my experience.^^

I do not have an extended service plan and have received a rental four out of six trips for the same issue. The second time they made my wife sign a form stating we may not get one every time. This week I have a ford mustang convertible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom