New tire time - Nitto input please

jeeeep

Hooked
Time for tires, was wanting to get a set of Nitto Ridge Grappler 37x12.50x17 but out of stock with no ETA available.

I am considering moving up to a 38, anyone that can provide input on the Ridge Grappler 38x12.50x17 on their JLU would be appreciated.

I watched the Jet video on 38's, Eddie, what gears was Jet running? if I heard correctly, stock gearing?

My JLU has 4.88's and don't feel it should make much of a difference in the overall performance. The tire/wheel combo would weight a little less than the Cooper/wheel combo so that's not a concern.

The other option would be the 37x12.50x17 Recon Grappler A/T. Don't know anything about them, anyone have experience with the Recon on the trails?

Thanks to Matt at Discount for checking inventory (y)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Time for tires, was wanting to get a set of Nitto Ridge Grappler 37x12.50x17 but out of stock with no ETA available.

I am considering moving up to a 38, anyone that can provide input on the Ridge Grappler 38x12.50x17 on their JLU would be appreciated.

I watched the Jet video on 38's, Eddie, what gears was Jet running? if I heard correctly, stock gearing?

My JLU has 4.88's and don't feel it should make much of a difference in the overall performance. The tire/wheel combo would weight a little less than the Cooper/wheel combo so that's not a concern.

The other option would be the 37x12.50x17 Recon Grappler A/T. Don't know anything about them, anyone have experience with the Recon on the trails?

Thanks to Matt at Discount for checking inventory (y)
We were running 5.13s and me personally, I thought it was a better fit than it was with 37's. I really liked them a lot in the 38's especially being they were load range C.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with the Recon Grapplers.

Spazbyt

Hooked
Discount tire got me a set of 37" Micky Thomson baja boss's in a few days. If they had made a 38" I probably would have gone that way too.

Edit: I just relized your looking at all Nitto options.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
We were running 5.13s and me personally, I thought it was a better fit than it was with 37's. I really liked them a lot in the 38's especially being they were load range C.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with the Recon Grapplers.

Glad you mentioned the load range, that's a good point for my use. (y)

JWasko

Caught the Bug
I went with Ridge Grapplers in 315/70/17. I’ve been happy them with them. They’ve worked well in the snow, rain, and rolling down the concrete jungle. Ride quality has been good, hard to get a good judge on that because I’m currently on a spacer lift which tends to ride more stiff than a traditional spring lift.

rubi_vette

Great timing.. I was looking at tires myself. Stuck between KO2s, Wildpeaks and the new Ridge Grapplers.. Whats the real difference? Price is about the same.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great timing.. I was looking at tires myself. Stuck between KO2s, Wildpeaks and the new Ridge Grapplers.. Whats the real difference? Price is about the same.
As far as tire wear goes, I've always found BFG's to last a long time. KO2s also offer a nice comfortable ride and provide pretty good traction. I've never run a set of Wildpeaks long enough to know how long they last but I didn't have any issue with them. Ridge Grapplers is what I'm running on our 2-door JL now and had run on our first JLUR and I liked them the most. Good tire that provides nice traction on and off road and even in the snow/ice and from what I have seen, hooks up well on the trail as well. They do seem to be wearing a little faster than the KO2 but then, that is to be expected with softer rubber compound. I should note that Nitto makes most of their tires in the USA and that's a big plus for me.

KO2s are nice. I had them on my trucks and two sets on my JL before going to the STT Pros. I like them but BFG really understate the size. The 37s measured around 35.5 which is just too small imo.

rubi_vette

I've used Wildpeaks on my truck before in the past, they're pretty good for snow performance, on road wasn't too loud, but the truck has better insulation in terms of sound over the Jeep.

Kenney

I just added Toyo 37s 12.5x17 RT these are a hybrid of Mud terrain on the outside and All terrain on the inside makes for a quieter ride.
I also had a problem finding 37,s. ORW had them pretty quick. 3K For 5.
Next is 4.88 RP but my 4.10 is okay but I know it hard on the trans. Still goes 80.

Attachments

• 20230207_105414.jpg
    20230207_105414.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20221225_112650.jpg
    20221225_112650.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230206_140605.jpg
    20230206_140605.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 12

Lperdue

Currently running 38 ridge grappler and like them with 5.13s honestly depending on your use I could go ridge or trail grappler. But the trail grappler is a 13.50 wide and weighs considerably more, if you mostly seeing the highway I would opt for the ridge grappler. Plus the ridge grappler may have longer tread life. Also depending on your offset they may rub more.

jeeeep

Hooked
sadly these will see more road time vs. dirt time, still tossing around Ridge/Recon.

I put the Cooper STT Pros 37x13.50x17 mounted on KMC xd229 on the JLU, then stacked old tires/wheels to get some twist and could tell there may be some rubbing issues on the trails with the wider profile.

Wonder if 38x12.50 would have similar rub issues to think about.

The Coopers have a lot of tread left (spare replaced and brand new) but at only 5 years old but they've mostly sat for the last 3 years and not sure I'd trust them for long distance driving, may have to make a day trip to see how they handle.

Damn Jeep world problems lol

Top Bottom