Morel Mushroom Finds? Or other edible fungi findd. (Keep it legal folks)

Primo82

Caught the Bug
I've been morel hunting since I could walk. Dad and grandad loved them, I like them but in moderation.

Boys and I found about 2 lbs Sun 25 April in about 2 hrs. Honestly boys found the bulk.

Daughter and I were walking through the woods and there was one calling my name tonight. Good year for them.

Attachments

• 20210425_181752.jpg
    20210425_181752.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210426_174300.jpg
    20210426_174300.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 13

Primo82

Caught the Bug
those are really edible? how do you prepare them?
You have to be VERY careful cause there are few edible mushrooms. And there are mimics, like 'fake morels'. So if you don't know what you are looking for find someone that does!

I know of morels and ''chicken of the woods" here that are edible. Don't know the second ones real name but believe that's the nick name.

I usually slit a morel in half, lightly flower, and fry in 50/50 butter olive oil. But I've sauted them with butter for steaks. Put on pizza. Mushroom pasta sauce. They're really good if you like mushrooms!

jeeeep

Hooked
You have to be VERY careful cause there are few edible mushrooms. And there are mimics, like 'fake morels'. So if you don't know what you are looking for find someone that does!

I know of morels and ''chicken of the woods" here that are edible. Don't know the second ones real name but believe that's the nick name.

I usually slit a morel in half, lightly flower, and fry in 50/50 butter olive oil. But I've sauted them with butter for steaks. Put on pizza. Mushroom pasta sauce. They're really good if you like mushrooms!
good to know (y)

Bullwinckle

Hooked
Always wanted to go Morel hunting but also too nervouse on getting the wrong one... think I’ll just stick to grocery store mushrooms lol they sound tasty though. 👍

jasont0311

Caught the Bug
Great thread to start! My wife lives for mushroom hunting. Once the weather is just a little better we plan on getting out to some of our favorite spots. Ill dig up some old photos.

Brute

Hooked
I love shrooms...wild, domestic, dried...but as Primo mentioned, go with someone who knows which are which, or you’ll end up like Clint Eastwood in The Beguiled...

Brute

Hooked
I forgot to mention my favorite fungi...truffles. The live subsurface, usually at the base of oak trees. We were fortunate to go truffle hunting when we were in Tuscany years ago...they used to use pigs, who have an excellent sense of smell, but usually don’t stop on just finding them...so they have trained dogs to do the same

Primo82

Caught the Bug
I forgot to mention my favorite fungi...truffles. The live subsurface, usually at the base of oak trees. We were fortunate to go truffle hunting when we were in Tuscany years ago...they used to use pigs, who have an excellent sense of smell, but usually don’t stop on just finding them...so they have trained dogs to do the same
I've never had a truffle but I hear they are delicious. Hadn't heard that about the pigs though! 🤣

And I've never seen The Beguiled before, going to have to check it out this weekend.

Brute

Hooked
I've never had a truffle but I hear they are delicious. Hadn't heard that about the pigs though! 🤣

And I've never seen The Beguiled before, going to have to check it out this weekend.
So, it would be perfect to eat fettuccine with a morel cream sauce with shaved truffles while watching The Beguiled...

jasont0311

Caught the Bug
Since it’s that time of year I thought I would revive this thread.

My son and I went out coyote hunting and during the midday lull he found a mushroom. I had a good idea it was a morel but sent a photo to the wife. Almost instantly got a phone call back telling me to keep looking because this is literally her passion. Here’s what we found. Anyone else have any luck this year? CFC51927-D133-4889-88DB-B492DDDC85EE.jpeg

Top Bottom