JT Ball Joints and Knuckle Questions

kevman65

Hooked
I have read and watched videos about inferior ball joints with plastic internals (JK or JL don't remember now) from the factory.

Now I don't know if this was fixed before the JT came out or not. I would like to see if anyone knows if the JT ball joints are the better all steel or still the plastic internals.

What brought this consideration on is the fact that I'd like to get a hold of a set of the Mojave cast iron knuckles for added strength and I could kill two birds with one stone.

So, anyone know what's on the JT?

Thanks (y)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, that's a really good question and unfortunately, one that I'm not 100% sure off the answer. What I can tell you is that Spicer does make a Performance ball joint for the JL/JT and it is all metal on metal. What I don't know is if that's what's included on the Mojave iron knuckles. I'll try to ask around and see what I find.

kevman65

Hooked
So, that's a really good question and unfortunately, one that I'm not 100% sure off the answer. What I can tell you is that Spicer does make a Performance ball joint for the JL/JT and it is all metal on metal. What I don't know is if that's what's included on the Mojave iron knuckles. I'll try to ask around and see what I find.
I have a Rubicon, with the aluminum knuckles. I was figuring IF I had the inferior ball joints, might as well put the cast iron knuckles on while doing the ball joints.

But I don't know if the cast iron knuckles are even available yet through the parts side of MOPAR.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a Rubicon, with the aluminum knuckles. I was figuring IF I had the inferior ball joints, might as well put the cast iron knuckles on while doing the ball joints.

But I don't know if the cast iron knuckles are even available yet through the parts side of MOPAR.
I don't know if I'd call them inferior. More like standard. The plastic components are a wearable part and for standard use, they'll last a long time. Where they don't hold up as well is when you start running wheels with a lot of back spacing and much bigger tires. That'll wear out any ball joint but the plastic components will go even faster.

With that said, I did some asking and so far, it looks like the Mojave "might" come with the performance ball joints BUT a JT with a diesel and iron knuckles will NOT. Either way, I should know more tomorrow.

kevman65

Hooked
I did find out the Mojave cast iron knuckles ARE available on MOPAR parts, $796.80 for the pair :ROFLMAO: that's more than I thought they'd be.

I call them inferior because a majority of JEEP owners do put larger tires and wheels with different back spacing on even if they never intend to go offroad.

I know that cast aluminum has more flexibility and memory, but I prefer the cast iron for the higher ductile strength. Since one has to remove the ball joints to do the knuckle, might as well upgrade to a stronger, more durable ball joint.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I did find out the Mojave cast iron knuckles ARE available on MOPAR parts, $796.80 for the pair :ROFLMAO: that's more than I thought they'd be.

I call them inferior because a majority of JEEP owners do put larger tires and wheels with different back spacing on even if they never intend to go offroad.

I know that cast aluminum has more flexibility and memory, but I prefer the cast iron for the higher ductile strength. Since one has to remove the ball joints to do the knuckle, might as well upgrade to a stronger, more durable ball joint.
Yeah, that's pretty spendy for sure. 🤪

This is true but I've got over 50k miles on my 4-door JL and so far, they've been holding up surprisingly well. Of course, this is not to say that I haven't had JK ball joints blow just after 14k miles.

I've never been a fan of the aluminum knuckles and I'll most likely swap mine out for iron ones sooner than later and with Spicer performance ball joints or something like it.

Top Bottom