Front axle/driveshaft noise

Bear_JT

Hooked
So we got our first substantial snow fall last night and I used 4hi to make it up some icy hills on the road. I noticed at about 35 mph while coasting, a vibration or very slight popping noise coming from the front driver side axle area, or possibly the front driveshaft area. The noise is not there when I accelerate but as soon as I coast it’s there. I haven’t been able to pin point it yet because of the snow and ice on everything. When I go back into 2hi everything works fine and no noise. Has anyone else with a Gladiator or JL that has the FAD noticed anything like this? Being that it’s happening in 4 hi while coasting it makes me think it’s just the FAD moving or something. I’ve never heard this before while in the dirt or rocks but I wasn’t coasting like this either.

Its a Jeep so completely normal ;)

It really could be anyone's guess at this point but I'd start with cleaning everything up and giving it a good visual inspection at the u-joints (axle shafts and driveshaft) and steering rod ends (tie rod and draglink) for any play which could cause a "popping" sound. Have someone jump in the Jeep as well and turn the steering wheel back and forth to help make any lose parts easily visible and also hopefully recreate the noise.

Bear_JT

Hooked
Very true! 😂
I went underneath it (dripping) always the best time to go under the Jeep. Everything looks good. I took it for a spin and in 4 low no noise, 4 hi slight noise but not as bad as before. I’m wondering if it might have been the drive shaft on a chunk of ice that had built up down there. I’m going to have to wait a while now the snow is falling again.

Top Bottom