Help me.

So I put a pr60 front axle in about 3 weeks ago now. Put new front driveshaft in. When I put the Jeep in 4x4 you can feel and hear a clicking in the shifter knob from the transfer case. My transfer case was perfectly fine before. Do you guys think it's the driveshaft or is it the transfer case. Pls help.

Hey Ricky, on a hunch, lock it in and crawl underneath and see how much rotational play there is in the driveshaft and/or front diff.

Hey Ricky, on a hunch, lock it in and crawl underneath and see how much rotational play there is in the driveshaft and/or front diff.

It still does it when the front hubs are unlock also. When it's locked in you can rotate it about a 1/4 turn. Is that not normal.

It still does it when the front hubs are unlock also. When it's locked in you can rotate it about a 1/4 turn.

1/4 turn seems like a lot to me but I might be wrong. Try locking the t case in and trans in neutral and rotating the driveshaft by hand to pinpoint the noise.

U joints tight? Is there any chance at all that a cap came loose at some point and there's a needle bearing missing or in the bottom?

Pretty sure you can rule out the t case as you didn't do anything with it except change the flange, but make sure that flange is tight. No side to side play in the U joints?

Pretty sure you can rule out the t case as you didn't do anything with it except change the flange, but make sure that flange is tight. No side to side play in the U joints?

No it seems solid. Flange was put on with an air gun shouldn't be loose. Weird thing is it doesn't do it every time and really only in reverse.

David1tontj

Yes it did. When I pulled it out of the box it came apart. I made sure the u joints lined up again.

Ok- this might not be it, but might be contributing. Is it possibly 180 degrees off from where it was balanced? You always want to mark driveshafts before taking them apart- I know you had no control over it, but maybe it's off??
Just trying to throw ideas out there.

Ok- this might not be it, but might be contributing. Is it possibly 180 degrees off from where it was balanced? You always want to mark driveshafts before taking them apart- I know you had no control over it, but maybe it's off??
Just trying to throw ideas out there.

I'll try it when I get home tonight. It just seems like it's a bind though not out of balance

Top Bottom