Mystery Leak on JL Wrangler with Manual Transmission

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, soon after we brought home PIPPI, our brand new 2021 Jeep JL Wrangler 2-door Sport, Cindy and I took a bunch of all around photos just like we always do. We do this just to have a record of what our Jeeps looked like bone stock and use them as a reference as we modify them. Well, when we got to the underside, I noticed a couple of drops of what looked like reddish fluid hanging below 2 bolts and right where the bell housing mates to the transmission. Of course, aside from there being a potential leak, it seemed odd to me that it'd look like ATF especially being that we have a manual transmission. This is what it looked like.

20210619195929-6ac5d1e5-me.jpg

After giving things a closer look, I couldn't find any signs of where the drops came from and being there weren't any drops on the cross member or the ground, I wrote it off as an assembly spill, wiped it up and called it a day.

Well, today I decided to give things a look again, just to make sure that no new drops were present. And unfortunately, there were.
20210619195443-64693407-me.jpg

If these drops were hanging at the point where the transmission mated to the transfer case, it would make a whole lot more sense to me but I have to admit, I'm at a total loss as to where this stuff is coming from. Brake fluid is clear, power steering fluid is clear and it doesn't look, smell or feel like coolant or washer fluid. Unless MTL is now red in color, I just don't know.

Anyway, a trip to the dealership is in order but I thought I would post this up just in case someone else with a manual out there has seen this and knows what it is.

CalSgt

Hooked
So, soon after we brought home PIPPI, our brand new 2021 Jeep JL Wrangler 2-door Sport, Cindy and I took a bunch of all around photos just like we always do. We do this just to have a record of what our Jeeps looked like bone stock and use them as a reference as we modify them. Well, when we got to the underside, I noticed a couple of drops of what looked like reddish fluid hanging below 2 bolts and right where the bell housing mates to the transmission. Of course, aside from there being a potential leak, it seemed odd to me that it'd look like ATF especially being that we have a manual transmission. This is what it looked like.

20210619195929-6ac5d1e5-me.jpg

After giving things a closer look, I couldn't find any signs of where the drops came from and being there weren't any drops on the cross member or the ground, I wrote it off as an assembly spill, wiped it up and called it a day.

Well, today I decided to give things a look again, just to make sure that no new drops were present. And unfortunately, there were.
20210619195443-64693407-me.jpg

If these drops were hanging at the point where the transmission mated to the transfer case, it would make a whole lot more sense to me but I have to admit, I'm at a total loss as to where this stuff is coming from. Brake fluid is clear, power steering fluid is clear and it doesn't look, smell or feel like coolant or washer fluid. Unless MTL is now red in color, I just don't know.

Anyway, a trip to the dealership is in order but I thought I would post this up just in case someone else with a manual out there has seen this and knows what it is.
Weird indeed... Curious to see what the dealer says

Robar

The Enforcer
Ugh! I hate things like this. Its always unknown how long it will take to get diagnosed, fixed, and back.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I thought the manual used ATF+4 in it, and it is red.
Well son of a gun, I think you're right. When it comes to manuals, I'm so old school that all I've ever used is Mopar Manual Transmission Fluid, MTL or the like and they've all been a kind of fine gear oil.

kevman65

Hooked
I have read so many things about the manual I can't remember what and where.

But I've seen gear oil mentioned and I've also seen ATF+4 mentioned.

I tried to retrace my steps but can't find the reference.

Also, in your picture, mating surface just below the two bolts, is that a wet sheen? Or just an odd play of light?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have read so many things about the manual I can't remember what and where.

But I've seen gear oil mentioned and I've also seen ATF+4 mentioned.

I tried to retrace my steps but can't find the reference.
After you mentioned it, I looked it up on my quick reference guide and it does say ATF+4

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Damn that sucks. Hope the dealer fixes it quick for you!
Damn that sucks. Hope the dealer fixes it quick for you!
Hopefully the dealer gets this fixed for you in a reasonable amount of time.
Hope it’s a quick fix… quality control sucks these days
Well, one can hope. I was really hoping to get out on some dirt but now I don't even want to drive her until she's been looked at.

Top Bottom