Getting a new engine on my wife's Corolla courtesy of the dealership

jorgelrod

Hooked
Yesterday we went to the dealership to have my wife's 15 Corolla's Oil and filter change done. We left to eat and came back after they called to tell us the car was ready. I paid for the service, gave my wife the keys and she drove off the dealer lot. She got as far as the next light before the car turned off. I notice she stops and turns on the hazards so I stop and she tells me the car won't start. I pop the hood and go through the motions, the car wont turn over so check battery, check fuses, check starter, nothing. at this point I call roadside assistance. The tow truck took two hours to arrive so by the time the car went back to the dealership it was closed.

This morning the Service Manager calls me and starts apologizing profusely and I started worrying so I tell the guy, just tell me what is wrong with the car. That is when he says you're gonna need a new engine, my heart stopped for a second and then I went like wait what??? He then start explaining that the idiot tech who serviced the car somehow did not put a single drop of oil back in the engine after he drained it and changed the filter. Hence in about 2 miles my wife burned up and seized the engine. Silver lining is the car had 148K miles and will now get a new engine at $0 cost to me and a loaner while they fix their fuck up.

WJCO

Meme King
That sucks but you are very lucky they told you the truth. I've seen this happen countless times in shops and a lot of times they try to hide it.

jorgelrod

Hooked
That sucks but you are very lucky they told you the truth. I've seen this happen countless times in shops and a lot of times they try to hide it.
That was precisely what I told my wife, that service manager is really good, not many of them out there would own up to something like this. This is going to be at least $15K between the engine, labor and the loaner that he's gonna get hit with on his ledger.

kevman65

Hooked
Had that happen with the wife's Oldsmobile back in the early 90's.

She took it in for oil change and tire rotation. They took her to work in a courtesy vehicle. 5 hours later the Service Manager/General Manager call ME on a conference call. Explained that the tech buttoned it up, drove it outside, it seized up in the lot. Not a single drop of oil in it. 3 year old car. While I was still in shock and before I had time to get pissed, I was told I had the option of a brand new car off the lot, or a new engine. Since her model had been discontinued I told them new engine.

Neither of our vehicles have seen a dealership for oil changes since.

Jsouder53

Hooked
That is a bummer, but congrats on the new engine! I’m glad to hear there are still some honest people at the dealerships!

Top Bottom