HID headlights

jman_12

Been looking at Xenons HID conversion kit for headlights. Considering doing the 8000K, I like the icy blue color. Any thoughts or comparisons to led headlights?

Jackal01

Get Truck Lites. :yup:

Blue(ish) headlights=ricer. If you decide to stick with HIDs at least go with a whiter color...blue is just so blinding and distracting to other drivers.

thardy

Banned
Get Truck Lites. :yup:

Blue(ish) headlights=ricer. If you decide to stick with HIDs at least go with a whiter color...blue is just so blinding and distracting to other drivers.

I have to agree. I am not a big fan of the blue-ish headlight look. It's really annoying to us other drivers out there.

Not to mention the fact that the Truck Lites are a perfect fit for the Jeep and are an incredible, proven upgrade. :yup:

T&ERun

LOSER
X3 on the blue lights. Hate them. Truck-lite now has heated ones also. Maybe something to think about if you are around a lot of snow and ice.

DROBICON

I had 6000k and I thought it was to much blue. I went down to 5000k a lot better. A lot easier to see as well. Going to be going to Truck Lites since I've had nothing but problems with my HIDs...

Jackal01

If you like that blue hue from headlights, Truck Lites still look a little blue from head-on but the light they produce isn't very blue. Just like OEM HIDs on other vehicles (my wife's Mustang is this way).They light up the road so well yet don't blind other drivers, assuming they are aimed correctly. And the high beams turn night into day. So you might still be able to get the cool-factor of blue but with a better product.

I've got the Hi/Lo 6000K 35W kit from Onyx. Nothing but praise for it. $90 and it lights up everything and haven't had any flashes from incoming traffic in the 3000 miles I've done since installing. Bulk of them were driving at night from LA to Prescott, AZ. Didn't need to do any of the mods either for flickering or buzzing.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Unless you do a proper projector retrofit, don't go with HIDs. Sticking HIDs into OEM housings doesn't yield good results, I've tried. Either spend the coil on a proper conversion, or go with Trucklites.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Unless you do a proper projector retrofit, don't go with HIDs. Sticking HIDs into OEM housings doesn't yield good results, I've tried. Either spend the coil on a proper conversion, or go with Trucklites.

Totally agree. But if you're willing to retrofit high quality projectors, you will get a superior result to Trucklites. But then you may as well have gotten JW Speaker LED lights.

Can you define good results? I'm curious if you're talking in comparison to say HID from the factory on say an Audi, or maybe just light quality that you would expect from any headlight, regardless of light source.

Not intended to argue your point, just curious so I have some more info on how to judge my set up.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Can you define good results? I'm curious if you're talking in comparison to say HID from the factory on say an Audi, or maybe just light quality that you would expect from any headlight, regardless of light source.

Not intended to argue your point, just curious so I have some more info on how to judge my set up.

Exactly as you stated. OEM Audi/Acura/Lexus/BMW/etc quality.

9372461275_f939c65be5_b.jpg

OEM cutoff

35WDCoutput.jpg

7172400005_0107a95bf3_b.jpg

I've tried the HIDs in OEM housings, then HIDs in IPF housings, and all were a waste of money. Do it once, and do it right. The trucklites are the best bang for your buck improvement you are going to get. The JW speakers are the sexiest looking lights you are going to get. HID projectors are the best in terms of light output and coverage. There is a huge issue with the JWs that makes me stay away from them completely (a nearly 2 second delay when going from high beam to low beam) so that completely rules them out for me, especially for the amount of money they cost. Just my .02

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
There is a huge issue with the JWs that makes me stay away from them completely (a nearly 2 second delay when going from high beam to low beam) so that completely rules them out for me, especially for the amount of money they cost. Just my .02

Interesting - I don't have this issue at all.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I don't want to post links to other forums, but the issue was presented to JW, they are aware of it, and chose not to fix it as it is only a problem of CANBUS vehicles, meaning, the JK. The problem CAN be fixed by ordering a harness from that dude that builds harnesses for JKs, but that's an additional $125 on top of the cost of the headlights, which is a pretty penny. THe delay reported was 2.5 seconds, which doesn't sound like a lot but it's actually an eternity.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Me either, bought mine last year and using the Trucklight antiFlicker harness with no issues or delay.

What year is your JK and which version of the lights do you have? I know the 2012+ with the second gen 8700s (the new ones) have this issue, and I've read the official response by JW on it, so it definitely is an issue.

SaddleTramp

What year is your JK and which version of the lights do you have? I know the 2012+ with the second gen 8700s (the new ones) have this issue, and I've read the official response by JW on it, so it definitely is an issue.

2014, 8700, not the new ones just released, no delay low to high with this setup, haven't heard anything about the Gen 2?

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421890662.642599.jpg

Top Bottom