Grabars issue. Noisy

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Installed grabars and they make a lot of noise especially when going over bumps.

Any one else have this issue?

I removed them and now the noise is gone.

sbasabe

I had a little bit of trouble with the installation of mine (holes not quite lining up) but don't hear any noise. During the install the bolts all became hard to turn but I just kept tightening until they literally would not turn anymore. Haven't had any noise issues.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. A lot of squeaking. It seems like the windshield etc

Yeah, that's what I thought. I don't have the grabars but I have seen and heard windshields do this. If you pull off all the plastic trim, you will see how the frame is made up of multiple stamped pieces of steel and slight movement in them WILL cause a harsh squeaking. I have this problem from time to time as I've hit my windshield frame on a tree and just had it bondo repaired and so now there's more room for movement. If I could guess, the bolt that secures the grabar to the windshield frame isn't going on tight enough to prevent movement. Spraying some WD-40 or the like can help mitigate the squeaking for awhile but it will eventually come back.

Labricon

Caught the Bug
With mine the driver side upper mounting bolt would not go all the way in to tighten against the spacer..so I trimmed a bit off and it tightened up nicely...no more noises......so far......they have only been in place since late November

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Yeah, that's what I thought. I don't have the grabars but I have seen and heard windshields do this. If you pull off all the plastic trim, you will see how the frame is made up of multiple stamped pieces of steel and slight movement in them WILL cause a harsh squeaking. I have this problem from time to time as I've hit my windshield frame on a tree and just had it bondo repaired and so now there's more room for movement. If I could guess, the bolt that secures the grabar to the windshield frame isn't going on tight enough to prevent movement. Spraying some WD-40 or the like can help mitigate the squeaking for awhile but it will eventually come back.

Thank you for the response. Great idea

2Cross

Caught the Bug
With mine the driver side upper mounting bolt would not go all the way in to tighten against the spacer..so I trimmed a bit off and it tightened up nicely...no more noises......so far......they have only been in place since late November

I'll try that if the WD-40 and tightening doesn't work

dillard09

Mine did the same thing on install. Drove me crazy! I just cranked them down until the wouldn't turn anymore. They were hard to tighten but eventually stopped and no more noise.
BTW my wife loves them!

sspradley

I just installed mine... four hours of my life, I'll never get back. Seems like the measurement and machining are a bit off. But let's face it, it's just hard to work with those angles in such a small area. What I finally figured out was the following: If you put the bottom screw through first - and go all the way in, the top screw goes in easier. Mine are in tight as heck - and it's nice to have them to get up into the 4" lift with 35's. As much as I cursed like I had turretts syndrome, I'm glad I have them in now.

JeepJeep75

Mine were a huge pain to install also. The holes seemed like they don't line up at all. It'll eventually go together though. No squeaking of any sort from mine on my '15. I've had them on almost two years now.

CasperJKU

I just installed mine... four hours of my life, I'll never get back. Seems like the measurement and machining are a bit off. But let's face it, it's just hard to work with those angles in such a small area. What I finally figured out was the following: If you put the bottom screw through first - and go all the way in, the top screw goes in easier. Mine are in tight as heck - and it's nice to have them to get up into the 4" lift with 35's. As much as I cursed like I had turretts syndrome, I'm glad I have them in now.

This! I installed a pair, and as others have said they were not the easiest to line up. I actually got both bolts started and then tightened them both up. You have to be careful with ensuring you get the left on the left side or they won't line up at all.

After some judicious cranking with the socket wrench they are tight as all get out. Haven't budged an iota in a month of daily driving and the wife is especially appreciative for the extra boost (and I don't complain when its needed ;) ).

GENREC

Have had 0 issues with mine font and rear. They do need to be cranked down tight. Then go back and do it again a few days later.

catahoula

Caught the Bug

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

I would like to get a set of these since the Rockhard Sport Cage is out of reach at the moment.

Ddays

Hooked
I cursed like I had turretts syndrome, I'm glad I have them in now.

:cheesy: This is standard protocol when I work on anything anymore the older I get it seems...I think cussing repeatedly releases a shitload of endorphins or something. :thinking:

Bsmith01

Have them on my rig. Like most people said have to tighten the shit out of them. First run the passenger side loosened up a bit. Re-tightened them up and no more nosie.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom